Spy Classic Addon needs to go

Not really…those that didnt want to pvp wouldn’t anyway. Those that wanted to pvp in the first place are the ones that benefit. Like other said it doesn’t help the gankees much unless in specific conditions… so, overall this addon is more beneficial to gankers, which idk if it was the intended design lol

You defeated your own argument when you said “experts”. If an addon makes non-experts as good as the meta experts all due to an addon, that’s a giant advantage over anyone that does not have it.

I don’t care how much of an “expert” anyone thinks they are, but they can’t be be fighting even 2 other people while reading the combat log, with Spy, I can be fighting mobs, another person, drinking juice and eating a cookie, and Spy will tell me if some random person I don’t see behind me goes stealth.

I think WoW would be much better off without 99% of the addons, I can understand UI addons but that’s about it. The game is more fun when you can’t just bypass everything within it with addons. Most of the addons you listed ruin many aspects of the game, npc scanners, auctioneer, resource mapping. Like why even have any aspect of exploration and adventure in a game if you just want everything handed to you? Let’s just get to the point where we all just press 1 key and it does everything for us at 100% efficiency

1 Like

i like all the rogues and druids who don’t know how it works getting mad at it lol

Again, Spy only works OUT OF COMBAT. Specifically:

1 Like

also finding it intesting it is always people who hate any type of addon who want spy broken

1 Like

Yeah, these are Vanilla purists who don’t realize Classic is not Vanilla and was never going to be. You’d have to go back in time.

Its not that it is a burden. Its that it changes how the game is played at a fundamental level. Even more so for WPVP/PVP.

Sometimes people that make these kind of things just take it one step to far. This is an example of that and that is why we have a 800 post thread about it now.

Ehh, spy still works for me when I’m fighting mobs.

It shouldn’t be able to unless Blizzard relaxed the API restrictions on combat. The only in-combat features that should work during combat are the alerts.

800 posts by how many different players? How many even understand the addon? Can’t use post quantity alone to assess the importance of the issue.

While I don’t really have an issue with SPY, to compare an addon that warns you of incoming computer/programatically controlled events to something that removes one of the perks of a class/race i.e. stealthies seems a little out of touch.

Filtering and watching combat logs was almost an unwritten law when playing on a pvp server in vanilla. I mean really is it my fault you chose the wrong server to play on if you didn’t want the challenge watching your back while questing in the dangerous wilds or entering and physically having to watch a flag ? Besides, I personally think it removes one of the best parts of the game…
the anxious feeling you get knowing that you might get attacked / ganked by an unseen assailant if you aren’t paying attention to the audible and visual queues that are built in to let you know you are being stalked.

You still get the detection notification in combat. Sound and number. Just not the target plate.

As for numbers. Do you see anything else with this level of attention? LFG was the only other I recall and it has already gone through -adjustments-.

There are plenty of accuracies and inaccuracies from both sides in this particular thread. However, at this point - I know Blues have certainly taken note of it. That is good enough for me.

This is true.
Now please show me how you shared it over online and offline players with 100% uptime and how they instantly had access tot he data you collected. It seems like an automating addon over player’s logs.
They banned an aoutomating addon over a LFG channel.
I dont see spy lasting here.

Thanks for the addon name, I’ll let my friends know which it was! Not sure if you meant to reverse advertise by complaining about it, but thanks. (Or thanks whoever bumped this 20 day old post back up.)

I saw something like it being used in Outland when I was levelling up in retail wow but didn’t know a name for one to use in classic. One in retail would even throw out coordinates or at least a zone name or something.

you’re in luck spy also throws out coords, race and sometimes class

i’ve never seen it throw out race. it’s shown class and levels and even the latter it has to sometimes guess at until I mouse over the player.

You’re right; that is a personal viewpoint. Never have I ever felt anxious playing in a World PvP zone — with or without Spy — in Vanilla, Retail, and Classic. Especially without Honor, getting ganked or ambushed when you’re trying to get things done has always been merely annoying to me.

How other people choose to play on a PvP realm and what realms they choose to play on aren’t decisions you’re responsible for making.

even with spy a stealthed rogue still has the advantage. it’s not like the addon is unstealthing them and removing their ability to stunlock you to death. if a rogue is struggling to gank someone in WPvP then they probably aren’t a good rogue and spy has nothing to do with that.

It does help thou. If it picks up a guy stealthed near me, I can turn pet on aggressive, look for him with rank 1 rain of fire, and/or run around spam clicking their name in the spy list + a DoT hotkey.

Well the beneath players already summarized valid arguments, but I’ll repeat them again.

DBM automates the ability timers of raid bosses, instances, etc. Yet a wide variety of people back then and now used these addons. Addons aren’t anything new, they were designed in a way to make some gameplay effect easier to go along with. DBM for timers so everyone is on the same track. Auctioneer to help players with economy. UI changes for those who want to see something different on their screen in terms of action bars, player health, mana resource etc.

All of these are doable without addons, but if you’re going to try and say it automates it so break it then you’ll have to persuade the masses to continue without addons.

I have SPY and those features work IN COMBAT.