Storm, Earth, and Fire: For All Specs?

SEF might make an interesting CD for all specs instead of just Windwalker, as long as it functions similarly, i.e., copying your abilities onto separate targets or onto the same one per command.

Assuming bug-free:

Brewmaster

1. AoE tanking support for wide spreading mobs.
  2. Added dps in mythic, solo, and PvP.

Mistweaver

1. Burst healing, each clone heals different wounded targets or command to heal the same target.
  2. Clones trigger fist weaving talent/legendary when attacking.
  3. Added dps in mythic, solo, and PvP.

Blizz could, of course, let Windwalker have Serenity on default, then give each spec SEF as an high tier talent for those who wish to manage it, similar to how Shaman has different type of Ascension for each of their specs.

1 Like

they just gave every spec a new cooldown

You might be onto something about a classwide monk cooldown that works to give us more value in multi-target scenarios. However, I am personally against SEF, across all its iterations, I don’t think it really fits the class. Splitting into 3 elemental clones is Chen Stormstout’s thing. Monks are mainly unarmed melee combatants who also use life energy in the form Chi to enhance their abilities. What’s that got to do with splitting up into clones?

There’s also the issue of more reliance on pet AI which can be quite troublesome and buggy, to put it mildly.

1 Like

Chen Stormstout was a Brewmaster in WC3, which later turns into a spec in WoW, so it’s definitely a Monk ability. I wonder why Windwalker gets it instead of Brewmaster though, maybe Chen is just a super Monk (he’s worthy of that status, of course), or that Monks can all do this should they train for it, which is why I think it’d fit the flavor if all specs have it. SEF would make Monk more versatile in different situations too, so I’m all for that.

As for the lore, Monk is known to have spiritual connection with supernatural power, primarily with their ancestors and August Celestials, so it wouldn’t be too out of place if they’re able to conjure avatars of themselves in battle.

Or with a slight graphic change, make all clones look just like you (like Mirror Image), it’d be you moving at lightning speed and people are seeing three of you at once.

1 Like

Would have been better if we were the channeler of the power and become the avatars ourselves.

1 Like

The new invoke chiji is really what they should do, they’re there doing stuff, but you’re the one empowered which greatly strengthens your role for that time

basically going super saiyen.

what else does windwalker have that powers us up for a short time? i think it ends with erenity and starts with an S.

hmmmm blizz. hmmmmm. hell it even looks like MUI. ( i really dislike SEF because of all of its issues. i really wish serenity was the baseline DPS CD but it was a massive versa amp with 2 charges. )

I miss original SEF so much. It had zero issues.

One of the earlier legion builds actually had tigereye brew still with 2 charges 30% dmg and healing increase, with SEF staying it’s original form. Then they changed from that and made me cry.

1 Like

yeah they changed it in legion alpha. i think the only reason blizz are too scared to do it for windwalker is we do become a lot like a ret pally. thats why id vastly prefer to see it become a versa amp instead of flat %damage.

1 min CD, 2 charges, 8 second duration, 40% vers amp.

short duration, short CD. gotta play perfectly during it. which is what monks are all about. has counterplay in pvp because of its massive MUI graphic on it. and it can be used offensively or defensively. again, being a master of hand to hand combat, a windwalker should know when and where to use particular abilities because they are the masters of brawling combat.

blizz also then dont have to worry about writing lines and lines of code to make new trinkets, weapon enchants, any stupid borrowed power systems work because of no more SEF. SEF has such a gigantic mountain of issues because of its spaghetti code. blizz should of scrapped it by now.

then it triple dips as well. You would basically be giving a free 20% wall inside your dps cd.
The tigereye was at least trying to stay to our “original” design, honestly would prefer if they just left tigereye alone completely and just have us that new mastery with tigereye.

The original version had zero issues, except player error

thats the whole point.

with the short duration you have to weigh your options, do you burn a charge offensively or defensively. when the saiyens go super saiyen, they get stronger, faster and tougher. invoking the celestials could do the same thing. getting stronger and tougher invoking them into a state of serenity.

we wouldnt need fort brew either, and it stops the silliness of fort>karma’ing for extra dps as well.

the change fixes up a hell of a lot of problems with degenerate gameplay and coding issues, if blizz would just do it.

I’m not so into passive defenses being built into dmg cds (see dh meta)

Babs would hate seeing this

The click and send a clone SEF? I miss that too, especially in BG where you can interrupt opponents from activating capture point. If your caster opponent is on the second floor you can send it to harass him just to delay his casting.

1 Like

Chen’s WC3 ability split you up into 3 unique clones that each had unique abilities and effects, e.g. the fire spirit has max movespeed and fire aura, the earth is magic immune and chucks boulders that stun, the storm spirit is ranged, can cyclone and dispel magic. It required some micro skill of 3 units to get full value out of. In that game, I believe it was explained that Chen has some deep connection with nature that enables him to do this, to the point that he is unique amongst pandaren. Now for some reason, Windwalker gets this ability, and it really doesn’t reflect its WC3 version. Does the Fire spirit do anything with fire, the earth spirit attack with nature damage or rocks, the storm spirit attack with wind or lightning? No. While there is something to the more mystical elements of the monk class, I personally think the implementation of that could be better than what we have in the form of SEF.

As a side note, Chen being classified as a monk always struck me as not totally coherent. He’s from the Wandering Isles and did some training at the school there, but in the lore he never felt content to stay there, which is how be became a wandering brewmaster. I’m ok with him doing some of the monk animations, he did train with monks, but im unsure of him being representative of the monk in warcraft lore. I’ve been wanting to make a larger post for a while now regarding my own thoughts towards the lore surrounding monk, monk characters, and the lack of a coherent identity or theme.