Steel Trap theory craft

Hello,

With the current dmg profile of Steel Trap and its use on a single target… what situations do you imagine you’d take this talent? The tar trap AOE 4 second root may be enough to fulfill the same goal. I think the damage of this ability should be buffed… of course tuning hasn’t happened yet, but what are yalls thoughts?

Steel trap is a good talent; however, it has a few problems. First and most important its position. This is one of the worst end-game talents. The second is its path. There is no synergy with Best master, Keen eyesight, or serrated shots. This feels bad. This talent should be at the very top.

Shouldn’t the damage be buffed by serrated shots? It is not currently on PTR… thought this was a bug.

Nvr take ST.

It is currently in hard pvp only placement atm.

Yes, serrated shots should buff it, but I wonder how good this will be. I mean can it be used on bosses, seems very unlikely. That is why I thought about having caltrops instead. Ont the other hand Caltrops could be like rank 2 tar trap or something.

ST can work for you, you need to create a macro, then key bind it. In truth, all the traps need the macro and key bind. ST has become the wild spirit or night fae ability with a ground target.

What ST can do is give you bleed damage. With SS in front of it, you can trap and get serious bleed damage from the trap. It can help with leveling. In pvp it can help do different things with CC and damage. It has uses, you just need to understand how and when to use it.

Now as having it in a raid environment, that remains to be seen.

Just give it to SV hunter. Nothing special there. They will have single target dot with improved traps, and it will make survival unique with extra crowd control and as well it will give some extra damage.

ST is great but compared to other end-tier talents is lacking. Let’s say that the bleed damage is insane. Can you say it is better than Seraphim, Hearth of the Wild, or Abomination Limb?

Why does steel trap need to be better than abilities from other classes? It just has to be better or on par with other damage talents in the tier like Explosive shot, barrage, or death chakram

1 Like

Nah you only ever take it in PvP, but at this point you lose serpent sting to even try to take steel trap.

Basically, with the way talents are right now, you ever take steel trap.

You NEVER take steel trap. SS does far more damage. Plus the clunkiness of having to cast it mid rotation can really screw up flow. Plus you have to account for the potential of missing on unexplained boss movements. Always best to go for the gaurenteed dmg.

1 Like

I take steel trap in my mobile MM PvP build. Mainly because arctic bolas is too big of a roadblock to pick up explosive shot.

1 Like

You are missing the point here. Steel Trap is great but is not a tier-end ability. It has great utility mostly on PVP, but its use in PvE scenarios is going to be limited. Are you telling me that you rather have SS over something like Black Arrow?

Tbh this sounds more like a tuning concern cause non of the end talent points are utility related