[Spoilers] The Kaldorei in 9.2.5

I couldn’t find a thread here made specifically for this, and found many things left undiscussed, so here we are.

There were 2 major developments for them:

One being the Winter Queen handing over the Sister’s Tear - now called a World Seed apparently- to Tyrande in the following cutscene -

After the cutscene, Shandris, Ysera and Tyrande have some dialogue. Tyrande asks Ysera why the WQ calls the tear a “seed”. Ysera states that it is touched both by the Dream (retcon-Elune) and Ardenweald. Tyrande says that it must be protected, to which Ysera responds there is a place (Dragon Isles?) that Merithra would know about.

Ysera also states that it would take “great sacrifice” to bring her back, as she is bound by the WQ’s magic to Ardenweald, to which Tyrande says she would do whatever it takes. Ysera says no need for it, and that perhaps she will return one day if “Elune wills it”

Takeaways:
-The tear is a seed, with the souls from Teldrassil linked to it somehow. The seed develops into a new world tree I guess. What form the souls will take in this new tree is unclear.
-Ysera may return one day
-Some retcons, such as Elune being linked to the Dream, likely now because of her affiliation to life.
-No news on a new home for them as of now, as the seed would take time to be protected and grow, but maybe they would build one in Hyjal meanwhile.

The second development was the night elf Dark Rangers. Calia says that if “Tyrande welcomes them back” they are free to join the Alliance, so the ones that came back are those Tyrande/ the night elves took in. I’ve seen no sign of Delaryn on the Alliance side.

I am not sure if other alliance players get a mention of Ren’dorei dark rangers instead, as I tried this on a night elf character and Velonara spoke as if only the night elf dark rangers were returning, with no mention of void elf ones.
But there are still night elf dark rangers on the Horde, as Velonara says that “many of them wish to remain here”.
It is a bit funny that Blizz managed to piss off both sides with the dark ranger development, by giving Horde kaldorei undead, and giving Alliance players blood and night elf dark rangers.

22 Likes

I’m excited to see where this development takes the Kaldorei and I’ll be interested to see if Tyrande or any other Night Elf characters mention anything on the Darkfallen Kaldorei who chose to return. Delaryn appears to be staying in Lordaeron for good though.

I’m also curious if they will do anything with those souls who are empowering the seed, if they will be something wisp-like or if perhaps their souls are going into speeding up it’s growth?

I don’t think they should’ve given the Alliance both flavors of Dark Ranger to be honest. It should have been NE and BE to keep the scales balanced. Giving a quintessentially Forsaken identifier to the Alliance after villainizing them for two expansions seems really weird and I can understand why people are mad. That being said, I do quite like the skin on NE, and it doesn’t make me feel any type of way that there are Darkfallen Kaldorei in the Horde now. I wish they had just given the Horde an option to be one if they are going to shove them there.

12 Likes

What I really disliked above all else is the fact that “most” kaldorei Dark Rangers want to stay on the Horde to live with the ones who killed them and apparently are now ok to start killing their friends and family.

25 Likes

Well, technically Velonara says “many” not “most” and Blizzard doesn’t like giving proper estimates either way.

It is a bit stupid though, IMO, for them to trade away their thousands of years with the night elves who are openly welcoming them back, where their own Kaldorei undead brethren are going to stay, in order to remain with a few others who are much more new to them, and with the faction which caused them their suffering in the first place. I don’t think Blizzard understands the depth of what they are supposed to be addressing.

12 Likes

Yeah, agreed. I get that Domination magic severely alters your perception, but it seems like Blizzard is picking and choosing which characters this applies to. It should’ve been all or nothing.

It would’ve been a good story opportunity to have Delaryn return to the Alliance with all of the Darkfallen Kaldorei so that they could throw away this weird narrative of ‘Elune has abandoned us, therefore I must slaughter my people.’ Which falls in the same vein of stupid storytelling along with the Jailer’s ‘I must dominate everyone to save them’ and Sylvanas’ ‘I must join the Jailer who is responsible for everything I abhor’

Reasons™

27 Likes

Shes with Velonara and when asked if she woukd return to the Alliance, she said no. From my read of it, she feels that she cant. She made her choice, fought against the night elves, and cant take that back.

9 Likes

Do you have a transcript of her line? Or is it “no” like the vague line by Sira “we had our reasons” type of no?

Im at work right now but there is more detail in her lines over reasons. Its logic that makes sense to at least.

It makes no sense that ANY Dark Ranger chose to remain with the Horde. Like Sylvanas was everything to them. The entire sub faction should have followed her into the Maw. That would be consequent regarding the lore.

That was the problem. Their “free will” thing doesn’t make sense if they are just Sylvanas slaves.
And Sylvanas had been slowly and surely going from treating them as sisters/brethren to her personal servants.

5 Likes

Night Elf souls are going to be used as fertilizer for a new tree. There is not much to be excited for here but lets see where this leads.

8 Likes

I hope not. I’m quite tired of Blizzard being tone-deaf and always coupling so-called night elf “victories” with horrible losses.
At the very least, they should become wisps that help their new home grow, and they stay wisps or are reborn.

11 Likes

Everything about the Night Elf story has been tone deaf so far.
So what’s one more?

19 Likes

The optimistic in me believes that those NE souls went into the seed to empower it but at the same time to use it as a interdimentional taxi so they can go back to Azeroth and be reborn there.

10 Likes

It seems pretty “meh” to me if we’re just retaking the old cities we lost in BFA. I had some hopes for seeing a new Night Elf city on Mount Hyjal. At the very least though, hope they get their tree back if the Undead are seemingly retaking Undercity. But i’ll believe it when i see it. I don’t exactly have high hopes for them to do the Night Elves or Alliance in general justice. Same with Gilneas.

4 Likes

Its pretty much the worst case for Alliance.

Gilneas is not retaken but given away.
Teldrassil 2.0 will use NE souls as fertilizer to regrow and house whoever survived.

All the latent problems with the Alliance as a faction, and many grievances and issues with the Night Elves and Worgen persist. Blizzard seems to have an idea of what to do with the Horde but Alliance as always is in complete shambles.

19 Likes

inbefore:

The seed will be blessed by all 5 aspects and put into the heart of dragonisle as a symbol of hope, peace and happyness for all of azeroth, not only the night elves and the blessing will not work like nordrassil before, maybe even this seed will empower the aspects anew…and the “Renewal” will be to have 5 aspects in the first place…

The might use the tree in Silithus to “heal” the world.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if they just planted the seed in the ashes of the old tree. I can’t imagine them putting it anywhere else really. Putting it next to Hyjal feels a little redundant with one being their already. Putting in Silithus feels like a bad idea with the sword and the bug infested ruins. Though it would be cool to see if it would turn Silithus into a lush forest or something.

The Forsaken aren’t supposed to be mindless servants like the Undead Scourge and it’s about time they start acting like it. Following after Sylvanas would’ve just been the death of them. It’s idiotic and suicidal.

Have you been paying attention to the Horde story like at all? They have no idea what to with the Horde. Why do you think they rehashed the same plotline from MoP to BFA? Why do you think they changed warchiefs numerous times?They have no idea what they are doing and are just throwing darts at a board, doing whatever suits their desires or what they think will drum up attention for the fans.Like destroying a city.

3 Likes

The latest stuff for the Forsaken seem to indicate strongly the exact opposite.
Meanwhile the Kaldorei stuff is still the same renewal garbage they have been trying to shove down our collective throats.
And now apparently by the gracious and generous hand of the Forsaken Genn is allowed back to Gilneas? Who at blizzard thought this would make anyone happy?

Are worgen ferocious beasts that fight behind enemy lines with devastating effect or puppy dogs to be let back into the house? Looks like Blizzard is not done punishing Alliance players so lets see where this hell takes us.

14 Likes