Stop removing portals

1982 DMC DeLorean Mount is now in the cash store! Get your underpowered, Volvo-engined, stainless steel masterpiece!

4 Likes

It really only makes my alts more annoying to get around on, my main has engineering portals, challenge mode portals, all the rep teleport rings, black temple neck, garrison hearth stone, mage portals in the garrison etc.

Is that the intent? (The fix isn’t to nerf the stuff I’m using :stuck_out_tongue:)

Have fun with the Elders world event.

Or Hallows.

or the Fire Festival.

Or a dozen other events that take place in the old world.

8 Likes

Doubly sad, because I bet the time played would actually rise if they stopped trying to make it rise with useless time wasters.

6 Likes

All this does is make travel take longer.

4 Likes

no, it won’t make a difference, because most of it is phased/solo content.

So smart players will skip the artifact quests to keep the portals up? I thought you guys were eschewing game design that provided perverse incentives?

8 Likes

Ok. Giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I personally am referring to the Cavern of Times portal in Legion: Dalaran. This portal takes me to the top of Caverns of Time, at which point i use the bronze drake to fly down and clear Dragon Soul. I am clearing this raid for the Blazing Drake, and Experiment 12-B mounts. (I already have the handmaiden)

Removing this portal would require me to portal to Uldum instead, and fly an additional ~5 minutes to the caverns of time entrance. Then another 2-3 on the Bronze Drake, before even starting. This may not seem like much, but i generally clear it at least twice a week, so that’s 10 minutes per week, or 520 minutes/8 hours and 40 minutes per year.

Now if you care to make those mounts 100% drop rates and get rid of the portal, we can call it even, but until then…

10 Likes

Haven’t played the game in more than a month and I see this.
They don’t want us to like the game anymore.

3 Likes

lol even stevens in my book

1 Like

eh you can still get around pretty quick, especially if you have max speed flying.

Caverns of Time - use Uldum portal instead
Ironforge/Thunder Bluff - yeah that one should be included - although to be fair there is nothing there that isn’t in Org/SW and it’s a short ride via Zep/Tram
Pandaria - Shrine is central, yes, but it’s usefulness was only there because of the other portals. Most people go to Pandaland to farm world bosses and old raids, doesn’t matter where the portal is really.

As for other portals (Wyrmrest Temple, Kara, Dalaran Crater) well what use are they?

there are so many teleport items in the game these days that you don’t really need. like right now on my paladin I have a teleport to Timeless Isle, I have 2 teleports to old Dalaran, I have a teleport to Black Temple, a teleport to Karazhan, a teleport to my garrison shipyard, an item that randomly teleports you anywhere and a ring (on my hunter) that teleports you to the docks in Dazar’alor.

it’s easy to get around if you know how

Caverns of Time -5 minutes extra time may not seem like much but it adds up buddy.
Pandaria - Do you even know where the bosses are? The new portal goes to Jade forest which adds more travel time to Sha, which is where most people start. It’s feasible they could go from Galleon up to Sha up to Ondasta then west to Nalak, but it’s still more time from Jade Forest than it would be from Shrine.

Wyrmrest Temple is a quick way to Icecrown/Ulduar for farming those mounts. A dalaran teleport is faster, but they have LONG cooldowns. Which means when you wipe out ICC in 15ish minutes, you can’t use it again to head towards Ulduar. But you CAN Dalaran hearthstone and portal to wyrmrest, (currently)

2 Likes

This is time gating at it worse. The removal of flying in WoD only to be added after the outrage via a time gate quest, and legion and now BFA. Ion’s opinion of flying and time gating to make things seem longer just sucks.

Those that love to just run should be able to just run and not make the rest of us play that style. If you don’t want to use a port, then take your horse, but don’t make me.

4 Likes

Lesser alternatives does not mean it’s fine to outright remove the better ones.
Pandaria’s Shrine portal is the fastest way to get to the Sha of Anger and every single Raid on the continent.

As for other portals (Wyrmrest Temple, Kara, Dalaran Crater) well what use are they?

Dalaran Crater is the only way for an Alliance player to quickly access the top half of Eastern Kingdoms, required for a few of the holiday events.
Wyrmrest Temple is quick access to the lower sections of Northrend and the cluster of Raids at its base.
Karazhan is the single-fastest way for a Horde player to get to Blackrock Mountain, and the fastest way for both factions to get into both the Legion Dungeon and original Raid variants of Kara itself.

That’s ignoring all supplementary legacy stuff attached, like the time-specific battle pets around Kara, the rare Hunter pets in southern Northrend, etc.

Options may exist, but it’s the fact there’s literally no reason to remove alternate paths that’s the problem. It winds up taking much longer when considering cumulative travel.

6 Likes

What new features are being added that make Azeroth “feel alive”? If I take a port to Theramore and then a flight to Tanaris, how is that going to be any different to the previous flights I’ve taken on the same route?

Nope. Just lest convenient.

13 Likes

NO, this does NOT make the game feel BIGGER. It makes it feel SMALLER because EVERYONE IS FORCED INTO ONE AREA. It creates more clutter, more lag, and less escape from the BIG CITY some of us want nothign to do with.
The world SHRINKS EVERY. SINGLE. TIME a location becomes LESS important than it WAS.

I do NOT want portals removed from ANY city. I want portals in ALL cities. ALL portals.
I want BARBERS in ALL cities.
I want TRANSMOG in ALL cities.
I want Auction houses and BANKS in ALL cities.

THAT IMPORTANTANCE to ALL city locations would make the game feel BIGGER.
Giving players more CHOICE of where to make "HOME’ would make the game feel BIGGER.

THIS is just a FARCE and a prime example of how COMPLETELY out of TOUCH you are with your customers.

13 Likes

That won’t happen because the old world doesn’t change. It’s stagnant. The last time the old world changed was Cataclysm.

Nope. Portals are a QoL matter to quickly go do stuff. Removing Portals does NOT improve the world. The world feels bigger when the world feels alive. The old world is not “alive”. Because nothing changes.

How difficult is it to get to old content? It’s not about difficulty, it’s about the fact Blizzard is removing something put into the game as a matter of quality of life. So we’re not WASTING OUR TIME going back to do old content. Maybe a transmog run, maybe a mount run, whatever. Blizzard REMOVING portals is WASTING OUR TIME.

I know you’re just a community manager and you’re just the messenger. Except the idea that removing portals improves the game is a load of horse manure.

It’s wasting more of our time. Nothing more.

8 Likes

So how exactly do people get their artifacts now? They all require you to go to the plague lands, dragonblight, or duskwoods… Do the people who run this game serious have that little of an understanding of how playing through the game works? This is actually mind blowing to me. I’ve never been the kind of person to complain to devs since i figure a lot of it has some kind of reason, but Jesus Christ this is one of the most embarrassing things I’ve seen blizzard try to defend xD

Who is it at blizzard who keeps pushing the phrase “makes the world feel bigger,” because they seem to use it every time they make getting around more of a pain in the butt. The thing about “making the world feel bigger” is literally the difference between me going “maybe ill get on and do a heroic scholo” for a shot at the toy or “maybe i’ll run mythic kara” for the mount, and me just thinking about flying out there and shrugging instead of getting on. Since the game doesn’t get updated at a good pace the only thing keeping me subbed is old content, so if you want to make it more annoying i guess i wont bother. I say this not so much to bloat the importance of me continuing to sub, but more because i literally don’t believe anyone working on wow was able to make that logical jump and felt i needed to illustrate it.

good luck, deleting parts of your game to make your game feel big or what ever :joy:

6 Likes

You’re correct but it’s all relative. I could propose the following:

Say we lost uldum portal, you still have ability to use Mage portal to theramore or the ship to theramore. That’s still viable. It still gets the job done, but just longer. Thus, if we’re moving portals why not remove uldum, too? (I don’t advocate for this; using it to give my perspective)

The issue I have is “how much inconvenience is ok?” And “why have some portals but not others?”

1 Like

Hear. Hear. /bloody ten characters.