Stake Your Claim (of Lore!)

I’ve made a thread like this in the past, but it’s been a few years since and so I thought I’d bring it out again:

If you could make an in-game accomplishment canonically yours, which would you pick?

Our characters are all citizens of Azeroth, and when it comes to the story, they’re all expected to share it. This means your fellow players will look at you with squinted eyes and pursed lips if you claim to have vanquished Hogger, let alone Deathwing.

Of course there’s always been some wiggle room allowed; you can claim your orc participated in the first and second wars so long as you give him grey hair, and your demon hunter has probably at least been near Illidan before. But I’m talking one step above. What if you could pick a specific moment in WoW’s overall story to have been accomplished by YOU, officially recognized by the company and in-game characters, and anyone who complains receives a hand written letter signed by Chris Metzen and J.R.R Tolkien and the President and Jesus telling them to suck a lemon.

Would you have been the one to beat that one boss? To have completed that one questline that always stuck with you? Or even have your guild or a player-organized RP event regarded as canon? What would you want your character to be known for?

1 Like

I would claim Master of Warsong Gulch.

1 Like

I would claim victory over the Lich King. Just so my tauren could stand over him triumphant as the light fades from Arthas eyes.

4 Likes

Yep. That was me.

7 Likes

Right before Sylvanas said: “Burn it!”

I accidentally dropped my lit bowl of Felweed onto one of the Arcane Payloads that the Catapults were loaded with…

It looked cooler than it felt.

1 Like

The green fire quests, I was pretty proud of myself earning those green flames.

1 Like

…I…

I was scooped! My throne!

Okay, new plan. My dwarf monk is the winner of Brewfest. Blue ribbon porter.

2 Likes

I invented goats

4 Likes

I was the one that secured funding for Cozy Campfire for Warchief. It won fair and square, the election was rigged!

If I understand your question correctly though…Autai is the Crazy Cat Lady of Argus…except with Marsuuls.

3 Likes

It was you who had confounded the mighty Sargeras with those space cats! Huzza! :dracthyr_nod: :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

(Yes, I call Marsuuls space cats. Sue me :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:)

2 Likes

I would have been the true last wielder of Xal’atath before Wrathion stabbed N’zoth with it!

Hoping to run into her again someday :smiling_face_with_tear:

(Also for nostalgia’s sake, I’d like to be the one to have vanquished Stitches - and perhaps Knucklerot and Luzran for a Horde equivalent claim!)

Sorry. I hate PvP, but am addicted to reputations, and while I was working on earning the Justicar title I amazingly happened to get all the achievements for Warsong Gulch (something I can’t claim for any of the other battlegrounds), so if there is one achievement I had to claim it would have to be a win for the Night Elves.

2 Likes

Killing Arthas.

Because I’m still miffed that the only undead character even involved in ICC was one Argent who’s killed and puppeteered by the Lich King again.

3 Likes

It was always super bothersome that Arthas wasn’t Sylvanas’ kill IMO.

Would be cool to be canonically the one who sent Arthas careening into the Shadowlands!

3 Likes

Can we do it for one of our characters or all of them? If so;

This Death Knight of mine was the one who got the pieces of Frostmourne and helped make them into a weapon against the Legion. If it has to be a boss kill, then it was Thadeus who got the killing blow on Kel’thuzad in the Shadowlands.

If I can add another character, my Lightforged Draenei paladin alt was the one to get the killing blow on Kil’jaeden in Legion.

1 Like

I think I’ve decided on what mine would be, and it happened in Shadowlands no less.

It was early in the expansion, and I was in a group clearing De Other Side. Mueh’zala had managed to kill three of our party members, so all that was left was me and a Zandalari paladin. We managed to dodge his attacks, break his totems, and chip away the last bit of health needed to capture him.

After it was over, one of our dead party said, “This is my headcanon for this fight, just a Darkspear and Zandalari being kings.”

It was genuinely one of the most flattering things I’ve been told in my time playing.

Oh yeah, there were some lightforged draenei that arrived at the order halls before then, so it actually does sync up chronologically! Not that I ever made a rule about that.

4 Likes

Always feels great to finish off Mueh’zala when half/most of the team is dead. Feels like you’re downing a raid boss.

Glorious.

3 Likes

I am a modest person- my nelf druid was among those who rescued the lost Cenarion Expedition druids from the Underbog, encountering and slaying the Black Stalker, and helped tame/destroy much of the dangerous wildlife of the Zangarmarsh.

My female human mage, who was inspired in-universe and out by Jaina Proudmoore, was one of the Alliance support who arrived just after the destruction of Theramore and helped her take vengeance on the Horde forces still within the city’s ruins.

During the Cataclysm my Draenei shaman working on behest of the Earthen Ring, undertook the quest to Deepholm to make peace with Therazane, recover the Pillar pieces, and destroy the cultist threat in the Stonecore.

My orc warlock is the Maw Walker who mainly aided the Venthyr in overthrowing Denathruis. Okay, so they’re not all that modest.

My tauren warrior helped the tauren and goblins of 1,000 Needles before the Cataclsym, only to return there years later after it was destroyed and tried to save what was left.

And Skarm here infiltrated the Dragonmaw orcs of Netherwing Ledge, sabotaging their efforts and gaining the friendship of the Netherwing flight.

2 Likes

If we’re allowed alts, I’d have my Night Elf Marksman Hunter be the Huntmaster that united the Night Elves, High Elves, and Blood Elves in defeating Hakkar the Houndmaster.

(Someone else can claim the Hunter Legionfall campaign, though. I didn’t do it on my Marksman Hunter. I did do it on my Night Elf Survival Hunter for the mounts, but it was dumb quest entertaining Odyn).

1 Like

I existed before human paladins.

Canonically.

5 Likes