Stormwind, the worst economy of all?

Isnt it fair to say Stormwind has the worst economy and social system of any nation in Warcraft? Stormwind has a massive population of homeless vagabonds. The Entire population of Westfall for example, was thrust into homelessness after Varian overstretched his funds in the war in northrend.

Sure, the homeless exist in other nations, we see a handful in Silvermoon and Gilneas for example, but Stormwind has by far the most. Topper McNabb for example has been homeless since classic, and through every expansion since then up until today. No one has helped this man in over a decade.

Dont get me wrong, Varian was a valiant leader, but from a economic and financial perspective, he has been a disaster for the fiscal policy of stormwind. Overspending on the military and letting the Stormwind economy rot. Entire Regions have collapsed and their populations forced into homelessness. (Westfall). Other Regions have seen their economies stifled by crime, banditry, and monsters. (Elwynn Forest, Duskwood).

The Economy of Stormwind it self is even hobbled by the corruption of the nobles, something Varian does little to fix. Anduin is hardly any better. He has yet to fix any of the problems Varian has created, Topper McNabb is still on that corner begging, and the population of Westfall is, as far as we know, still homeless.

15 Likes

What is up with these random topics?

Random is good, we cant talk about Sylvanas for the rest of time until the end of all things.

23 Likes

We need a friggin Robespierre up in Stormwind to be honest.

You mean different, more interesting discussions and takes on the Lore?

11 Likes

Nah we just had 3 successive parody threads about something being bad or evil.
Seemingly out of the blue.

If the post is too difficult for you to understand, that doesnt make it a parody. People with appetite for intellectual discussion want these topics. You are free to slither back to your Sylvanas threads.

9 Likes

I think we’ve lost Story Forum.

If you think this is a parody thread, then maybe the subject of macroeconomics in a fictional world is simply too advanced for you to comprehend. Maybe I can find you a nice “Muh Anduin” thread for you to smash your face into the keyboard for.

2 Likes

We’ve definitely lost Story Forum.

What ever, Stormwind’s Broke.

1 Like

All the kingdoms are broke. Save for like… I dunno, goblins maybe?

1 Like

Who is “we”?

Id Say Ironforge and Silvermoon aren’t Broke. Gilneas wasn’t before it got invaded, despite building an absurd wall. Thunder bluff is rich in natural resources.

2 Likes

So then there’s no real standard of economy considering that every nation basically has a different form of currency and wealth. So saying that one has a bad economy over another is basically using a standard that just doesn’t exist in lore.

Silvermoon is pretty broke. They are a client state of the Forsaken.

2 Likes

Well it is difficult to equate one economy to another. But one major factor is destitution. No one else has even a fraction of as many homeless as stormwind does. Unless you count the entire population of gnomes as “homeless” since they lost Gnomeregan.

1 Like

Homelessness is a manifestation of a conglomeration of problems not solvable by a simple job. I mentioned in another thread, the failure to allow other races to build upon the city is a huge pitfall that is blighting the Alliance all together and shows in Anduins attitude towards Tyranda when she asked for the first time: Anduin for aid.

The Nation of Stormwind is strangling the Alliance with its pathological narrow mindedness. As if the War with the Horde is a blanket excuse at the complete lack of internal investment. There is not a single Dwarven building in Stormwind, and while the Kaldorei lost an entire tree l, and our nation is invaded, cities under siege, where are the survivors of Teldrassil? Why isn’t there a tree growing even outside the city? Night Elves like shelter too you know.

3 Likes

They are under the control of Sylvanas, but judging from how their city looks, and how their people dress, I would guestimate they are “above average” when it comes to wealth. We only see 1 homeless person in Silvermoon also, unlike Stormwind with its hordes.

The Wrynns and the house of nobles are not going to invest or allow development of anything which would threaten the Ancien Regime. That’s the most simple answer. Why empower forces in society which might eventually come to see you as no longer necessary for their security and well-being?

It depends. Half their city is still in ruins, same with much of their kingdom. There are parts that do look nice, I can’t lie, and they are beginning to partake in their decadent ways again… but a labor force of enslaved leper gnomes might be the reason why you don’t see many blood Elves in poverty themselves.

6 Likes

Are we sure they are enslaved? What if they’re like that lepper gnome who joined the Forsaken, and willingly worships Sylvanas. Maybe there is an arrangement, the Elves keep the Gnomes safe and fed, in exchange they work for the Elves.

1 Like