Stop comparing todays players to 2005

All I hear is “back in the day” when ever someone tries to discuss an obvious flaw such as the AV map in classic.

We :clap: were :clap: garbage :clap: back :clap: then.

Our internet sucked, PC could barely run the game over 30fps, and everything was new, players was still figuring things out.

Now a days, you can make a living off playing video games. So Min-Maxing, playing competitively, taking things serious in video games is just the culture now. All of the casuals went to mobile. We had 15 years to figure out whats the best way to do things in Classic, and the Hardcore players are exposing the age and the flaws of this game.

11 Likes

" Stop comparing todays players to 2005"

You realize by calling players garbage back then you are comparing them to today’s players?

23 Likes

…are you actually under the impression Alliance players didn’t whine about the AV map and other “exposed” “obvious flaws” in 2005?

I promise you, they did. Just as much as they do now.

2 Likes

Yes, but it didn’t matter much because the AV bg as it is now wasn’t present for that long before BC hit, and both sides used a base race strat for the most part in late vanilla. Alliance won a decent share of games, perhaps even more than 50% at points.

This horde “scorched earth/min-max 30 minutes with 5940 honor” strategy is a wholly new thing.

1 Like

I ran the game on cable internet at around 150fps… so I don’t know what you are smoking. It wasn’t 1995… in major cities high speed internet was the norm, and warcraft runs just fine on a potato PC.

Even right now, TODAY I can check my internet logs and see that Warcraft uses a whole TWO kilobytes a second.

Had it occurred to you that players back then INVENTED competitive play and e-sports? They were the pioneers that did all the hard work so you can look up the information on WOWhead like putting in a cheat code.

But yeah… players were garbage back then bro.

Good thing this isn’t vanilla.

7 Likes

Technically only had about 3, the other 12 were private servers trying to emulate the vanilla experience. Since they were unofficial and you could lose your progress at a moments notice, people have multiple vanilla server cycles under their belt since the servers would die and they had to do it again. This also created the large amount of knowledge of how raid tiers and patches effect the economy and getting prepared for the next raid tier so you can just smash it.

Without the private servers for 12 years? I would bet money the game would be way less toxic and tryhard than it is today, but it would also be no where near as popular and probably wouldn’t exist.

I mean, the players getting world firsts now are pretty much the same as the ones getting them 15 years ago.

They were, and are, ahead of the curve, but compared to today they played like garbage back then.

Was there a point to this thread? “I’m going to make a thread to state the obvious.”

Btw, the earth is round. Just so you know.

game was better 15 years ago

5 Likes

And you know they played like garbage how?

Does not having an instruction manual, cheater guide available the moment they run into a minor inconvenience mean those playersd are bad?
Who wrote those articles on wowhead?..

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

3 Likes

Are you denying the best players got better over time? After playing the game for 15 years?

1 Like

Go pug wsg on alliance side. Its like 2005 all over again. People are still garbage. The min maxers are breaking the game left and right, but the garbo players are still there.

1 Like

The players are the same… they were nice enough to hand you the cheat codes.

2 Likes

Say it ain’t so! You mean there’s garbage players today???

That’s impossible

Exactly and it was changed in TBC because it was an issue. Why they settled on 1.12 AV when they have the previous versions is beyond me.

Top end players in this game do not follow the meta, though, they create it. There is a lot of stuff kept close to the chest at the top end in both PvE and PvP - even from your own guildies.

Sure it’s not as vast as back then, for obvious reasons. Even if you look at Elitist Jerks they had inside knowledge of the game because they worked for Blizzard, no?

Only women and eunuchs use clap hands between every word.

5 Likes

You can watch youtube videos of boss kills and pvp and see how bad they played.

Today’s players are the 2005 players. We’re just older, wiser, better.

Yeah, battlegrounds were a mess. Orcs just dropped their swords and shields and started punching. Wizzards cast “Invisible” and “Popcorn” and sat back to watch the action. Flag carriers usually went to the wrong goal. Half the time player were fighting players on their own team…

Yeah, nobody knew how to play back then…

2 Likes