SSD? Do we have to upgrade or computers every xpac now?

You can get a 250gb SSD for ~$70.

The luddite behavior and hysteria associated with the change to needing SSD (before this recent news) explains a lot of things about the WoW community.

2 Likes

This game has had some of the most lenient minimum requirements for almost two decades and rarely requires any significant hardware upgrades. SSDā€™s are now ubiquitous, cheap, and standard for most any system built or purchased in the last 4-5 years. Expecting your chromebook to be future-proof for a constantly evolving game is, frankly, a ridiculous position

2 Likes

But then it wonā€™t work because i threw all the innards into the trash. What to doā€¦ what to doā€¦

Buy new cheap Chinese parts! They only last a few weeks anyway.

1 Like

ā€œDo you guys not have SSDs?ā€

2 Likes

I do not have these ssdā€™s. Are they new and expensive?

I dislike the ā€œwow is an old gameā€ argument anytime itā€™s used to justify blizzardā€™s actions. This game is not 16 years old.

1. Cata happened. They revamped a lot of the older code with it. The main purpose of that expansion was remodeling the old world.

2. Expansions cost roughly what a new game would cost.

Shadowlands $40
Amazonā€™s New World $40
Doom Eternal $51

Put another way Doom Eternal cost $51. Wow cost $156 per year plus $20 per year for the expacks.

We keep paying full, new game prices for every expansion along with a sub. Then when anyone complains about a feature or how something looks the counter argument is ā€œwow is an old gameā€ what do you expect.

I expect that since Iā€™m paying $176 per year for a single game that it will be a better value than at least 3 other titles I could be buying each year.

2 Likes

I have the GT 620 and the game still works for me. It may not in SLs though.

I need to upgrade it along with memory too.

You can get external ssd for around the same price, too.

SSDs are so cheap now there isnt any excuse. I honestly dont know how people play this game without an SSD, is your time not worth anything? You are wasting away your life sitting on loading screens.

And its not even REQUIRED, so why are you complaining? You can still be miserable and slow if you want.

If BFA made people buy new rigs everyone should have an SSD. If you built a rig in the past 5 years and it didnt have an SSD youre an idiot.

2 Likes

your hdd will do the job ; itā€™s just ā€¦ not optimal.

obsolete if you will. kinda like someone using a 5 inch thick cell-phone while everyone else has a neat thin smart-phone

This is also a great tool to see if you can run it, and what is needed for an upgrade
Its called Can you run it?

USB drives are typically much slower than SATA or M.2 drives.

Itā€™s a 16 year old game where there are major changes every two years that you have to then buy at the price of a new game. If you want a 16 year old game that doesnā€™t change, there are plenty of choices out there for you. However, thatā€™s not how MMOs like WoW are supposed to work.

2 Likes

A lot of people posting here about how easy it is to come by a SSD. Thatā€™s assuming of course their MB supports a SSD or else they would basically need a new rig.

uhā€¦ any mb that meets minimum requirements to play the game would support an SSD

4 Likes

if someoneā€™s motherboard doesnt have a good ol sata port ; its not looking good.

the upgrade was overdue lol

2 Likes

I have no problem running BfA with the Radeon RX 550. I run the game on a mix of high, medium, and low settings. I can get up to 200 FPS in certain low pop areas, 80 in high pop areas, and 50 in raid when everyone is using spells and what not. I canā€™t believe that Iā€™d go from that to 25 or less FPS in SL.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry you had to do that Kaivax :frowning: