Spy Classic Addon needs to go

ok, you win. you should tell all your friends so they can throw you a big party to celebrate

They have broke WowCensus today, so im sure they can break this addons too.

You could do this in vanilla it’s called NPC scan…just add a player name to the list and when it find’s them BAM you know they where around.

This is what literally every addon in the entire game does, especially ones like DBM. No human could possibly do all of the things DBM does while playing the game. That’s the point of addons.

These have been part of the game for a decade and a half. They aren’t going away. Deal with it, or quit.

1 Like

Did they target WowCensus or did they target something else? I can imagine that the same API that could be used to mass spam gold seller links to players could also be used in mass character censuses. Breaking one thing can afflict another.

1 Like

Technically, yes.

It makes it a bit simpler but once you see a name in the combat log it’s a simple matter of ‘/target name’ to do exactly what you described. It’s an extra step, sure, but that’s something Macros have been streamlining since Vanilla.

It defeats them how? A player’s ability to locate where someone is? The addon alerts you when someone is nearby based on ability use. You could keep your combat log open (as some people do), see if a name you don’t know pops up, and be able to /target spam to locate if that person is near you. This addon simply does that.

if its no different than opening your combat log then there is no need for the add on. In reality it automates it and gives advantage through alerts and warnings. Break it.

Please explain how Spy is in any way different from DBM.

Back in the day i didnt need an add on. Whenever an enemy was near my potato would lag prior to seeing them. The main problems i have with spy is the chat spam and the coordinates to the enemies location.

You don’t by chance play horde on Kirtanos do you? Kirtanos had at least a 2-1 H to A ratio.

Just hit 60 two nights ago as an AOE farming mage. Spy add-on helps me remember who’s going to gank and who is just going to farm. My experiences are that UD mages always gank. Trolls not so much :joy:

1 Like

That’s a pretty weak argument. Virtually every addon performs automation and gives the user an advantage. Boss mods, damage meters and threat meters can make you a better raider. Quest addons will help you level faster. Resource node trackers will help you be more efficient at gathering.

I assume your follow-up argument will be that players using those addons don’t directly affect your gameplay. That may be true for you, personally, but certainly not true for all of us. If other healers are using Clique+Grid and out perform me and thus I don’t get a raid slot, that affects me. If someone using a resource node tracker can gather more efficiently thus denying me resources, that affects me. If a player uses an auction addon to more efficiently process and react to changes in the economy, that affects me.

I can understand you don’t like that this addon exists, but can we at least be a little reasonable about our reactions. Arguing that “it automates and gives advantage, so break it” is just a tad bit draconian.

1 Like

Spy tells you where, though. Exact coords of the player

Spy can show you on the zone map where opponents you’ve engaged were last encountered, but it can’t show you the coordinates of players in real time.

I actually thought about hacking in auto target into Spy, but you don’t want your target to keep changing as new players show up in the combat log. That would make playing the game very difficult, nevermind PvP.

1 Like

Where they were detected. It does not track.

THIS ADDON NEEDS TO GO

They broke census mods but keep this addon…what the hell.

The chat spam is definitely a problem. Someone told me to turn off the Local Defense spam and I did; it was annoying me, too. The addon dev needs to work on reducing spam and the amount of text sent out when that feature is enabled.

As for coordinates, those coordinates aren’t the enemy player’s coordinates; those are the coordinates for the general area of the zone where that player was spotted. The coordinates are rounded so they’re inexact, and enemy players are almost always on the move so by the time anyone arrives at that location, the coordinates data is outdated. It’s honestly not that helpful and just as precise as saying “near the Verdantis River.”

You could notify the client only of actions that would show on screen. That would be a big change in server code, though.

If it’s not “that helpful” then you should be fine with it going away, why do you even use it?