Stealth ability doesn’t feel stealthy because of Spy

How many abilities would be going off in a normal BG? Spy would be sending you so many abilitiy notices, you’d have to shut it down. I’ve seen this with my own eyes at a SS/TM fight. My son PvPs and uses Spy. He was inundated by ability pings, and eventually turned it off because it was more of a distraction than a help.

I’m not saying it doesn’t make people aware of you I’m just saying the instances in where that’s actually helpful aren’t as numerous as you’d think.

Same with AV, capturing flags

1 Like

How is spy not OP when I know someone is next to me and I just click their name then mind vision. When I would of had no idea they were hiding behind a rock, tree, etc… You can be a shaman and use farsight then have spy activate if anyone is in that spot. Overpowered as heck! Anyone supporting it likes it, because gives them an advantage cause they suck at the game or they’re just being ignorant. It should not let you target people from the addon.

3 Likes

Not for anything, but you do realize that the rogue class is be design, not intended to go red faced, screams of Oden’s furry, frothing at the mouth, berzerking into combat?

They are by design intended to use sneak attacks, stealth, poisons etc.

It is kind of silly to call people names for playing the class as it is designed, i mean no one calls a holy priest a pansy for not running towards a pack of plated warriors screaming Valhalla and swinging a stick and wearing less armor than a Victoria Secret model.

It’s actually not.
This is not only a classic addon, retail has it too.
In a BG it becomes a blob of useless overload, i’ve seen peoples screenshots (and wondered how could they even play like that, wall to wall dots)

Spy is not the only addon for alerting to stealth being cast, though it may be the oldest one in use, it has been around since like 2007 i think, it was around before it went on curseforge (now twitter)
Spy, wiezPVP, Paranoia Enemy Alert, Retarget are a few, and i think ElvUI has or had a detect stealth function

The add on doesn’t see through stealth.

Look I understand your point of view, I really do, but Spy doesn’t take away much if anything from anyone. It’s a thorn in the paw of “stealthies” to be sure, but class breaking? No. If you’re a 1 trick pony you’re going to have to either wait for the addon to be taken down, or you’re more likely going to have to evolve and adapt. You have a large arsenal at your disposal, use it.

Please don’t take offense at these posts, there’s a bit of role play attached. I apologize if any are truly insulted.

Thank you Gythriel for pointing this out so I can address it.

Not AFTER stealth.
You can’t MV me AFTER i have gone dark, you have to do it while i am still visible, or keep trying until i become targetable again.

By the way, if i was already stealthed, and you did not see me stealth
Spy would tell you nothing, i could walk up and spam you with emotes and that would be the 1st clue that you were not alone.

Also, i dont think, but would have to check to be sure, that farsight takes your combat log away from your body, only your vision, which would make you Spy-less so to speak.

Sorry, I guess I got sidetracked there are so many spy threads, I was just speaking in general not towards stealthy. Spy does work with farsight, we tried it in Felhood and that’s how we got many of our kills. Unless I misinterpreted my buddy.

Edit: I was the elrayray post, I just switch to my classic profile

1 Like

This mods pretty game breaking for anyone with stealth it effectively makes us very targetable.

3 Likes

Not sure, what you would have to do is go farsight some event out of your combat log range (i dont have a shammy to try)
And see if the events register in your combat log.

Now if they do, i would want to try a second test, and see if events
back where your body really is still register when your farsight is 400 yards away, reason being if your sight registers and body does not, you know you are leaving yourself vulnerable, which would be good to know maybe?

How is it not game breaking when someone can click the name and send their pet in even when they have absolutely no vision of the enemy? And they know exactly who they are up against even through walls, gates etc.

2 Likes

Here just to show that I’m not personally biased against rogues I’ve written you a story about a brave rogue… we will call him… Fharticus.

Our story begins in Stranglethorn Vale. Our hero, Fharticus, having valiantly coated his weapons in a gleaming sheen of poison sets off in search of danger.
Having been alerted that a foe of untold powers was spotted near the ocean, our savior, with no thought to his personal safety, stealths into righteous invisibility.
Then, up ahead, on the beach… The villain is finally revealed to our silent avenger. A mighty mage of not twenty, or twenty one, but twenty two levels.
Our hero understands the duplicity of these gnomish beasts. They are far more cunning and dangerous than normal prey.
As he closes in to deliver devastation on the diminutive fiend, the mages head raises and he scans the area for brave Fharticus. HE KNOWS. The gnome magician is using Spy !!!
What will our invisible instrument of bravery do?
Tune in next week… same time, same channel.

1 Like

Because that’s how both targeting and pet attacks work in WoW…

You can not
You have to send the pet to attack before the stealth is cast.
If you do that, yes the pet will continue to go and knock the rogue out of stealth.
That is by design, see the updates thread.

But, you can not send pet after the fact.
Even if you know i stealthed, and you know i was in or around the farm house, after i stealthed, unless you can make me become seen, like say flares or goggles etc, you can not pick me to send pet after.

If you are persistent, you can run around and keep trying to target me for when i come out of stealth, if i decide to actually stay in the vicinity of a mad flare flinging hunter and his pet, but i probably wont choose to do that.

Another thing, lets say i am behind a wall
You are 50 yards away.
For giggles i pop stealth (prowl for me)
Ok so you get this alert right? You see my name.
It is too late at that moment to click my name to target me, you will have to find me unstealthed
Now, your maps pings, except it does not ping my location, it pings where you are standing.
Now, you dont know if i am behind the wall 50 yards away, i am behind the little barrel 4 yards away, i am behind the hay stack 100 yards away, or i am watching you from the window of the barn 200 yards away.
You only know i am someplace within a 200 yard circle of you, i could be right behind you, or i could be far away and not even bothering with you.
All you really know for certain is that i stealthed, and i am not your faction, where it goes from there is up for grabs.

In fairness, if i stealth 4 yards away behind a beer barrel, and you dont see the big bright giant enemy health bar poking around the barrel, you were probably meeting a bad end soon anyways

Plot error, needs editing.
If our hero stealths and THEN goes out into the world in search of the wicked Gnome, the Gnomes spy will fail to warn of anything, and the movie will end prematurely with the Gnome getting ganked, does not make for good climatic ending battle

2 Likes

I never said how far away he was when he stealthed.

While I think the developer was very clever in the way that he designed the addon, I too believe that it should be removed from the game. The effect on stealth (not just rogues, but Druids and NElves as well) are pretty obvious, but I feel like it negatively affects pretty much everyone overall.

The shame is that night elves already have bad racials. Their only decent racial was shadowmeld, which has now been nerfed hard with spy.

Streamers, everyone, is saying Ban Spy. Esfand, and tons of other streamers I dont even like have all been saying its time to remove Spy. one Add On should not change a game’s meta or alter how people play.

It’s legit ruining the spirit of PvP. not for stealth but for everyone. You can’t even use terrain to your advantage anymore and thats how many people fight in Wpvp.

It doesn’t matter how, just do it, or even make spy a bannable add on if its detected.

4 Likes

Totally changes the meta and ruins the game. Not “classic“ at all. Nothing “classic” about spy no matter how much these 19 year old gamer boys tell you there is.

3 Likes