Story Contest- Your Own Death

((Took a while to write this up, but hopefully this works!))

Dawn rose over Drustvar, or at least as much dawn as the overcast sky would allow. Just outside of Arom’s Stand a military procession marched. Colors of the Alliance, Kul Tiras, and House Waycrest flew proudly in the cold fluttering breeze, and many of the assembled wore regalia of the Order of Embers. The procession was oddly quiet, with only the clanking of gear and the wagon that was hauled by two large draft horses making any real noise.

The procession arrived at a small clearing that was empty except for a raised platform, with a large bar several feet above it. As some of the men began to prepare the gallows, the wagon was opened and the prisoners were dislodged: two orcs, one blood elf, a goblin, and one pandaren. All five were in chains and rags, and the pandaren blinked his eyes profusely as they were led to the waiting hangmen.

So this is the end, mused Jiantóu.

Three nights ago, a squad of them had been moving quietly through the woods, aiming to discover more about the witchcery that plagued the Kul Tirans and to see if it could be turned to the Dark lady’s aid. There had been nine of them then, led by a dark ranger. However, while resting under a tree, there was an ambush. The dark ranger had slipped away and had left them with the promise of rescue. However, the Forsaken priest had lost his skull to a giant mace. The Highmountain druid had gone bear, and she went down with so many spears and arrows in her hide that it was a wonder she had even been able to swipe the last attacker. The twin Darkspears had gone down with swords in their throats. These least five had been knocked unconscious during the fighting or too wounded to even pose a threat.

And now their judgement time was here.

A young woman with black hair (the last living Waycrest, Jiantóu had gleaned during his imprisonment) began to read aloud in common a long list of charges brought against each of the individuals as the executioners fit them into their nooses. A large crowd had begun to form of civilians from the nearby area. When it came to Jian, however, they needed three nooses, as the rope was not strong enough to haul him up with one.

“And finally, Jiantóu Shadowfur,” spoke Lady Waycrest. “Longtime ally of the Horde. Responsible for the deaths of numerous Alliance soldiers throughout the years….” His rap sheet for the Alliance began to spill forward, but the pandaren tuned it out, instead letting the wind run through his exposed fur as he weighed his last moments.

His thoughts briefly went over the Horde as a whole. Would he be missed? Or would he simply be a nameless casualty to bolster their resolve? After all his service, this was to be his end. What a waste.

“Do any of the guilty have anything to say as their last words?” Lady Waycrest rolled up the lengthy parchment and regarded the remainder of the squad. The two orcs shouted loudly “LOK’TAR OGAR” before the boxes they stood upon were removed. The blood elf said something in Thalassian, and the goblin tried a last minute bribe. During all this, Jian had a final thought.

My family.

He had never been back to the Wandering Isle, and with good reason. He had left on ill terms, and the last words he had ever spoken to his father were in anger and bad taste. And now, he had put off returning and setting things right too long, and they would be forever lost to time. A tear rolled down a furred cheek quietly before he spoke.

“I have only one request…please return my body to the Wandering Isle. Let me go home and tell my father I am sorry.”

The crowd, which had been raving for blood during the previous four executions, suddenly found themselves a little thrown off by the pandaren. The executioner paused, foot on the crate holding the pandaren up, and looked towards the noble woman. Their eyes met, and for a moment it was quiet as the grave before Lady Waycrest gave a small nod. “I will see what I can do.” She then looked at the executioner, and the man shoved the box away.

The three ropes held, but barely.

3 Likes

A sudden ricochet bellowed in the distance, dark sky illuminated with fire that soared through the clouds before making a thunderous impact. The sounds were startling; distinctively deep and shrill at the same time. The fire soon spread, and the sky was ablaze.

Teldrassil. It was burning.

The shattering sound of bark splitting echoed across the seas, practically ringing in the ears of those that were stranded on Darkshore, helplessly watching. The battle left few surviving, with more than half of the Sentinels and druidic covens being decimated in the bloodbath. Despite every skirmish won, the Horde had prevailed - just as the Dark Lady willed it to be so.

Jande Shadeleaf, a veteran Huntress that had seen the world break numerous times, was one such casualty. Her broken body was almost buried in the muddy shores east of Auberdine, armor ruined and quiver empty. A cluster of Forsaken assassins had overpowered her small brigade of Sentinels, slaughtering their sabers and archers like small game.

“Leave her. She will bleed out like the rest,” A voice uttered in hoarse Gutterspeak, ringing in Jande’s ears like the thunder that roared from across the sea.

A few of the women moaned in pain, clutching their wounds as if the blood would stop gushing through their gloved fingers. Others embraced death wordlessly, gutted into silence. Some began to cry. Some found a hand to hold before their strength gave out.

Jande had become delirious in her suffering, hazy eyes rapidly hunting through the dark for nothing but darkness itself. Mindlessly, she continued to recoil in the sands, unable to ignore the prickling pain that blossomed from her lower back and abdomen. Poison. Acidic enough to eat away at her chainmail and leathers, eventually seeping into her flesh with a dull hotness.

The Kaldorei’s hands found the wounds, blindly touching them as if to assure they were, indeed, there. Her blood easily stained her fingers, feeling the rush of liquid pool into her nails. Jande stifled a growlish chuff before it transformed into a hiss.

Then a fiery reflection lapped at the water’s surface, catching the woman’s attention. Twisting her head towards the sea, Jande gazed upon the Crown of the Earth. It was devoured wholly by flame. Each massive branch were like outstretched wings, but the fires grasped at the sky rather than the ground.

The woman quieted a mournful exhale, mouth so dry that she couldn’t speak. The flames before her seemed to sputter and widen, painting both the sky and sea a sickly crimson. Branches and buildings began to fall, hurdling towards the sea and producing a monumental crash of waves that looked more like fire than water. Jande’s breath was ragged as she began to crawl hastily towards the tree husk, muttering in Darnassian. Yet she yowled with each pained spasm, climbing through the sands to move further and further until an icy wave collided into her and pushed her back.

The salt stung at her wounds, inadvertently swallowing much of the water as she resumed her trek. One hand. One foot. One hand. One foot. She was reminded of long forgotten memories and familiar faces. One hand. One foot. One hand. One foot. She created a rhythm, throwing her head back when a wave would surround her, digging her fingers into whatever she could reach.

She lost her footing for a second, and a powerful wave pushed her back once more. Jande cried out in anguish before being swept by the wave entirely. Her limp body returned to the shore, eerily still aside from the frantic rise and fall of her chest. Her eyes were stained with salt and tears, but she could hardly register it. She threw herself over onto her back, mindless to the water that now pulled at her body.

She gazed at the sky that was overcome by smoky clouds and tinges of red. However, through the small slits in the smoke, she caught sight of the moon. There were no more wails from her brigade. No more grumbling ballistas or crackling of bark. There was only the sigh of the wind and sea.

Jande lifted a hand towards that lonely moon before her vision darkened. She felt the waves gather around her body and embrace her for one final time.

4 Likes

Tomorrow is the last day to enter. You have until midnight server (3am et) to submit. Anything after will not be considered for prizes, so if you are wanting in on this, don’t wait until last minute!

(( Agh! Wish I’d have seen this sooner! I may try and write something up tonight, this sounds fun! Thanks for doing this! ))

2 Likes

A life of laughter, of sorrow, of some joy, some regret, and yes, a measure of light, at the end.

She could say that now. She’d written several letters when the illness had taken a turn that had the healers shaking their heads and whispering quietly in the hall.

Lady Amaraithea Emberflame, who had seen and done much in her life for her people and her City- albeit mostly uncelebrated or unknown- was dying.

In her youth, she’d ventured far beyond the borders of Quel’thalas, beyond the borders of her world as they knew it, and even beyond that. She had been privileged to serve the home and City she loved.

She turned her head to look out the window over the landscape of perpetual springtime of Eversong woods, the grounds of her family’s estate. Everything she’d done had gone to keeping her family intact through the ravages of war, through crisis, trying to protect them with every and all the tools at her disposal. The long game: the politics, negotiations, espionage, all of it- moving pieces on the board, and being moved by powers even beyond her. All of it was, ultimately, for a single goal. Now it was coming to an end. There was one move of her own left to make, one piece that could destroy or preserve all she’d worked so hard for.

~*~

A darker shadow deepened the twilight in the room, tore a rift through reality. She should not have been able to do this, but a letter had been written. Permission had, amazingly, been granted.

Kyrriel, once Emberflame, stepped through the rift into a room she’d never thought she’d see again, into a home that was no longer, not for many years, hers. The wards had dropped, as the letter said they would, that would allow a visitor into this room and this room only, for a short amount of time.

She looked around, at the armchairs facing the hearth glowing with mage flame, the open windows that let the perpetual spring breeze through with the scent of flowers from the garden.

"Amara?" Kyrriel called softly, her voice wavering. A child again, intimidated by her older sister. "I came to see you."

“Of course you did.” From the depths of the chair, where Kyrriel didn’t notice, her sister spoke.

“Not even a doubt in your mind?” Kyrriel said, moving boldly and without asking, to sit in the other chair by her sister’s side. She folded her hands in her lap, to hide their shaking.

"None. Truly, do I look that frightening?" Amara said, her voice as strong as ever, despite the fragility of her body, consumed by the illness devouring her from within.

“No. It’s just… it’s been so long. I never thought I would see you again.”

"You made your choice," Amaraithea said, then coughed into a handkerchief. It came away stained with blood. She did not bother to hide it as she may have once done. "You turned your back on your people. On your family. "

“No. You tried to shape me into what you wanted me to be… and like you, I chose my own way. You didn’t want to be a noble, I didn’t want to be a magister… and well… the past is the past. Here we are.”

“Here we are. I am dying, and you are an exile. Ren’dorei. Do you know why I invited you here?”

Amaraithea did not give her sister a chance to respond. She leaned forward, claw-like hands gripping the armrests. "I denounced you, Kyrriel. I have not formally done so until now. I have struck your name from the lineage of House Emberflame. You are no longer an heir to my House. Emberflame will pass to my children uncontested." The coughing took her then, shaking her thin frame, the years of anger, betrayal, the pain hastening the work of the disease that was tearing her apart.

Kyrriel froze, stunned. She then rose to pour the tea waiting on the sideboard, to do something, anything, to hide her shock. She returned, served the tea, which seemed to soothe them both.

Night deepened. The arcane flames in the hearth, being magic, did not waver. They spoke, then, of old times, happier times. Of sea voyages on their father’s ship, of the many parties their mother held whenever he came home from a season at sea. They did not speak of the important things or painful ones, though. Nothing after the exile. Never that. Eventually, Amara allowed Kyrriel to help her to the bed.

Kyrriel left before the dawn, when Amaraithea had fallen asleep.

~*~

When she returned to her tiny apartment in Dalaran, Kyrriel opened the ornate scroll case Amara had given her to take with her when she left.

Kyrriel,

By the time you read this, I will be with the Light. The disease will have taken its toll. Although I have had to formally denounce you, for politics being what they are, know that I have created a trust for you to include all relevant contents of the Emberflame Library and certain artifacts that I believe you would be interested in, along with funds to support you in your endeavors henceforth.
I have also provided you an estate where the books and items will be sent. You will find the deed to Embershadow Manor, bequeathed to Kyrriel, Ren’dorei of the Kirin Tor.
If either of my children show aptitude in the arcane arts, I have given instructions that the Kirin Tor be contacted, and one or both are to be apprenticed to you. Watch over them for me when I no longer can.
Keep them safe.

Shorel’aran,

Amaraithea

Kyrriel wept, then. She had perhaps, at the last, been forgiven.

4 Likes

Last bump for the last day. The deadline is midnight server time so if you’ve been hesitant, now is the time to submit!

I will post the judging rules tomorrow.

1 Like

This one is also quite long. Apologies.

Crimes and Punishments

((Preliminary content warning: suicide))

A bitter gust blows across the north coast of Icecrown. It blows across the sharp water, swaying back and forth all around Northrend, surrounding it, the way the real world surrounds a child’s playground, always waiting, for when the sun sets and the games are over. It blows at the back of a death knight, Quincinatus Shadowbane, who trots gently atop his dreadsteed, Spite, armed to the teeth, approaching the icy cliff. When he’s close enough for his satisfaction, he dismounts. He sits on the cliff’s jagged edge, staring out over the water. A death knight has no need for sitting.

He stares down, straight down, into the ever churning tempest beneath his dangling boots, an unbecoming, melancholy pose for a former commanding officer in the Ebon Blade, an undead war machine looking like a lost child. He stares so that he might witness reflection, true reflection, in the icy water. He wants to see his sallow, gnarled skin, and his cobblestone gray hair, unchanged for the last thirty years, since he died in the aftermath of the Third War. He wants to see his eyes, glowing and permanently half-lidded, unaffected yet also disaffected, with his degraded soul, somehow always filled with disgust yet nothing at all–or nothing relatively, nothing that’s enough, nothing that’s enough for what he’s seen, heard, and done. He wants to see the black cloth that covers his mouth, hiding the swathe of desecration on his face, out of courtesy and out of shame. But Quin is too far up, too far gone, for any of that. He can’t see a thing. The water is too tempestuous, the cliff too high, or the water too low. He had hoped for a clear pond, and he got an empty hole. There is no capacity for reflection here.

The death knight draws the serrated runeblade on his back, purple smoke peeling from the ignited runes. He debated for years about what to do with it. He could shatter it, but someone could recollect the pieces, or enough of it to reforge it. He could throw it in the ocean, but if anyone found out, they could retrieve it, in theory. He discards these considerations, as they’d been keeping him from following through long enough. With the sword resting in his lap, he rests precariously on the empty, misery-sewn hunk of ice, looking just over the toiling sea of death. When does the former become worse than the latter? With this question in mind, he remembers the events of several hours ago.

Night time was hard for Quin Shadowbane. He had tried sleeping before, but for a death knight, the best sleep one ever gets is the mortal’s restless sleep, lying in the darkness only as a formality to separate one day from the next, trying frustratingly to lose consciousness. Instead, he allowed days to bleed into one, a ceaseless, stupefying string of laps the sun makes around Azeroth. To make sure he doesn’t go mad, he tries to get something done in this time.

Under a cloudy, moonless sky, he rides slowly through the wide, rural woods of Elwynn, dressed in his civilian clothes that he wore to functions, functions which he almost never had, but made him feel better to imagine he did have. His armor clacking on the sides of his ghastly steed announces his coming. His steed approaches a small home, nestled in the forest.

Inside, a tired Ken Shadowbane, tired from delivering a sermon that day, flips through pages of an old book through his spectacles, under candlelight. Just before bed time, a knock ccomes at his door. He pauses, before meeting the knock. At this time of night? He had not had visitors this late since he was involved with death knights.

The door swings wide. The old paladin’s face tightens. “Quin,” he groans, his shoulders bunching around his neck. The death knight stands in the doorway, dressed in black clothes, his mask around his face, his unholy cloak wrapped around his shoulders, his rotten runeblade mounted on his back.

“Ken,” the death knight nods, somehow his monotonous voice sounding more cheery than Ken’s. “It’s a pleasure to see you. It’s been a long time.” He looks down at his brother, intending to sound and look affectionate and happy, for those are the feelings he would feel if he were alive, but he’s not alive, he isn’t happy, and he doesn’t look it. A death knight often settles for less in their emotional life.

Ken, now just over fifty, hesitates. He looks over his shoulder, at his empty home. He wasn’t doing anything besides going to bed. “Yeah,” he, again, groans. He steps aside from the doorway, letting the death knight in, acknowledging the inevitable.

“Thank you,” Quin steps through, looking around the place–the bedroom with two beds, one always empty, the kitchen, the dining room. “I don’t think I’ve ever been in here, after all these years. It’s nice.” A death knight’s small talk sounds strange. The words are there, but in Quin’s voice, almost everything sounds like it was read from an actor’s script.

“Uncle Greg kept the place well, him and Aunt Belinda,” Ken recalls. More tombstones. The tombstones of the elderly, rather than the young, at least. Ken disappears into whatever room Quin isn’t in. In this case, it’s the kitchen. He calls, “I know from having death knights here that you probably don’t want anything.”

“That’s correct,” Quin retorts. He stops, eyeing the shrine to Gavinrad the Dire, the tutor to Ken’s tutor, Uncle Greg. He eyes the hammer, still, after all these years, glowing like a torch. Something he could have had.

After pretending to do something in the kitchen, the old paladin returns to the small foyer, finally looking Quin in the iridescent eyes. "What brings you here?"

Quin turns to him, trying to stand straight and dignified. "I just wanted to see you, catch up. Connect with my family."

Somehow, Ken’s face tightens more. He turns from him, and motions towards the bed. He sits on his bed, “Well, come in. I was just reading.” Quin follows and sits on the other, empty bed.

The two brothers sit, facing one another, festering in the candlelight, with nothing to say between them. Ken fidgets, wrings his hands, looks towards his hammer. Though it was twenty years ago, now, seeing the man in front of him brings to mind the weight of the holy hammer in his hands, the weight he raised against Quin, and nearly killed him. A trial by combat, with no one dead. A miracle that only the Light can perform.

But, Quin, the death knight, will be the last to initiate conversation, despite his charismatic personality in life. As soon as the darkness and the quiet settles in, his shoulders slope, and his posture degrades. A glance in every direction reminds him of what he doesn’t have.

Ken breaks the silence, out of courtesy. Maybe he should talk about something he can feel good about. "I remember when we last spoke you talked about reforming a few Cult of the Damned prisoners–and that seemed to show progress."

Quin’s dignified tone falls away, too. Now, something he lost. “They… she, really, died. Illness. Couldn’t recover this time,” he groans, now staring at the floor. A sole friend, an ember in his darkness that he tried, feverishly, over many decades, to turn into a fire. Decades of work to try and convince one person, one person he cared for and respected, somehow, to be a better person, to live a good life. Decades of work to change one person’s life for the better, and she died, as everyone else thought she would, alone, in a cell in Icecrown. He wants to weep, to feel like weeping. But he can’t. He’s a death knight.

Ken sighs, a different perspective. She. He never really knew Death Knight Quin the way he knew living Quin, but if any of the two were alike, this woman was a poor soul that Quin took advantage of, in some way, to make him feel better and help him evade responsibility. “I’m sorry to hear that,” he offers politely.

Quin can’t keep himself from continuing. “I’m… no longer a commander at the Blade. I’ve left, for good.”

"Why? What happened?"

The death knight shrugs his shoulders. He recalls stepping into the timeless, black chamber of the Shadow Vault, where it is never day nor night, after decades of watching close friends and comrades kill themselves, returning after carrying out orders. His ruthless, unfeeling dread commander marched in behind him.

“I couldn’t do it anymore,” the death knight shakes his head. “We… destroyed a small village. Multiple reports, multiple investigations into Cult activity. Every trail ran cold. Dread commander’s orders.”

Ken watches his brother recall, his harsh, tense face softening. Every now and again, in dealing with his brother, he’s reminded that he’s not the same man he was in his life. He watches him speak, with surprising sensitivity and character, the kind of which, despite being undead, he never had in life. He recalls that look he gave him during the duel, before what would have been the killing blow, that look that the Light commanded him to spare. The look that ushered in a shrewd, unholy, battle-ending sword swipe. For as much respect as Ken finds himself helpless to afford Quin, a dark knot of anger sits in his stomach when he looks at him, even at his age.

“And did you stand firm? Insist otherwise?” As the words leave his mouth, something doesn’t sit right with the old paladin–he couldn’t stop them? Die defending the village? This is why, though he was at times a decent fighter, he never made a good soldier–not enough respect for orders.

“I did,” the death knight admits, sorrowfully. “But, even now, days later, I… wish I’d died defending them.”

Ken tries to look at him, look at him the way he does his parishioners, give them a wise, soothing, graceful speech. “You did what you could do,” he says, and that’s it. He pauses and turns to the book on his nightstand. “You’d think they’d remember that kind of thing. Arthas, the Culling of Stratholme. One of the first steps on his path to darkness, and they’ve just emulated it.”

Quin shrugs, again. “You’d think,” he starts, still looking down, now down at his hands, his hands that did nothing to help. “I’ve said the same thing for years now. No one cares. Believe me, I’ve defended that hill for decades. It’s as if the Northrend campaign ended, and defending the world, redeeming ourselves, preventing unholy magic from sweeping over the world, all fell away.”

Ken hides himself in his book. Redemption. Of course that’s what this is about. He recalls a line, handed down to him by his mentor, and from him to his parishioners. Redemption is like sleep–the more you try for it, beg for it, bargain for it, the more it eludes you. It is also like comedy–you can always tell the deficient by their desperation to be proficient. He rolls his jaw. He only hopes to keep the conversation moving. “What’re you going to do now?”

Quin’s chest swells, vestigial breathing. He knows how this’ll be received, but he has to say it anyway. “I want the farm,” he blurts. The farm on the east side of the Thondoril River. The farm whose fate they dueled for. The farm Quin abandoned in his youth, when his parents needed him most. The farm where their parents’ bodies lay–or so they hope. The farm that Quin, as his last act in life, unwittingly condemned to desecration for all eternity.

The old paladin slams his book. He glances again towards his hammer, burning fervently, though he doesn’t any longer–or so he thought. He suddenly rises, firm. “Get out,” he growls.

Quin’s arms slacken. Though it is not visible, his infected jaw hangs. He stares up at the paladin, his younger brother, his eyes wide. “I…” he mutters.

“Get. Out.” The paladin insists, more firmly yet, somehow, more calmly. He doesn’t want to fight. He wants this to be over. He doesn’t want to ever have this conversation again.

Quin’s head drops, hanging by his neck between his shoulders, his hair shrouding his face. He wants to scream, and to feel like screaming. But his impending speech is as dead and coldly delivered as anything else a death knight utters, despite how much he hopes otherwise. “I… I know,” he starts, “I just want… to use my undeath, for once. Use it to live better, to be better. To live a good life, instead of squandering it the way I did my life.”

The old paladin storms away, everything the death knight said only infuriating him further. His hands find his hips. He paces back and forth, in front of the doorway to his bedroom, huffing and puffing. Only after he stands still can he respond. “You don’t get it,” he declares. “You do not get it.”

The death knight, genuinely dumbfounded, rises. “What?” he asks, earnestly. “What… what can I do? To make this better?”

“To make–?!” The paladin reels. He latches his eyes shut and stops himself from shouting. He inhales, and exhales. “Why do you want that farm?”

Quin freezes. “…Why?” he hesitates. He looks around, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. “I don’t know, I… Ma and Pa wanted me to have the farm, so I thought–”

“They did not want you to have the farm!” The paladin shouts, finally. “They wanted you to accept the farm before you left, and take care of them! But, you left to join the army, and the Dawn, and left me to take care of them! After which, of course, you came back, and wanted the farm, and Ma and Pa rightfully refused you!”

A death knight, no matter how much they resist, no matter how much they train, is prone to flaring anger–and the Shadowbanes are already known for their tempers. “What… are you joking?” he retorts, “It was after the Third War, Ken! The Scourge overran Lordaeron! Did you not expect me to go and join?”

"Of course, because civic duty is what that was about! Those empty bottles you hurled at the side of that house, when you were off duty? Those young women that you promised you were going to become a paladin, and a powerful warrior, with a farm? You gave yourself–allegedly unwittingly–to the wiles of a Cult spy, and handed them a death knight, which ravaged the river, and killed his–"

“Get to the point!” the death knight shouts. He doesn’t want to be shouting. He doesn’t want to be angry. This isn’t how this was supposed to go.

“My point,” the paladin continues, “is that you do not get to come around and defile that farm with your presence, after what you’ve done!”

“I’ve done everything!” The death knight cries. If the paladin had neighbors, they would be awake at this very moment. Birds flutter beyond the window. The shout rings in the paladin’s ears. “All of these years! Every moment, those damned shades, tormenting me to my face! Every lingering torment! I’ve done everything to be better! Defended everyone! I’ve suffered thirty long years–!”

"Because you deserve it!" The paladin interjects. Crickets thrum outside. The candles flicker.

Despite both feet on the ground, the death knight feels like he’s swimming. His hands fall to his sides. “Excuse me?” he growls, because he’s angry, but his tone has changed. He didn’t need the paladin to tell him this.

Regardless, the paladin does anyway, and he shouts it. “When you throw a murderer in prison, and he cries and begs and swears that he’s seen the Light, and wants a chance at redemption, do you think they throw him out onto the street?” The paladin is upon the death knight, the death knight that bested him in combat in his prime, the death knight that is taller than him, stronger than him. “Do you think that, if Arthas, after the Citadel had been stormed, threw down that frosted runeblade and said, ‘I’m sorry! I’m so, very, very sorry!’ Fordring would have taken him into his arms and forgiven him? Returned him to paladin training?” Ken shakes his head, without breaking eye contact, “In both cases, both men are offered two things–a priest, and a swift death! Nothing else!”

Quin stares back at him, incensed, according to all his instincts. After everything he’s done? The people he’s saved, the good he’s done? His brow furrows, his face twitches violently. After suffering the torments of the Lich King’s curse, for all of these years? That curse goads him on, implores him to remain angry, furious. But his eyes cannot maintain his flame. They droop, hooding themselves. His body relaxes. His gaze averts. In an act of small virtue, the kind of which he wasn’t capable of in life, he admits, internalizes that he is wrong, in the heat of the moment, despite everything–and, according to the mystical contours of his undeath, he feels nothing. He wants to cry, but there are no tears. He wants to want to cry. But he’s a death knight. And he’s a death knight because his brother is right.

Ken, even more closely than at that fateful duel, bears witness to that change of heart, visible on his face, yet again, twenty years later. But he is not surrounded by the energy of the Holy Light to guide him. He marches past the death knight to his bed. “I thought for years about why the Light commanded me to stay my hand that day,” he spits, looming over his nightstand, “and I thought that the Light respected your virtue. But I see now. You are already in hell, and judgment has already been passed!” The paladin shakes his head, staring out the window at his brother’s reflection, not daring to so much as look at him.

Quin stares into the hilt of his runeblade, a necrotic jewel, resembling an eye, staring back at him. He knew the answers a long time ago, but he looks at them only now–anguished souls fueling his every unnecessary breath, every violent swing, that cements him. His steed neighs unnaturally over his head. On another day, he would think it feels camaraderie. He knows better, now. He stares back into the turbulent ocean, the real world, the thrashing and struggling and punishing that he has forgotten all this time. The death knight turns over his plated shoulder and commands the steed to flee–flee far, far away. It’ll enjoy a more honest afterlife soon enough.

He rises to his feet, still staring down. He fears little, except the judgment that he thought awaited him in true death, but all the convictions that animated him for all these years return. There is good left to do. This is the coward’s way out. Good faith, and honest work can make all of this worth it. But this is no longer about being “worth it,” anymore. There’s nothing to gain. He lost it all thirty years ago, when he threw himself into damnation. It’s time to throw himself out.

He witnesses, almost before his eyes, a line of defense, a vanguard of all the lives he’s touched. Dozens of knights–some murderous villains that he thought he could make better, some honest folk who didn’t deserve the undeath they’ve received, and more than a few noble souls, who lived–and died–far more admirably than he. On the general’s steed, a manipulative, half-blind Cult of the Damned acolyte who promised, though she did not realize it, salvation, if he could just push her over the edge, and convince her to change. All he ever did was prolong the life of a criminal and a monster, to be degraded and tortured by callous death knights for their own gain, while he foolishly played into her hand, nearly freeing her unto the world, sometimes wittingly, sometimes unwittingly, dozens of times.

With that last image, he tosses the runeblade into the ocean. Without a runeblade, a death knight is nothing. It will serve as motivation. He turns his eyes from the sea to the horizon, and remembers one of the most noble of that vanguard, of all those reasons to stay. A noble comrade he met in his first days at the Vault, feeding upon a helpless prisoner with reckless abandon. In his last days with that comrade, she had sworn from killing the innocent, saved several from the Burning of Teldrassil, and still longed, each and every day, to make herself better–not for forgiveness or praise. As this inspiring image conjures before his mind, he feels nothing, and it’s the last of the motivation he needs.

Quin Shadowbane throws himself from the cliff face, never to be seen again.

4 Likes

Guns blazin surrounded by giant turtles, beer and big orcish btches towlong motherfcker yakyakyakyakyakyakyak

What the hell are they teaching at the dojo these days :joy:

1 Like

Niuzao personifies the ride till you die aspect of nature and life on Azeroth you know it’s all there in the lore. Like the trees or the grassy hills of the valley, Obunam does not have time to play games with these hoes.

Ok! It looks like we had one more squeeze in last night, so that’s great. I will write more later once I get it all worked out, but I wanted to thank everyone who participated. I admire both your creativity and your guts for putting yourself out there. They were all a lot of fun to read.

I am at work still but if you will bear with me, I will be posting how I would like the judging to work when I am off. I don’t want to keep you all on edge but I also need to make sure what I envisioned is fair, because every one of you submitted something awesome.

Thank you again for doing this with me.

4 Likes

Honestly, I just had fun doing it. I’ve been trying to write more short stories since whenever I try to write novels I give up after 30 pages. This was good practice.

3 Likes

Ok! It looks like we had 10 entrees, which is a nice number to work with.

In order of submission:

Zatiya
Arm
Altielle
Copperbrow
Korlith
Jiantou
Jande
Amaraithea
Rorrand
Quincinatus

This is how I would like to see judging work:

I want each of the participants to send me a message at Borgg#1292 with their vote for their top 3 picks, in order of their favorites. Please tell me who you are when you do so I can cross you off.

For example:

1. Favorite
  2. Second fav
  3. Third fav

I am doing it this way so the results can remain anonymous but also I have proof if neccessary.

You cannot vote for your own story.

Each first place vote will get 15 points, each second place vote will get 10, and each third place vote will get 5.

Once all 10 of you have sent me your picks, I will add them all up and post the results. The winner will be whoever had the highest score, followed by second place, and then third. After that, I will contact them to give their prizes!

I am doing it this way because I want to be fair. I also think that it is nice to have only the people who entered decide, because you guys were the ones who are most invested. I didn’t want to pick a panel of judges or go based off of “likes” because I didn’t want it to turn into a popularity contest.

I don’t want to have any say because they are all great and I like to remain unbiased. That said, if there is a tie for some reason, I will flip a coin. But hopefully the system will make that unnecessary.

I will ask you to vote honestly. I know everyone wants to win but please do not try to “game the system.” I have thought about how to determine the outcome a lot, and I honestly think this is the most fair way. That said, if anyone has any questions or disagrees, please say so and I would be willing to hear you out.

Thank you again. I will ask people to submit their votes as soon as they are able, but I know people can be busy.

4 Likes

Probably a stupid question but is this in-game via the mail system or through BNet?

1 Like

That is a good question. You can do either. I haven’t played in a while but I have the app on my phone, so while I would prefer it on bnet, I will check Borgg’s mail later this week ingame. I think bnet would be quicker though and also allow xfaction coms.

That said I know I’ve had trouble with bnet in the past so as long as I get it one way or the other, that’s fine. If people don’t mind trying bnet first I’d prefer it, but if that doesn’t work for some reason I will log in later this week on Borgg to dbl check his mail.

That reminds me though- if people wouldn’t mind posting here after they have sent their votes and how they did it, I would appreciate it. That way I can just look here instead of looking and waiting all week.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the clarification. When in doubt, do both, I always say! I’ve got a few Horde alts on this server too so Xfaction isn’t a problem. I’ll take some time to reread everything and give it all a good ponder, furiously stroking my chin for good measure, and then I’ll send you both a BNet and an ingame message by the end of today.

1 Like

Cool deal! No hurry other than how soon you guys want to find out the results. Also it will let me know if my bnet method even works.

I am always open for questions because they help me clarify or consider things I may have missed. So no worries!

1 Like

I’m going to try and get my vote in sometime tonight, before I get lazy.

1 Like

Update: So far I have recieved 3 people’s votes. There is no rush but I know I am excited to see how it turns out as I am sure you all are, so I am bumping this in case the others haven’t seen it yet. Also, if you know each other, please reach out and let them know as well.

I am also bumping it to show off the work you all put in because I feel it deserves recognition.

5 Likes

Soooo this probably betrays how pathetically infrequently I use the app for social stuff, but I honestly couldn’t figure out how to send messages to users who aren’t currently friends (if it is even possible at all), or if it would be too intrusive or presumptuous to send you a friend request just for the purposes of the contest.

Sorry about that :laughing:

Anyway, I hopped on a Horde alt and sent you my three choices via the mail. Please do let me know if you don’t get them by judgment day.

Thanks so much to you for running this contest, and to everyone who wrote something for it. It’s been great fun to both participate and to read other folks’ creative writing pieces.

3 Likes