Spy Classic Addon needs to go

How about they just not break any addon?

This community is strange. I’m a fairly prolific modder for dozens of games. If the developers of any of those games deliberately broke mods or made creating them more difficult, those communities would be up in arms.

When Techland and the Entertainment Software Association were filing DMCA notices to take down shader mods, /r/dyinglight and /r/games banded together, generated a massive amount of press coverage, and forced the ESA to apologize.

Here, you have players actively trying to take down mods/addons they don’t like.

That’s a yikes from me.

There’s no point in trying to stop things that existed fine before. The people that want a sterile experience will ultimately destroy everything.

If it was fine before, it should be fine now. Gutting everything takes away from the overall experience. At this rate, they’re going to turn Classic into another themepark and that ish is really annoying.

LMAO mad kids gonna be mad. “true classic experience” LOOOOOOOL

“breaks world pvp” LOOOOOOL

just uninstall

leave it to the whiny vocal minority to try and ruin everyone else’s day

1 Like

There’s nuance to what I posted you missed.

I said the coordinates in chat spam were not as helpful as some of you - who have not used the addon - are making it out to be.

As for being fine with any addon going away, being fine with breaking addons, I’ll never be fine with that. I’m not fine with that at all. I think the “cancel culture” around addons is distasteful and shows a complete lack of respect for the time, knowledge, and skill it takes to develop these addons.

At least for me, it’s not about this particular addon. The API functionality it uses though is a core part of dozens, if not hundreds, of other addons that I, and others, do use.

To be honest, I really don’t think you have a shot at getting Blizzard to take action against Spy, but I’d rather not risk it by letting people complain about it unopposed.

Cancel culture? You are cancelling the ability for any stealth class to be effective in wpvp. Spy announces via the combat log when someone goes stealth nearby, before you or they can even visually see each other most of the time due to the combat log range. So you think it’s fine to cancel out Rogues/Druids because you’re a Mage who wants to aoe farm without dealing with actually participating in wPvP on a PvP server?

Your argument about time and effort is silly, Blizzard, players, everyone puts time and effort into this game.

The bottom line is, the people who want to keep this addon just want it because it gives them an unfair advantage against those who don’t use it.

Why is it so hard to fathom that if you don’t see someone, you should not be alerted to their presence in any manner? That destroys immersion and wpvp.

that logical jump is absolutely amazing

and not in a good way

If you want the entire game automated for you, mage, just go back to retail. You also can’t call one of the most popular posts on the forum a “vocal minority”

i can and did. you are posting on a forum in 2019, you are the minority lmao

and why don’t you post on your classic char instead of a sub-par retail one? :slight_smile:

Done.

It’s okay, you just want even more advantages than you already have, mage, to compensate for your obvious lack of ability. Gnome Mage…which streamer told you what class to play and how to play it with what addons?

Go back to retail.

In any manner? Why not advocate for removing that event from the combat log, at least on PvP servers? That sounds like a better approach than waging war against an addon, a war whose casualties would include other addons that depend on the ability to read chat and the combat log. You know, the innocuous chat addons, or the valuable raid addons that every raiding guild uses.

Not really, no. You’re alerted that a player has gone stealth, not their position. Stealthed players don’t even appear in the Nearby List. All you know is they’re somewhere within the combat log range, which you yourself admit is long.

On a related note, even knowing this, I’ve been ganked so many times by rogues and druids. If anything, Spy gives its users a blind spot.

• If nobody’s in the Nearby List, you think you’re safe - but if players don’t appear in the combat log, they won’t appear in the list.
  • If a player was already in stealth, you don’t get a notification, so you’re thinking you’re safe just at that moment when they backstab you.
  • If you run around zones like Stranglethorn Vale, you’re overwhelmed by alerts, so you start to filter them out; they’re just noise. Most other players aren’t trying to gank you, so you think you’re safe — until you encounter the one party that decided to go hunting.
1 Like

Are you really pushing the argument that stealth is the only way for a rogue or druid to be “effective” in wpvp? I mean, I’ve seen rogues and druids win duels before… hard for a target to be much more prepared than that.

As a rogue, I’m fine with people getting a notification that I just went into stealth.

Let them tremble…

Let them fear…

When will I attack? Will I at all? Have I left?

Let the mind games begin…

1 Like

Addons and mods have their place however, in my personal opinion WOW is to open on this front. There is a competitive component to WOW and we shouldn’t be required to run things like this just to be on a level playing field.

• If nobody’s in the Nearby List, you think you’re safe - but if players don’t appear in the combat log, they won’t appear in the list.
  • If a player was already in stealth, you don’t get a notification, so you’re thinking you’re safe just at that moment when they backstab you.
  • If you run around zones like Stranglethorn Vale, you’re overwhelmed by alerts, so you start to filter them out; they’re just noise. Most other players aren’t trying to gank you, so you think you’re safe — until you encounter the one party that decided to go hunting.

Thats no different than without the addon. The extra function of the addon is to let you know if anyone on your KOS list is nearby, then you definitely know someone is hostile after being ganked once.

Also more than helping the gankee, this helps gankers ALOT, the radius is big so you can detect players from far away and chase/hunt them down. Probs stuff like this wont be banned though, its super amazing on hunter with track humaniod, no one can run from you literally

Definitely. Spy can be used by gankers, gankees, and players just trying to do their own thing, but the addon encourages more PvP, including guild vs. guild PvP, than critics realize. It’s much, much less useful for avoiding PvP. Hell, Spy even tracks your win/loss record against each opponent.

Okay Sarah Sanders, It does NOT encourage more PVP, it enhances two types of personalities within the world of pvp, gankers and non-participants, not the greatest thing. You also have an supremely unfair advantage against anyone that does not have the mod, keep ganking them or even just running and hiding and they will stop playing/pvp’ing.

Plenty of addons give you an edge that others won’t have without them.

It’s not difficult at all to click the Install button in the Twitch client. Don’t act like it’s such a burden to install an addon. We play the same game.

You’re right for once, plenty of addons give an edge. I’m not for most addons but I can understand some folks like QoL improvements, it basically comes down to when does an addon go too far in giving an edge or ruining game play. This addon goes too far, it automates too much that a person would not be able to do.

Damage/healing/threat meters, market value auction posting, rare NPC scanners and auto targeters, drop rate recording and display, herb/ore/pool mapping, and so on and so forth. There is a metric ton of addons that would meet your criteria of “automating too much that a person would not be able to do.” Something tells me you’re not familiar with the addon ecosystem.

Moreover, Spy only analyzes the combat log. Anyone can look at the combat log. Expert players can analyze the combat log out of combat (Spy only works out of combat) at least as fast as the addon. Spy provides the same kind of value that any other addon does but for PvP.