Stagger is a broken mess

Take all my gear off, have around 15% stagger. I go spin on some mob, it goes to 38%.
Why? It should go to 30, shuffle says it increases the effectiveness of stagger by 100%.

I put my gear back on, I’m at 35% stagger. I go spin on some mob, it goes to 64%.
Why? It should go to 70%, shuffle says it increases the effectiveness of stagger by 100%.

I spec into high tolerance. My stagger goes from 35.46% to 39.46%.
Sike. You thought adding 4% would add 4%? No, this is a lie. Adding the 4% from high tolerance makes my stagger go from 35.46 to 39.74, not 39.46 like it should. Why?
And of course with shuffle is doesn’t go to 79.48 like it should, instead it goes to 68.51.
Also important to note that being naked with high tolerance makes my stagger go from 15.72 to 18.29. Now it gives less than 4% instead of more… because I’m naked? What is this?

Why is none of that working as intended? Or is the intention just bad and confusing on purpose? This isn’t a “diminishing return” thing as you can see shuffle adds more when I’m naked, but high tolerance doesn’t, but with gear on high tolerance gives more than 4%.

What’s more, stagger dmg has zero delay, the first tick comes at the same time as the hit itself, by definition being not staggered, because to be staggered means it should come later than the hit. Open the combat log for fun and look at how the hit and the first tick of stagger come in at the exact same time. Effectively making the entire mechanic stagger less dmg than it advertises (or at least the stagger+purify imaginary combo), on top of the stat already being lower % than what it should be. Even if you try to really purify 50% of it, you will not achieve that, you are forced to take at least 1 tick, most likely 2 in a realistic situations because 2 ticks damage you in the first 0.5 second of being hit.

Why is it such a mess? Shouldn’t fixing some of that help the class in general? Is there a place where the actual math for this mechanic is shown in a comprehensible manner?

4 Likes