Still able to play after sub expires?

Hey, i’m really new to wow and i’m quite confused on something. I got a sub about a month ago and yet i’m still able to login and play my character. Is there some sort of timer after my sub runs out in which i’m still able to play? If anyone could explain this to me that would be great!

Blizzard occasionally offers a couple of days grace period after a sub runs out to allow folks a chance to add time.

They don’t do it every time but will if they feel someone will usually resub on time but just forgot to add time to their account.

Time is purchased in 30 day blocks, which isn’t the same thing as purchasing a month of time so people sometimes forget the exact day they have to resub.

If your paid gametime runs out, you can continue to play any characters on your account that are Level 20 or lower. Any characters Level 21 and above will be locked until more gametime is added. You will also be able to create new characters and play them up through Level 20 (like a Starter account) without any paid gametime.