Spoilers: About Denathrius

Spoiler from what I’ve seen of Castle Nathria, if you haven’t completed it, don’t read on.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Is Denathrius like, a genie of the sword?
In the end of Castl Nathria he is defeated and retreats into the sword, which made me think of djinn, but how they make an object their home, even though it’s more of a prison cell. I don’t mean, can Denathrius grant wishes, just wondering if he’s just like a soul of a household vessel.

Renathal seems to think that Denathrius will be able to be reconstituted after he learns his lesson.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

This case seems separated from that of a normal Genie in that the sword itself seems less of a prison cell and more of a refuge.

Remornia, Denathrius’s sword, chose to contain Denathrius so that he wouldn’t be killed, presumably using her own power to sustain his “essence” as Draven calls it. She then goes on to say that Zovaal would restore him, which is to say he probably couldn’t leave the sword and survive without some kind of powerful magic to help him be reconstituted.

So less like a genie’s lamp and more like a liches phylactery without batteries.

7 Likes

So instead kinda like a Horcrux

3 Likes

Makes him even more similar to a Dreadlord, which is interesting.

3 Likes

To add onto this, I’d absolutely wager it’s a failsafe.

I don’t think Danathrius is a genie or that wow is trying to imply that he is. To me it harkens back to old vampire fantasy with sentient soul stealing swords and what not.

Remember we are in the afterlife and everything we see and interact with is either a soul or something being animated by a soul. I imagine Danathrius retreating inside Remornia is less like a genie returning to its bottle and more like a poltergeist possessing an object.

4 Likes

He doesn’t retreat he gets vacuumed lol

Again, soul sucking swords are a staple of vampire fantasy. Him getting devoured by his own sentient blade doesn’t make him a genie.

1 Like

No yeah I’m just saying it doesn’t really look like he chose to go into Remornia, both from his death animation (limp body, gets sucked in), the voice acting doing it (arrgghh), etc

Which does seem to corroborate the “failsafe/Horcrux” theory, namely that preserving himself/his soul in Remornia may not have been Denathrius’ first choice, but it was probably his backup plan if he was ever defeated in combat.

I’m also not convinced that Denathrius is incapable of escaping right back out from Remornia once his strength returns, Renathal’s confidence or ritual aside.

This part has bugged me for a while because I’m still not sure I understand the relationship between the Eternal Ones and their realms. They govern/control their realms. Supposedly (https://wow.gamepedia.com/Denathrius) he created Revendreth and the Venthyr.

Can Eternal Ones even die? The name Eternal Ones suggest no but names are just names. They banished the Jailer instead of killing him, and locked up Denathrius as well. Could just be everyone is super merciful I suppose, could be there are dire consequences if they die, or could be that they just can’t be killed.

Renathal takes Denathrius’ place when the covenant leaders meet at the end of the intro campaign. But clearly there is some power disparity between himself and Denathrius.

There was a glitch in Spires of Ascension that revealed some game text about everyone in the zone dying when the Archon died (terms like zones are not in-game terms and it wasn’t supposed to be seen). It made me wonder whether Denathrius’ statement that he is revendreth might be quite literal, that if he died somehow, so might Revendreth. That prison then seems very unlikely to hold him.

It’s late and I’m rambling so I apologize but something about the power dynamics of the Eternal Ones is just not connecting for me.

Regardless, of course, we Maw Hero Champion Speaker Walkers can kill anything. But I mean for the rest of the universe.

1 Like

No, it is the sword that absorbs him as a way to preserve him to not being killed off after we destroy his body. This is why she says “Let me preserve and Zooval will remake you”

Well rn he is on a constant torment as being tortured by the Light and a Naaru he was torturing, so it’s really a living prison hell his new lamp

IMO

1. Eternal Ones can’t die, if defeated they return to an “essence” state (like the Titans did) until they regenerate
  2. Denathrius I think actually weakened himself to create the Venthyr. The 7 original Harvesters were implied to have been made from his “essence”, of which only 3 Harvesters (Renathal, Curator, Stonewright) remain “Originals™”
  3. Similarly Denathrius created 7 Medallions that contain a fraction of his power. The Medallions weren’t empowered by Denathrius, they weren’t just copies of Denathrius’ power, they contained part of Denathrius. In fact, one of the Medallions (Renathal’s, Dominion) has the property of force-controlling any Venthyr period.
  4. Similarly too, the Crown of the Harvesters was made with the anima from 4 of 7 Medallions (Pride, Dread, Avarice, Desire) and the Crown had to be purged of a Shade of Denathrius or else it would take over Renathal once he eventually puts it on.
  5. Once you retrieve the Medallion of Dominion, which canonically happens after you defeat Denathrius, Denathrius still is able to whisper to Renathal through the Medallion. That tells me the Medallions are connected to him.

I think Denathrius created, as other players have stated, “horcruxes” in creating the 7 original venthyr and the 7 Medallions, of which only 3 Originals remain and all 7 Medallions remain. Thus he is, in a sense, “weaker”.

Also a common vampire trope is if you kill a given vampire, everyone in their lineage dies. Which didn’t apply to any venthyr so far, but may if Denathrius were to be destroyed.

It’s similar to how the Winter Queen and the Heart of the Forest are wrapped up with eachother. Every time an Anima Tree dies, she gets weakened. If the anima trees are restored, she gets stronger.

5 Likes

As silly as this is to admit, while I made the connection between the Venthyr and vampires, I never even considered the related common trope of the entire lineage of a vampire dying when their sire dies. Great point.

Edit: Though I’m sure many other folks didn’t miss the obvious and it might just be great to me. =)

2 Likes

I mean vampires have like a dozen tropes so no big on forgetting one lol

I mean Renathal is basically WoW Alucard but I don’t expect every wow player to be familiar with Castlevania at all, maybe half or a third at best.

2 Likes