Spriest vs warlock

Looking for opinions for a returning player wanting to start a fresh class/character.

Spriests - any thoughts on your dragon flight talents?

Warlocks - are we expecting any significant playstyle changes from SL?

What do you guys think about the current and potential futures of these classes in PvP?

Thanks!

Warlocks are expecting unbuffed corruption or immolate to do the same damage per tick as feral frenzy, if the last 30 seasons of undeserved whining are anything to go by

5 Likes

lock will always have 1 viable spec each season at least

sp is kinda hit or miss but personally i enjoy it more because it has more survivability generally, the new talents seem cool but very mindbender focused

i am maining both SP and warlock Currently.
I say it depends.

Warlocks are tankyer and have mobility in a fixed point where you have tele and gate.
SP can get mobility but its during your TWO major Defense CD.
Both get shadowlocked with nothing to do.
SP can provide decent healing to team.
Warlock has more Dot / rot dps AOE with Malefic Rupture currently imo.
While SP has more single target burst pressure.

SP has a stronger silence and instant cast Stun with horror.
warlock can deathcoil, fear spam, and shadowfury.

Talent wise:
For now, i don’t really see reworks happening with the current priest build, at least for SP. so if the Cthulu theme annoys you or if you don’t like cthulu form, you might not like SP in DF as much.

my build:
(https://www.wowhead.com/dragonflight-talent-calc/AABrQAEQGYGAVASQoJCgUBAABmOVRUVFEVgIBKCAYBA)

I hate voidform and i hate the cthulu theme. I prefer old shadow. SO i made a build without voidform. Seems like it MIGHT be possible to avoid being forced of getting VF. But if it gets nerfed, you are always at risk of being forced back.

TBH, I feel like they aren’t doing major class reworks right now. so im deciding to just main envoker over SP or warlock.

Summary:
Most likely No reworks on classes or very light.
Lock for stronger AOE pressure and more rot theme.
SP for more Single target dmg with mix of rot and burst spells.
both will be pillared LOS really bad by enemy :slight_smile:
Lock usually has one good spec, usually is Destro.
SP, if it sucks it sucks you are done.

My thing is that if you’re trying to play competitively, lock has the higher ceiling imo. Especially because you can swap between specs if one ends up tuned stronger and you don’t mind.

I would never main a DPS that doesn’t have the option for multiple dps specs for that reason. The added versitility in pvp and pve is massive.

I’d alt shadow though. The talent trees look promising

Probably best you wait and make a decision when DF talent trees become available to view for all warlock specs.

The spriest talent tree looks quite intriguing. You would have the option to opt in for less damage, but more utility/support + hybrid gameplay from the looks of it.

I’m curious to see if they’ll be making any changes to the overall class design for warlock though. All 3 specs have been designed atrociously this xpac, so its definitely something many lock players will be looking forward to.

Cookie cutter build 2.0 same as it’s been since the dawn of time, they tried to force us to go “Single Target” or “AoE” choices this expansion but it looks like they dropped out of that. I’m not expecting a lot of flexibility based on the setup.

Waiting for the talent tree to drop.

Warlock is like Mage, at some point or another one of the three specs will be viable in all forms of content. Priest is a hybrid therefor it’s kinda at the whim of whoever happens to be swinging the nerf hammer.

Warlocks stronger atm in Shadowlands.

I prefer shadow myself but if youre purely DPS warlock is a safer bet as you have 3 DPS specs.

Looking at the dragon flight priest talents theres no real differenece from current talents/build so playstyles the same. youll see shadow use Mindgames as the main change.

Looks like shadow will get their 30sec cd fear back which is huge.