[Spoilers] Shadowlands Alpha Thread

So I’ve been poking around on beta a lot, mostly cuz it keeps me sane at the moment. I’ve primarily been testing the new starter zone on multiple classes to make sure the tuning and feel is right, and sending as much feedback to Blizz as possible to the point where I’m pretty sure the people intercepting bug and feedback reports are at the “Oh no, not this guy again” stage. I REALLY want this new feature to be flawless, because new players should have the best first impressions Blizzard can muster, and dangit, Exiles Reach is pretty close to fantastic.

While I lack time to give a full in-depth of everything, I’ll give you guys my spoiler free impressions of all I’ve tested so far, or at least what I have time for tonight;

Customization Changes

Where do I begin with these? There’s a lot still missing, of course, and a few weird texture bugs still lingering here and there (Nightborne now have a metalic glossy shine when you select tatoos, go figure), but my goodness, the amount of…STUFF! I’m mostly hyped for all the options given to undead and orcs, but the body paint, tatoo options, new beard and extra facial hair options, eye color options including the option to have one blind eye, SCARS AND BURNS, undead having so many new looks and ways to get their spook on. This made me smile. Other races are lacking severely in options, but given that Blizz has divided features into 3 separate categories, I feel this is a feature that isn’t done and still has plenty of work, so I’m not terribly worried. I think we knew about most of these changes for awhile now, but seeing it in action is totally different. Now, I will say that the UI buttons and option tabs for these look…out of place with the rest of the WoW UI, making me think they too are placeholders for a less clashing design, but it’s such a minor thing that you’ll only see when first making your character or sitting on the barber chair, it doesn’t matter that much. I CAN forsee this as something they’d add more options to in future patches, maybe even finish later since they’re just frontloading so much work into this one aspect of art and design, but this definitely looks like something that will only get better with time. Maybe even added on to after the initial completion.

Exiles Reach (SPOILERS)

A new starter zone/tutorial for newcomers was something I've been advocating for at least the better part of the decade. The Wandering Isle was something I felt prepared newcomers not just for learning a class they were picking up for the first time, but being introduced to MMO mechanics for those who were new to the genre as a whole. I thought to myself, why can't they do that for everyone?

Now they have, and made it better. Enter Exiles Reach, a 1-1.5 hour long introduction to World of Warcraft. It eases you in with a pretty basic story for WoW’s setting; you’re a member of the Alliance or Horde, a new recruit who is tracking down a missing fleet. You start off being drilled on basic combat, and are taught movement, how to click or keybind your basic damaging spell, and then the most important lessing I feel they added, ALWAYS FACE YOUR ENEMY. The NPC you duel after destroying the dummy is programmed to occasionally jump behind your characters back, forcing the player to adjust, and verbally reminding you to always face them. So the very first time you’re in combat against anything that can fight back, immediately you learn something that, SOMEHOW, even players who make it to cap manage to forget. Bravo!

A storm picks up (the transition on beta is a dark screen, so I hope they make it more seamless somehow) and you brace for impact, as it’s clear the ship isn’t going to survive, and you wash ashore surrounded by murlocs. You go on to rescue 3 shipmates who will be reoccuring characters throughout the island you landed on, and you’re taught how to use quest items, pulling only what you can kill, and looting. This is stuff we all know, sure, but again I must stress that this stuff can be a little overwhelming for new players. Blizz puts the instructions in obvious places for what keys to press, and reminders to do things like loot corpses all throughout the island to build on good habits.

You fight your way through murlocs and find a starving member of the missing fleet, and kill some mobs and cook their meat to feed the starving soldier. You then find out Quillboar took the adult child of your superior (yes, on both factions), who is among the survivors, and your superior trains you on using some of your newer abilities. Now comes the fun part; I’ve done this on 6 classes so far. She will always favor teaching you to start off with a ranged move or a gap closer (Charge for warriors) if you have one. If you’re a warlock, she teaches you to apply and PROPERLY MAINTAIN corruption, and explains your abilities and optimal use. She’ll knock you away if you get close without charge as a warrior, for example, and make you try again. You do this three times, and proceed. Currently this IS a little annoying for classes that have a longer cooldown on the abilities being tested (Charge and building holy power for Shield of the Righteous to name 2 examples) and there are bugs where she’ll knock you into a wall and loop her dialogue while repeatedly knocking you back, but this area is getting constant updates, so we’ll see how this works out.

Proceeding onward, you kill some quillboar, they hid a rare in this area so new players might get to see their first rare kill, and you make your way over to a tower surrounded by undead. You find out ogre necromancers are using the lost soldiers to fuel their magics and raise an army, with their biggest plan to resurrect a dragon at the islands pinnacle. They have the officer’s son/daughter (depending on faction) and you and your goblin or gnomish companion use technology to come up with a crafty solution to cut through the swath of undead, and this introduces you to the vehicle UI. It’s also different depending on faction so that’s fun.

You kill the ogre, free the son/daughter, and you have your first split questline. You can go to a spiders den nearby to free a captive druid, go rescue a member of your crew from harpies, and learn a new class ability in a class specific short quest. My personal favorite is the shaman’s ghost wolf form, because the others think you’re talking to yourself the whole time. (Also it adds new context to why the player turns into a ghost wolf, you know, for players who are races that don’t have a strong connection to wolves typically, like draenei or dwarves). I also like the warrior one to kill a wandering Vrykul warrior spirit who has a buff that makes it so only execute can get him below 1 HP. Little stuff, but neat stuff! There’s also a few optional quests nearby, like freeing a lightspawn to gain a 10 minute speed buff as a reward that moves you at 60% movement speed, and a 5 player recommended elite kill quest. While you can solo the 5 player quest on a few classes, it can be a bit rough as the bear elite has a frontal charge and stun. Definitely a step up from the tank and spank that is Hogger.

The spider cave was probably my favorite, because at the bottom you fight a reanimated mage who with his final spiteful spell, decides to blow up the cave along with you. The druid you free then turns into a stag and you ride them out to safety while the cave burns and collapses to some pretty epic music. It felt like an ending to a mini arc, and I enjoyed the banter between the druid and their cohorts at the end regarding spiders rights to live in a cave and not be burned out. It was amusing on both factions.

Now that we’ve gotten the crew together again, we move on to the ogres. The crew has to act fast, as the dragon is nearly resurrected, the spell visible all the way from below the tower. You devise a plan to sneak in as prisoners, disguising yourself as an ogre, and you have to /wave at the ogre leader to complete the quest, just a little lesson about emotes which I thought was nice. Then you go and kill some ogres. Typical fare. It was a Highmaul setpiece area, so the assets were some of the best and most underused Blizz had to offer, I feel, so at least it wasn’t too dull. You free a final member of the crew, and then set up to take the citadel in…

A mini dungeon. Yep. You queue up via the dungeon finder tool, and enter the citadel, fighting your way to the top with some of the NPCs you’d journeyed with, facing down the head necromancer just in time to…have him sacrifice his own life to finish the ritual and resurrect the dragon.

The fight is honestly really neat. The dragon has a frontal cone, a wing buffet, and I THINK a tail swipe, so it was hardly a boring time. At the end of it all, you venture back to your capital city, and start your journey through the rest of Azeroth.

It took me way longer to write this, so I’ll just come back later to update with my summary of the Maw intro quest, Oribos, Bastion, and Maldraxxus. And…ugh…Ardenweld. (In case it isn’t obvious I’m not enjoying it x’D But take it with a grain of salt cuz druid scenery in WoW is typically my least favorite)

6 Likes

Heh. This just made me remember my first time learning that lesson in WoW. I’d come from City of Heroes, where pulling packs of 6-8 (and later 10) mobs at a time wasn’t a huge deal.

I was a Paladin in Westfall. I’d stormed into the middle of a Gnoll encampment. I learned a very valuable lesson that day.

Stuff like this is what I was hoping for back in Legion, when I first heard it would include more class specific content. If only such quests were included throughout the leveling experience (and perhaps beyond) as well.

2 Likes

You do the loa’s work, friend. That starter zone actually sounds like a blast.

Yeah, the new starter zone is easily the best thing I could imagine for new players. I do wish there’d be more class ability quests like the one in the starter zones, or quests in general to master the use of an ability, but for now, this is a huge improvement. I’m planning to test it in groups, too, to see how well the scaling works and if other players can enter that mini raid with you at the end.

Now then, I figure I should give another impression/review here while I have a bit of time before work. I’ll get to the new zones tonight, but here’s what I’ve got for now;

Level Scaling / Player-Choice Story Route

I might be one of the few people on the beta server I was on to even attempt this, or maybe I just didn’t see anyone else, but I decided I would test how well the level squish and new optional leveling routes worked. I decided to go with Northrend, and while I’m only level 33 at the moment, I can safely say that there’s something nice about having no pressure to move forward into another expansion till you feel ready to or hit a wall. The leveling content seems a tad…wonky at first, maybe it’s cuz I was playing a warlock which has a few scaling issues at lower levels at the moment (At least I feel) and kills notoriously slow, but it’s still working out at a good pace, much much faster than before. I definitely see why they did away with the heirloom EXP bonuses, because if we had those on top of this squish, leveling from 1 to 50 would take maybe 6-7 hours at minimum and 10 at the absolute most. No, this is fine. Absolutely fine.

As for the raid scaling, I tested older content on one of my level 50 characters. Did Ulduar, and while it does seem like the siege portion at the start is broken mechanically (the vehicles are soft as rice paper), your own damage given and damage taken is so high you don’t actually need them. That said, if they plan to keep Herald of the Titans as a thing, they miiiiiiight need to retune the encounter if people are to have any hope of surviving, lest Flame Leviathan becomes the new Yogg-0.

My testing on this was not extensive, but I also plan to check how seamless it is when you decide to move to a different expansion’s content in the middle of the leveling process. Naturally, some things are broken, and I’m making sure to report them as I go along.

Class Tuning & Abilities (Plus the covenant abilities I’ve seen thus far)

Mage (This is all I’ve really tested at high levels for now, sorry!)

Ughhh…okay. So… you all know I main arcane. It’s my favorite ‘class fantasy’, so to speak, and the spec I gravitate towards since it typically rewards understanding a fight to the point where you can predict safe times to stand still for extended periods, lots of tools to manipulate movement in unique ways, etc.

I just… I can’t even. Rune of Power is unusable with everything else you have to do in the span of a single burn phase, despite technically being the best choice as usual, and Arcane Power’s cooldown being increased to 3 minutes is a rancid decision on Blizz’s part. While it’s nice to have the old kilt legendary power to give back mana when using barrage per charge spent, and it makes arcane orb more appealing. The changes to Mark of Alun-I meeeeeannnn, Touch of the Magi are…okay I guess? It still doesn’t feel strong enough to justify the cast but I pressume the idea is to line it up with multiple charges of arcane missles since that now does more damage, but no, it feels… off. Also why didn’t they give it the Mark of Aluneth animation? That was way cooler.

It’s great having Mirror Images back. Absolutely fantastic, and I love it. But displacement being gone feels very wrong for the spec. Presence of Mind allowing 3 AB casts is pretty nice and I can see it being used more frequently as a movement tool since the cooldown on the MAIN BUFF of arcane is now freaking 3 minutes. Seriously Blizz, change this cuz this is terrible and I cannot forsee it simming anywhere but rock bottom like this.

The GCD changes, too many cooldown stackings, it’s a hell of a lot worse than I thought it was. The spec was centralized around stacking cooldowns to do burst, but now it feels like the optimal way of play will be to spread cooldowns out, which sounds annoying and will require some cooldown decay to occur where abilities just sit there waiting for the prime opportunity to use them.

I’ve been leveling with an Incanter’s Flow / Arcane Orb build and it’s honestly worked out pretty well. If this playstyle was optimal, I could forgive the grievances above, but it’s not going to be in any capacity - there’s just a lot of short term cooldowns and tools that work in short, frequent bursts that apply only to world content or solo content.

Then we get to the covenant abilities…

The Bastian ability is…a small DoT. That increases the damage of your next 4 spells by 25% each. This is incredibly boring. The fact that it has a cast time is even more so. Sure, it’s on a brief cooldown meaning it’ll be up frequently, and lines up with RoP and Touch of the Magi well enough, but it’s just more promise of damage with no thrill of execution.

The ‘utility’ spell of Bastion at least has some survivability application but I really don’t see this being useful all that much. That said I haven’t played around with the once a day stuff much. More on this ability when I cover the zones.

The Necrolord ability is…interesting. Back when I imagined a necromancer clothie caster with a lich form cooldown, this covenant ability is exactly what I imagined for it - turning your primary spells into cleave volleys, and increasing damage a bit. It lasts 20 seconds and honestly, it seems more useful to arcane than it is for either fire or frost, given that fireball is meant to fish for crits and frostbolt is meant to fish for FoF procs. That being said, I think frost might get the second most benefit from it unless the fireball volley applies a crit for all 3 if even one registers a crit. I’d need to test this out some more. Maybe that’s the intention and it’s not working, so it might be worth suggesting if it’s not there. It’s got a 2 minute cooldown, lasts for 20 seconds, and is overall…pretty good, actually. I can see this one being my favorite. Also it makes you a spooky skele boi. What’s not to love?

The utility ability is interesting. You channel a spell for 4 seconds that stacks a shield on you for 20% of your health. But if corpses are nearby, it increases the amount applied, up to 50%, with stronger corpses applying more. I tested this extensively. Since the shield lasts 2 minutes and has a 2 minute cooldown, it’s more or less with you the entire time as you level. It seems like normal corpses add about 10-15% extra to the shield, and elite corpses add the max. It’s inconsistent about set piece corpses though, that is corpses that are already (and always) dead as part of the environment, or killed by another player. I tested this and got mixed results, sometimes it worked and others it didn’t. Probably the more useful ability aside from the channel time. I can see this being coveted by progression guilds on sheer virtue of the survivability it can provide on select encounters.

So far I’ve only just gotten the Ardenweld ability and it’s…well, visually neat? But underwhelming. It’s a pulse channel AoE that only has a 15 yard range so, yeah, mage in melee. It’s okay, I’m arcane, I’m used to it. Interestingly, it reduces cooldowns by 3 seconds every time it pulses, a max of 9 seconds of cooldown reduction. It’s on a short cooldown, so I could see this being useful for a Kindling build for fire mages, presuming the single target loss from channeling a short range AoE isn’t a problem, but not getting my hopes up. I have yet to get the travel form movement ability thing but…I’m not excited, I really don’t like this zone. x’D Again, referring to my previous post, me and druid-themed zones don’t mix well and never have, so my opinion is not really to be taken as ‘oh this is gonna be bad and no one is going to like it’ so much as ‘I personally don’t like this aesthetic and layout but hey, to each their own’.

I have to head into work in a bit here so this is all I’ll post for now. Expect more soon!

2 Likes

Don’t forget to post your Arcane feedback here as well Zogdor :smiley:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-mage-class-changes/490704

Thanks for writing up what you have! It’s great stuff.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I’ll have to do that when I’ve compiled a full list. It’s about time Blizz fixed this spec. @_x;

1 Like

Yeah I thought the Unholy GCD problems were bad, then I started my mage testing.

Okay, returned from work and I’ll briefly go over the zones and story I’ve experienced thus far. I’m gonna let you guys in more on the gameplay than the story elements though, as a lot of critical or key details seem to be part of WIP or missing cut scenes and game events. Bear in mind, I’m only partway into Ardenweald, so this isn’t the full story thus far, but there will be absolutely monumental spoilers in this, so please only click if you’re in for that;

The Maw - Intro Questline

When logging into a level 50 character for the first time, or your freshly copied 120 turned 50, you'll get a summons from Darion Morgraine who tells you that Bolvar got his posterior promptly pounced and to come to your major city to talk to him. You get informed that the helm of the Lich King is shattered, and that some of your major leaders have been captured. I'm assuming there's going to be some sort of Broken Shore/Battle for Lordaeron style scenario leading up to this, because despite the Maw being its own intro zone, it isn't particularly... well, as flash as I would have anticipated, and usually the first major event of an expansion to kick things off in recent years has been a scenario of sorts. My guess is this portion is missing, so what all went down I cannot truly say.

What I do know is when you take Darion’s death gate, he ports you to Acherus which is now stationed in Icecrown. You take the port to the top, and both factions - what remains of their leadership anyway - is standing around arguing about how to handle things, ho hum, Tyrande says dumb things about the security of her people being less valuable than her lust for revenge cuz Night Warrior, I’m not a fan. But even less so am I a fan of Calia Menethil being securely lumped in with the Forsaken, as she’s apparently officially the new Queen. -sigh- Thanks, Blizzard, I hate it. Anyway, Thalysra and Lor’themar beg Tyrande to reason, she won’t hear it, Bolvar speaks up and reminds people that he’s still the BAMF in the room despite no longer being the Lich King and tells the player to drag the fragments of the helm to the runes around Icecrown’s pinnacle, typical ‘click item and be tethered to it, drag it to x point and y will happen’ quest, very uneventful and I can’t help but wonder if the ritual will somehow be a little flashier in the final product. At the very least, the portal that opens up and pulls everyone down is kinda neat. There’s clearly going to be a cutscene of falling into the Maw, and I kind of can’t wait to see that, because upon landing, this place…is honestly kind of neat and creepy.

Crags of molten hellscapes grow from the ground and jet outward towards Torghast in the distance, the sky is shattered on the other side just like it is in Icecrown. Cages are hung from black chains that are attatched to the ground and fall towards the sky, formless spirits that don’t even resemble the usual shades we’ve come to know roam the place. There’s an eerie red and orange glow about the place, a fog-like texture, particles of ash scattered to the wind that seems to slowly be sucking everything up - once more, in the direction of Torghast. Everything in this zone seems to be tied directly to the tower of the damned. While it’s not as impressive as I was initially expecting, it still does look like what a superhell should, while still retaining the ESRB rating the game has been given of course.

We run into some fallen Kyrian angels who look pretty sick, not gonna lie. Fighting our way through, we find evidence of Jaina Proudmoore’s whereabouts. Turns out, she and Thrall have been fighting for a time even they aren’t sure of - this isn’t the first time this is mentioned, either. And boy, it is drilled home, she lingers on the “Was it weeks…longer? I’ve lost count”, and this is not the last time we hear this sort of talk. Whatever time shenanigans Blizzard may have in store, the Maw itself seems to be directly tied to them.

We escape with Jaina and Thrall, set up a camp, find Anduin being tortured by Sylvanas, I left him to his suffering to go and get some phat lewt–just kidding, had to rescue him. We then find Baine in the hands of the Jailer - literally - and our first time seeing him as well. At least, this is our first time seeing the Jailer outside of a potential cutscene. Baine’s been tossed into some cauldron that scars his very soul, and we go through some stuff to save him…again… seriously, this guy needs to stop being taken prisoner so much.

We fight our way to this old epitaph ruin sort of thingy that is so old, no one remembers its origins. Then we hear talk of the First Ones having built it, and… yeah, naturally, this ancient mechanism that hasn’t worked for time immemorial conveniently works for our character.

Strap in, lads. Looks like we’re the chosen one once again. I miss being a simple merc or scholar… Anyway, it opens for us, and us and SOME of the people we were helping escape through it. Apparently we had to leave quite a few behind. Also the Jailer’s army is ‘said to rival the Legion, and is growing fast’. So yay, more infinite army.

All in all, the Maw is… a little lackluster in the story department, not gonna lie. There were times I almost didn’t care about reading the quest text at all. The run home the time dialation that is sure to come into play with the plot somehow a little too obviously, and the dialogue is just stiff. The Jailer, I was expecting to be a lot more imposing, but right now he just feels like “Elite 5-Man Quest Baddie Number 530” in his current presentation. Now, to be fair, this zone doesn’t feel fully complete, and there’s enough WIP cutscenes and placeholders that it will almost surely be a little different in the final product - missing voiceovers too, namely everything by Thrall.

I’d honestly say Legion’s intro post Broken Shore, that being the quest to unlock your order hall, was a lot better and varied. Even BfA’s intro quests, the one to rescue Talanji and Zul for Horde and the prison break for Alliance, were more engaging. This feels like any other high level zone, honestly, and it didn’t have the benefit of all the mechanics that you see when you return here later. More on that when I cover Return to the Maw.

Oribos - New Hub

So, initially, I thought this place was pretty cool. It has 2 floors, a massive circular layout, and should be easy enough to navigate. Only problem I'm having, it's kind of...too big and spacious? There's also limited stairs, so...yeah, getting between floors is a pain.

Anyway, you arrive, and the denizens are shocked to see someone from the Maw. They at first deem you a threat, but then decide you can’t be one, and take you to go see this Arbiter and explain the plight of the Shadowlands. Anima is running dry - remember that word cuz crap, this game won’t let you forget and it’s ringing obnoxiously similar to AZERITE in terms of how fast I’m growing sick of it. Apparently the Arbiter, which is kind of like Supergod and judges souls, stopped working awhile ago. Like, this thing is basically mechanical from the looks of it, so hey, the afterlife is run by robots! This explains a lot…

When you arrived, though, conveniently the Arbiter stirred. Horray, you’re once more saved only by how special your character is! Sorry, I’m a little salty, I really don’t like these sorts of plots. Anyway, you tell of the fallen Kyrian you saw in the Maw, and it’s suggested you start your search in Bastion, home of the Kyrians. So then you go to the nexus where souls that are judged are sent. There’s a big soul fountain in the middle that you can jump down into but you might not want to cuz…that’s the Maw down there. But the portals are these massive gateways that are really just flight paths when you click on them, somehow I expect that to change cuz when you fly through the outter gate on your way to Bastion, the absolute COOLEST in-game travel effect happens where you look like you’re moving through a wormhole, following a soul trail into the first zone on your journey.

As a hub intro, I didn’t anticipate this part would be particularly interesting. It looks lovely enough, but I feel this is the most needlessly large hub we’ve ever had. Shattrath at least had NPCs and activity anywhere, this one just feels a bit barren comparatively. I will say though that interestingly enough, each waygate to the zones is tethered to a set of pillars, of which I counted 8 in total. The Maw is the central well that you jump into, so if 4 of these pillars are zones, then 4 more are unaccounted for and may serve to become new areas in the future. Just an interesting little observation for you all.

Overall, it’s just a hub intro. Don’t put too much stock into it, don’t linger too long. It serves its purpose, just enjoy that awesome in-flight wormhole effect and put on some Pink Floyd as you travel into the great beyond.

Bastion - Because I Wanna Be An Angel

We arrive and immediately encounter narrative cliche number 7; the misunderstanding. You arrive as the first new soul in Bastion in AGES, and the kyrian initiate who finds you pressumes you're a judged soul who has been given the esteemed honor of becoming one of the Kyrian, who ferry souls to the afterlife to be judged by the Arbiter. Without being given a chance to explain that you are, in fact, a live mortal, your guide insists on walking you through the process of becoming a Kyrian. You learn that Kyrian initiates cleans themselves of the burdens they carry from life, undergo stressful mental training and conditioning, cleanse their souls of remaining sin and strife via a baptism-like ritual (in angel robes, no less! You can get a set) and then proceed to wipe all memory of their past lives so they can judge unbiased, BUT NEVER-MIND THAT LAST PART! You go through the proving to speak to the head honcho of this place and inform them of the fallen kyrian you'd seen in the maw and get some insight, and eventually you happen across one of the kyrians speaking with a fallen kyrian who...happens to be Uther the Lightbringer. Yeah, um...Uther's a bad guy, guys. And weirdly, barely a big deal is made by anyone. You don't get a chance to tell Bolvar or anyone else back in Oribos, because immediately after an attack on one of the temples, you're on your way to tracking down the fallen kyrians, who call themselves the Forsworn, not to be confused with the guys who dress like deer in Skyrim, and you help confront the leader of the assault, split her soul and memories, do a bunch of crazy stuff with the Mr. Meeseeks Owlkin whom I believe people call Swolekin and they're adorable and I want 20 of them, all on the way to warn the main Kyrian temple of the attacks going on.

Then something unexpected happens and the Forsworn are joined by…necromancers. And ravenous corpse-based undead, and they’re swarming everything and getting puss and goop all over the nice clean floors, KILL THEM WITH FIRE! A lot of quests around this area were very buggy, some critical ones bottlenecking people, but eventually I got to the end where you find out that Maldraxxas, another realm of the Shadowlands, is in league with the Forsworn and with Uther to assault Bastion. The Forsworn are mad about having to lose their identity of their former life to be considered good enough to judge souls, and to be fair, I can understand why this would cause them to be a little spicy. I haven’t done the dungeon quest yet, and I’m not sure what else is discovered in the Necrotic Wake, but I can only say that interactions with Uther are…virtually nonexistant. I don’t know if it’s intentional so they can keep stuff spoiler free, since there do appear to still be pockets of info missing here and there in a way that seems to be so, but I can only theorize that Uther joined the Forsworn not out of want of his own memories, but realizing that it is wrong to strip people of their identity in exchange for authority. Now, joining the Maw to accomplish this, I don’t see how that leap in logic works, but maybe he legitimately isn’t the man he once was since, again, Kyrians have their identity stripped from them.

Gameplay-wise this area has…oddly very few hostile foes. It was mostly neutral mobs, and not a lot of fighting so much as a lot of lore, gathering, RP, etc. The baptism was kind of neat, the tests were pretty basic but sort of entertaining, and the zone itself is just…drop dead gorgeous. The fields of wheat that just span for miles, over hills and a pearly white road, it’s absolutely beautiful. Anyway, I went to Maldraxxus afterward, since now the goal was to figure out why the proclaimed “realm that protects the Shadowlands” is suddenly attacking it.

Maldraxxus - Liches get Stitches

I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the aesthetic of the Scourge. While I don't indulge much in anything resembling zombie movie marathons, or enjoy excessive gore and horror, the Scourge has always held my interest as a force. I love skelly boys, I love shambling zombies, I love ghouls and geists, and I love, -LOVE-, liches.

Maldraxxus is basically proto-Scourge land. Souls that were unyielding go here after they die, and fight in glorious battle. Those who clung to life or coveted immortality as well, thus why it is the home of Necromancers and warriors alike. You arrive from Oribos and, surprise surprise, they think you’re there for the company picnic and ask why you’re not in uniform. You get sent into an arena and you’re told to kill 30 fighters. No problem, you think, Kargath had me kill 100 once and OH wow…

The arena you enter is absolutely alive with NPCs of all shapes and sizes beating the ever loving stitches out of one another, and it’s honestly kind of fun going around picking off enemies. After a few rounds of this, you’re made to fight an elite champion, and when you win, you catch the eye of the rulers of this realm, the Margraves.

Three Margraves overlook the competition and ask why you don’t fly a banner for the house you represent. More on that later. Two of these Margraves, however, are responsible for the assault on Bastion, and are called out on this, stating they defied the laws of a being called “The Primus” (the rulers of these realms all have these kinds of names, it’s kind of weird). You’re cornered by the armies of the two treasonous Margraves when suddenly…you’re rescued by Baroness Draka. Yes, you read that right, Draka. As in Thrall’s mom. MAIN universe, to be precise. There’s admittedly an exciting aerial escape scene where you and her fly away from a bone dragon and get blown out of the sky, and you both decide to go visit her House. No, no, not like where she lives, though I suppose that’s where she lives too, but her HOUSE, as in the company she serves as Baroness. She explains the situation in Maldraxxus, and how the forces of Maldraxxus enforce the peace between realms of the Shadowlands under rule of Oribos, but recently the two Margraves you saw in the arena have been conspiring against the other houses, even going as far as to destroy one. Taking you to her leader, you find that the only way to regain control of Maldraxxus is to ask for the help of the Primus, who is holed away in an old temple at the zone’s heart.

To even enter it, you obtain a weapon forged by the primus that…serves as a key or something, this part kind of eluded me and I don’t think it’s entirely finished since there’s some confusing exchanges that lead to the weapon being powered up but it’s there. You pick up the weapon and are instructed to obtain McGuffins from other Barons and Baronesses throughout Maldraxxus.

There’s 4-5 branching paths, all leading to a different character you’ll do favors for in order to obtain their help in opening the door to the Temple of the Primus or whatever the place is called, but the one that is MOST of note is the Mistress of Spies, who is none other than Lady Vashj herself.

And she remembers you…IN THE MARSHLANDS! Zangarmarsh to be exact, Serpentshrine Caverns. I have yet to see if her dialogue is different if you haven’t gotten the achievement for killing her on the character you’re on but it’s just kind of neat. Apparently she doesn’t mind since, what’s she going to do? She’s dead anyway. In fact, the fact that you killed her proves that you’re a valuable asset to her and she acknowledges your strength. She’s also very tsundere about helping you, so that was kind of funny to see her basically go “It’s not like I want to be here or anything” when you finally get her help in opening the door. Anyway, you almost complete the key when… the last McGuffin you need was apparently in the hands of the leader of Draka’s house, who was betrayed by his head strategist, who in turn betrays you.

Draka thinks that now the only way is to find the person that was the house’s Baron before, but they were lost to the Maw. So you return to Oribos and ask Bolvar if you can return to the Maw and still get out safely, and he goes “No prob, Bob” and off you are to return to the Maw.

Before I go on to the next section, I just wanna say that this zone is so neat. It’s got this thick miasma that gives it a look that makes it seem like it goes on forever. There’s corpses and rot, abominations, horrors, liches, spiders, everything you need for your spookometer to meet its daily quota. If you like Scourge aesthetics, this place is gonna tickle your fancy. The gameplay was pretty typical of your average zone. Mostly kill quests, loot off corpse quests, but there was some pretty interesting lore involved. There appears to be rules about the Houses declaring war on one another that kind of reminds me of the Forgotten Realms series and drow politics, how Houses that declare war must eliminate every member of a house and leave no witnesses, lest they be put on trial. Meaning if they launched an attack they couldn’t finish, the survivors of the house that declared the attack would be executed by all the other houses. Maldraxxus is definitely a place for those who enjoy fighting, or command over life. “Unyielding” is the title to wear in this place.

Return to the Maw - Bolvar Says I Need Morgraine In Muh Diet

The Maw is your next destination, as the only way to stop the conspiracy in Maldraxxus is to get the Primus in on this juicy drama. To do that, we need to locate the Baron who was lost to this place for the last McGuffin or whatever it is we need. Turns out, the Margraves were the ones who tossed the Baron into the Maw, meaning they have ties to the Jailer. You go into the Maw and you meet a curious vendor who is also here. Now, this is quite odd, as it's said nobody has traveled freely between the Maw and...literally anywhere else, but this guy appears to be from Oribos, and is quite sane. He mentions that us being spotted would be bad for business, and offers to assist us in finding who we came to save. Now, Bolvar told us that in addition to whoever we're seeking, we should find Darian Morgraine as well, since he was left behind when the gate closed last time. You're then instructed on what it means to be in the maw, and kill enemies - apparently, when you kill something, the Jailer's gaze falls heavier upon you, meaning avoiding combat here is the best idea. This is actually a lot more intense, as you swivel around, trying not to get caught. You find Darian locked in a cage, and free him, then start to look for the missing Baron. Shortly after, you find him chained to some torture wall and as it turns out, the Baron is none other than the original Ashbringer himself, Alexandros Morgraine! With your two-for-one special on death knights in hand, you make your escape, bidding farewell to the helpful but curious stranger...

Also side note, remember how they hammer home that “Oh time seems to move differently here”, well…Morgraine does the same thing. “Was it days, weeks?” Kind of tiresome they can’t find a different way to convey this but, eh.

A bit about the return to this zone, this time you see a lot more of the zones actual mechanics, and it’s a lot more engaging than the first time you were here. There’s actual traps to look out for (I suppose there were spike traps in the first one, but who would be dumb enough to fall for those?). The eyes of the Jailer make it so you have to pick battles wisely, if you plan to at all - you can mostly just stealth with the Oribos dude - but it gives you a taste of what might be to come when you inevitably end up here again. The aesthetic of the zone looks different, too, just slightly. It seems the Maw changes a bit from time to time.

You return to Bolvar, he tells you off cuz when he said Morgraine, he meant bread, and tells you to finish your job in Maldraxxus. Not really, but it wouldn’t be a bad joke if I didn’t beat it into the ground.

Maldraxxus 2: Primus Boogaloo

This return is a short one, but my guess is that it's set up to be pretty significant. You return to Maldraxxus, and open the seat of the Primus with Alexandros's help. Inside, you see...nothing? There's a missing cutscene here, and I wager it's going to be a big one since I cannot understand the quest text afterwards and what it's suggesting happened. You then return to Oribos, and talk to Bolvar, who is being pressured by QuEeN MeNeThiL and his daughter to peer back into the Maw using the fragments of the Helm of Domination, and surely enough he cannot. You get a message of urgency that needs to be delivered to some Queen of Winter in Ardenweld, and the next step of your journey begins.

And now… -sigh- Ardenweld.

I’m going to be fair to Ardenweld and finish the zone before I do a summary, but guys I really, REALLY do not like druid stuff in this game and I don’t know why. It just never works for me, never keeps me engaged. And by this point, if I have to hear the word anima uttered one more time, I’m going to kick a baby seal.

That said, so far the narrative in Shadowlands is serviceable. It’s not the worst the game has seen, but it’s also not the most interesting. Parts are interesting, though, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything that will ever rival the stupidity of the entirety of BfA’s faction conflict. I think this is going to be worth a playthrough when more scenes are complete, because at the moment, that’s what a lot of these zones are missing - context for how events proceed. That said, this is just a review of what’s playable to give folks some insight into what there is to look forward to. My feedback for the story is gonna be withheld until more stuff is complete, cuz as it stands, a lot of the dull or confusing things can be fixed with context that some finished scenes will provide.

EDIT: Something I will add, I’m happy that the narrative is linear, as this does give some flow to why you travel to the different zones. But because each zone is also made to be traveled to in any order on subsequent playthroughs, the issue that comes up is that the beginning of each zone has that same neutral context thus far of “the grave misunderstanding” (literally) until you hit about 1/3rd of the zone complete, which nags at the back of my head and feels like a detachment from the narrative.

5 Likes

I just want to know if the leaks are true and Warlocks will be able to bind and enslave Demons like Hunters tame Beasts.

Because running around with the LORD OF THE TRIFLING GNOOOOME appeals to me on several levels.

4 Likes

Very nice write-up, one I’ve been wanting to do honestly but I am not good with words, and also have a very short attention span. There are a few things that come out later though, in covenant campaigns and such that spare a bit of the confusion from the levelling quests.
Bastion:

Summary

Uther is much more fleshed out in the actual campaign. It turns out that though the Forsworn are allied with the Maw, and Uther appears to be Lysonia’s second-in-command, they actually hide the Maw allegiance from him, as she knows he wouldn’t abide by it. Seems that even though Uther is technically a “bad guy”, (though without their allegiance to the Jailer, I would say they were in the right. There is also hints that the Jailer might not be as mega evil as we suspect, but that’s for another post.) At the end of the campaign, when it comes out that Lysonia is allied with the Maw, Uther actually comes to his senses, and helps you fight against them. There is also a nice little tidbit from a quest where you spy on them before Uthers turn, and they discuss Uthers memories of his death at the hands of Arthas. It’s when Uther starts to show signs of discomfort with the Forsworn, and he says “What we did wasn’t justice, it was revenge.” Leading me to believe that they did something to the soul of Arthas in the Maw.

Maldraxxus/Revendreth:

Summary

In the Necorlord covenant campaign, you go to both Bastion, to help clean up the mess left by the House of Constructs at the Temple of Courage, and also get the answer to a major question many people had, which is why Alexandros Mograine was in Maldraxxus, and not Bastion? I won’t spoil it here, even in the spoiler thread, as it is my favorite quest of the expansion so far, as the Mograines are my favorite characters in the games history. (Just do at least the beginning of the campaign PLEASE.) Throughout the rest of the campaign, you get hints that Margrave Sin’danes (House of Rituals leader) new baron is the one that has upended the status quo in the five houses, and there are many hints as to their identity. However, when you go to Revendreth with Draka to help clean up yet ANOTHER Maldraxxi invasion (there is a few of these), you finally get your answers. While questing with Kael’thas (!!!), you discover that the new baron of the House of rituals is none other than Kel’thuzad. He gives his stereotypical evil villain monologue and then dissappears. Though I did not do it personally, in the Venthyr campaign you do a fairly similar quest, yet you actually fight him at the end. In typical Kel’thuzad fashion, he leaves his underling to die, while teleporting away to the House of Rituals to “finalize his plans”.

Overall, I am loving the story so far, though I absolutely understand the people who are tired of the “hero of the known universe” shtick, as that is absolutely not going away in Shadowlands. I think if they can manage to bump up Necrolords from being the worst covenant choice for both death knights and warriors (???), I will officially be hyped for an expansion again.

2 Likes

So… Anyone gonna talk about how lackluster Worgen customization is? Like, they don’t even get to pick scars separate from one specific face…? No jewelry, no scars, no tails? A few fur colors and that’s it?

The more invites that get sent out (Which, none of my friends or myself have gotten one) the more worried I get. Of all races, I think they deserve optional scars the most.

3 Likes

I think being able to customize 2 characters for the price of one more than makes up for it.

From a non-RPer perspective though, that really means nothing.

I do think worgen customizations could absolutely use more, as even when I was looking through all the new options, I got to worgen and was like, “…that’s it?”.
Another one that bothers me is void elves. New high elf customizations, great! However, they still only have void elf hair colors and styles. Would like to see at least some of the blood elf hairstyles make the transition over, possibly with a recolor of the red and gold jewelery to purple/gold, and silver/blue

3 Likes

In my post covering the customization I noted that a lot of the races seem unfinished but there are constant updates being made from the looks of it, so I doubt it’ll stay this way.

It might be something that, among some of the other races that are lacking customization range, will either be finished towards the end of beta or finished in a patch shortly after beta. Which isn’t the worst thing, considering they’re actually working on a lot of stuff this time around, probably more than they have since the Cata overhaul of the old world.

Pre-patch event is officially on the PTR.

Are the new customizations part of 9.0?

The patch is, but not necessarily the event. They might not show it until it comes out on Live servers like the War of the Thorns. I suspect they’ll want to focus on the level squish, since that has probably created a ton of new bugs.

I believe so.

Dwarves got their beards and mustaches placed into separate options in the PTR build that was just released, so they’re still adding in new options.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d noticed that too! It’s part of why I think we should be sitting tight on this particular feature, but definitely making our wish lists known. They’re hot at work adding stuff, and it seems to be going in with fewer issues than when they were updating the models. If we’re lucky, this means future customization updates will be possible and easier for the team to just pump out.