Started New Toon What a joke!

I’m a returning player and figured i would start a new character to see how leveling has changed. I created an Undead Warlock. OMG what a joke to level. I hit level 6 in like 30 minutes and that was with me just doing what I wanted. You get your spells and pets free. New armor had same stats but sold for more I was kiting 4 to 6 mobs with no loss to mana and minimal health loss. I could not die from adds. I hit level 20 in under 3 hours. I switched to my old main and again mana and health were no issue. Spell rotation was so easy and I could kill everything around me. Was able to level from 100 to 110 in under 6.5 hours with lots of gold to spare. Going to try raids next I hope for more of a challenge.
I talked to some other players who informed me about WOW Classic come soon. If raiding is new release is not a challange I will just start over in WOW Classic were I started with Alpha.

Happy hunting all,

2 Likes

I found leveling quite slow and tedious… Took me a couple of weeks to hit level 32 on a shaman… Mind you it felt like doing the same quests in every zone which made it a tad boring.
Maybe it was the class I was using… I ended up boosting to 110 on a druid… Still felt slow going. Took about 30 hrs in game to hit 120…

2 Likes

As long as you are having fun it is all good. For me it just seems very easy to lvl and I do not get the warm fuzzy when I gain new items or I level up.
I think I’m to old school so I have decided to wait for Classic WOW.

Happy playing!

This is completely accurate, it’s a joke now. They have changed leveling so drastically - they basically are forcing levels on you.

Leveling is bad.

Your secondary stats go down every time you level up and you lose access to tons of content by leveling too quickly.

With the changes they’ve made, you should completely change your mindset about leveling. It’s more akin to aging.

Each level gained will force you to upgrade your equipment and permanently stop you from running certain dungeons.

And if you try to turn off XP to try and enjoy the content longer, you won’t be able to queue for anything because they put xp-off in a separate queue that will never pop.

Blizz does not really want people engaging the old content, they want you to buy BFA and do current content at max level only. They expect everyone to boost their toons.

2 Likes

Only for PvP, not for dungeons.

It sounds like the last time you played was probably back in Vanilla? Probably no later than WotLK?

There have been a lot of “quality of life” changes to the game in the past 15 years since WoW originally released. This includes making leveling go more quickly (due to the fact that you’re looking at 120 levels-worth of grinding rather than 60 or 70 levels), simplifications to rotation and class playstyles (including things like automatic spell learning at set levels, and faster mana regen before hitting level 10 and selecting a spec), and a general rescaling of mob difficulty following three separate stat squishes.

Progression raiding on the current tier is always a challenge, but how much or little of one depends largely on the skill level of the group you’re running with. My (Mythic progression) raid team basically steamrolled our way through Normal in about 3 hours (most of which time was spent on the last boss), and has made it most of the way through Heroic. We entirely expect to clear Heroic and at least one or two bosses in Mythic this coming week, and we’re probably about the average for a Mythic team (comparing ourselves to the other Mythic team in our guild who only killed 3 Heroic bosses and I think 5 Normal bosses this week).

its dungeons too, last time i tried

EDIT: Confirmd

Sorry, don’t mean to be argumentative, but this is not true. Not true at all.

I have several level locked characters that run dungeons no problem - people in my groups level up all the time.

They did make a change that limited xp gains for pre-made groups running instances if one character was locked - but this only impacts the grouped players… so if you were locked and a buddy wasn’t, then you grouped up and queued for randoms, the rest of the group would gain xp as normal, but your buddy wouldn’t if you were locked. They did it to try to limit selling leveling runs.

I’ve done this on several characters and my queue times are exactly the same and i am always in groups where the “level up” message displays when another character levels up.

1 Like

You are correct, xp off can queue dungeons with levelers. I remember having problems with queues not popping before, but it seems to work just fine now.

While the questing experience has suffered greatly from all the changes over the past 10 years.

In no way is classic wow remotely challenging when compared to the main endgame content we’ve had for many expansions now. The lfr versions of raids have more mechanics than any of the old vanilla raids and those lfr raids hardly have any at all.

Then you factor in how many bad players we had back then mixed with poor internet connections and machines and that’s where the challenge came from.

All that’s left will be bad players for classic since a toaster can probably run classic at this point. The game simply won’t feel the same or challenging if you apply all the knowledge you’ve learned over the years along with the tech advancements. Also worth mentioning the hundreds if not thousands of guides and videos out there on every piece of classic content.

Classic will be wow on training wheels as far as I’m concerned. Should be a really nice thing to play though when I just wanna mindlessly play a game and not think to much. It was always way more tedious than skill intensive… so for me the classic leveling experience will just be tedious as I’ve done it dozens of times before.

The only real difference between classic leveling and current leveling is just how much more value you put into wasting your time with tedious mobs and slow combat versus a leveling style that’s meant to push you towards endgame as soon as possible since that’s when it truly begins.

1 Like

Speaking of undead leveling, the Silverpines forest quest storyline is one of my favs.

1 Like

all content is always available, regardless of level.

you are never locked out from running dungeons.
not ever.
you will get to a point where you can’t use the dungeon finder for certain content, but you can still go to the entry and enter the “old fashioned” way.

gear doesn’t “need” to be upgraded every level.
you can if you want, but why bother when you’re going to out-level it so quickly?

1 Like

This, so much this!

Yes that’s what I’m talking about. I don’t want to try to solo the content I want to play it with a team.

The way it’s setup right now, you will outlevel many dungeons before ever getting to play them with a group.

Not everyone is trying to get to max level as fast as possible. Especially for a new player, there is a ton of content that is very difficult to enjoy because the popular mindset pushes everyone into super fast leveling.

My point is that you get weaker each time you level. This can be noticeable especially with something like haste.

this is much less likely than it was, because the level ranges of the dungeons have been expanded beyond their previously assigned expansions.

Dungeons have been removed from my dungeon finder despite me still being within the advertised level cap. This was very frustrating for me. Content would get unlocked and then disappear the very next level even though it showed the range being 10 levels when it was unlocked.

Not sure if it’s a bug, but it happened on all my toons.

1. Secondary stats like haste, crit, etc are kind of irrelevant prior to level 80-85-ish. You simply can’t get enough to make a significant difference to game play - e.g. you can’t accumulate enough haste prior to then to get an extra attack swing within your rotation. At 80-85-ish, they start to have a small impact upon game play which gradually increases as you level.
    Each time you level you make progress towards learning new, more powerful abilities which more than offset the impact of a weak amount of secondary stats.

2. Weaker than what? Do you become too weak to do something? You are not intended to have “just enough” stats to kill a mob. You have more than enough.
    Mob difficultly to kill is indicated by the mob displaying as various colors based upon your level difference - not upon the secondary stat difference between you and the mob. Your biggest impact upon mobs while leveling is your level, not your secondaries.

3. Secondaries only really matter at level cap when you have all of your abilities and are able tune them with secondary stats to maximize their strength.

Secondaries do matter, and they are noticeable. Having too little haste makes the game less fun regardless of the level, while mastery gives you more abilities that can alter gameplay dramatically. My mage wasn’t fun until I got enough mastery to satisfy the mana demands. These things go down every level making you feel weaker than you were before.