Stop removing portals

Asking this question makes me wonder 1. How much you play and 2. How much old content you do. The majority of my time is spent outside of BFA running around the world farming stuff on multiple characters and this change, for no reason at all, increases the amount of time I have to spend going from place to place. At least that’s my issue, others may have different issues which I’m sure they’ll respond to you with lol.

Because lots of players care and have opinions on it.

7 Likes
  1. I am on every day that I am home! Usually several hours.
  2. I do whatever content is necessary for what I am focused on at the time. Right now, pets and pet battles. I do visit old content as needed, but I park alts in places I need to go to often.

Guess it hasn’t hit me until the change actually takes place though… I might be inconvenienced and have an opinion soon. :smiley:

Ahh I see, thanks. I’m mobile right now so all I could go by is the video, where they pan up slightly to focus on the dragon head, but it doesn’t go all the way up. Will try to check it out tonight.

This is curious to me. How does a portal or lackthereof create fun?

1 Like

Would you consider your fun to be impacted if loading screens were forced to be twice as long for no gameplay benefit?

I’ve been raising this and similar points since the beginning. Prepare yourself for some nastiness, a lot of Whataboutism, and so on.

Gotcha, have you taken a look at the wowhead link posting in the OP?

It should give you an idea of the changes and how it would affect you.

1 Like

Funny, I wasn’t even considering being nasty until you assumed people with differing opinions to yours are nasty.

3 Likes

I came back after a 2 year hiatus back in November. At that time, the loading screen was way longer than I remembered. I was realm and alt hopping for fun and profit on the AH’s, so it was a little challenging. But I worked around it and dealt with it. so, I guess I am a little more easy going than others… maybe? :smiley:

That’s easy. I want to farm Razorfen Downs and various other dungeons throughout the world for xmog. I’m not going to fly all the way there to do so. If (for example, not saying I want this) they added a portal to the outside of RFD’s entrance then I would do it (fun added). Conversely as others have mentioned, there’s a portal to Caverns of Time right now that people use to go to Dragon Soul to farm for mounts and cheeves and whatever, once removed they won’t go (fun removed).

2 Likes

I choose what content to do on my mage and what content to do on my alts based on how easily accessible that content is. The Love Is In The Air dailies are a great example, I only farmed charms on this toon because I didn’t feel like spending literally hours traveling on my alts.

6 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Makes sense. I make the choices based on where my alts are parked as well. I also only use my mage if the area doesn’t have an easy way to get there for other classes. :smiley:

If you’re taking it personally, then that’s on you, and only you can decide how to act. My comment is is in regards to personal vitriol I have experienced during this discussion.

That would be an issue with loading times, I mean if Blizzard specifically decided “you know, loading times are too short, we should make them longer”.

I tested it the other day, getting from Zandalar to Dragon Soul took over twice as long as it currently does when I pretended the CoT portal doesn’t exist. Bornakk says it’s to “make the world feel bigger”, but if my goal is getting to Caverns of Time a bigger world just means more time between actual gameplay, more time spent in loading screens and auto-flight. There is no benefit to it for me, or other collectors, who tend to use these portals to get to where we want to be a lot more frequently than people who only play new content.

It’s not a matter of “working around it” or “dealing with it”; I can quite easily do that. I’ve rolled with many punches before. The issue here is Blizzard are specifically deciding to make it take longer to get places we can currently get to for no reason other than making the world “feel big”, which they could accomplish by halving mount speeds or flight path speeds, but they don’t seem to consider that.

To clarify, I calculated it out thus: if these portals didn’t exist back in the WoD transition to Legion, I would have spent literally an hour-plus per week extra just getting to where I wanted to be to play the game.

2 Likes

I think we may look at this differently. Technically, the “fun” hasn’t been removed. The convenience to get to the “fun” might have been, but the “fun” itself is still there and can still be run! (assuming farming content to try and get a very rare drop is fun)

I’m sorry you’ve been treated that way, then. Some people get overly heated at other players.

I generally only get heated when people act like my opinions are somehow flawed or not important, and that has happened to me frequently in the past, so I assumed the worst with your post. My bad.

2 Likes

That makes sense! I think to deal with it I would probably park an alt in a location that is something I want to run all the time for a specific reason. If that isn’t possible, then I have to decide if what I am trying to get is still worth the time commitment to achieve it.

That’s why I have so many alts, too, but it turns out I prefer trying to knock out as many different raids as possible on as many characters - which means just parking in front of one place isn’t as useful. In Legion and WoD I could set Hearthstones nearby because we had expansion-specific Hearthstones, but we didn’t get one in BfA so it’s basically a choice between current or new content.

1 Like

Say you have a movie theater ten minutes from your house, and you like going to the movies. You go to the movies every Saturday. Would you be pleased if, for no reason, they shut that theater down and moved it an hour away? Would you be as inclined to go every Saturday, or would you find other things to do on your weekends?