Step 1 - Cash Grab. Step 2 - Grab More Cash

Open beta account here. Seems like I can get beta at will. But I won’t.

Truly disgusted with the way the beta has been handled. I think I’m far from alone. I think we’re owed an explanation minimally, or preferably a better beta selection process.

Cash grab #1:

Apparently to get into the beta you have to be subbed. What’s this? PAY-TO-PLAY BETA? Cue stammering from Billy Madison.

Cash grab #2:

Everyone is waiting to get character names. The obvious fair way to make names available is first come first served. BUT WAIT. If you sub for two weeks before classic goes live, you get a huge head start on names. I guess that’s Actiblizz’s take on leveling the playing field.

19 Likes

How’s that? People need to know.

1 Like

You can always not pay to play the beta, this is not an early access.

Are you really going to sub just to take a name?. Then people wonder why loot boxes, dlc and microtransactions exist.

4 Likes

Honestly, as silly as it is to pay 15 dollars to reserve 3 names early, I’m actually quite glad I wont be spending my first day on Classic racing the other however-many-numbers of people to log on, to dodge queue times, to try and reserve all my names with the potential for crashes and such.

2 Likes

Well, if you time it right, you can reserve your names and get in on launch under one block of time.

Seems to carry weight.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/help-us-track-beta-invite-progress/175790

But it’s hardly the basis of the argument.

So we’re ok as a community with eating corporate farts for cash?

2 Likes

They don’t care man.

Enjoy the product if you do - there are bigger injustices in the world.

4 Likes

Most, no, but I think it speaks for itself that there is a thread congratulating Blizzard on giving us the choice to reserve old namesakes.

It’s no secret that every and any company is willing to squeeze out every penny we own, so at least we can be pleased when it’s a company we’re willing to pay money to.

By the definition of “cash grab” that these forums use (literally anything that Blizzard dares to charge for, apparently), Classic itself is a cash grab. Because they wouldn’t be making it if they didn’t think they could make money off of it. But you don’t think of it that way because it’s something you want. Funny how that works.

Two weeks, huh? How many monthly subscriptions will you be charged in those two weeks?

2 Likes

I’m using the definition where a cash grab is something you charge for that you shouldn’t.

3 Likes

You know you just need time on the account right? Whether its through a wow token you bought with gold or game time gifted by a friend. You don’t need just a sub. It’s not really much of a cash grab since you will meet the criteria that anyone else can meet if you are just playing the game.

I’ve had since the Classic announcement to come up with a list of names for multiple character. Unlikely all of them will be taken, so no need for me to sub early.

1 Like

bruh why you so dam worried about blizzard… enjoy classic and stop complaining…

2 Likes

Really? You consider it a 'huge" headstart on the game?

Blizzard is re-releasing one of their biggest hits. They know it and we know it.

They’re gonna milk it.

However, you can only remaster your old games for so long.

2 Likes

OP is gonna be surprised when he finds out you need an actual subscription to play live Classic for realsies. Imagine a company charging money for a product or service.

/r/ChoosingBeggers

4 Likes

They’re monetizing things they shouldn’t. That’s the point of this thread.

Um, nope. Known it would be sub based since classic was first announced as something they were doing. Never once even entertained the thought it would be anything less than a sub.

Names.

1 Like

I’m only shocked that you’re shocked. I knew this was coming the day they announced Activision and Blizzard were partnering up.

Based off how many times I have to see to people on whenever Blizzard announces a new game or new expansion and going on beta starts the next day and that next day is today and you didnt get invited to test, let me tell this, beta isn’t early access.

But back to the main point here, for your first point, you need to be subbed? yeah cause Blizzard want’s paying customers and not some customer who has played for a week and stop playing. However there are cases of Blizzard did invite people who never played or played wow and quit but now in the future, thats not the case. Again they want paying customers, especially who has been playing since 04 to test if they are doing it right. The first point isn’t that cash grabby by definition.

For your other point, again it isn’t that cash grabby if you wanted to play classic at launch, its practically a way if you want to reserve your name on the server before its taken, while yes you get to claim name head start but again, it isn’t cash grabby in my opinion either.

1. Not everyone (or even most players) will get into Beta. It’s a limited Beta. They always have been. The only time they gave everyone the opportunity to get into the Beta (MoP) it was a sh*t show.

2. Only letting subscribers get into the Beta seems valid since those people are the ones most likely to actually play Classic.

3. Re: character names, see 2.