[SPOILER] So, about that Patch 8.1.5?

I will admit, I don’t care much about cancelling my subscription, but I am keen to see how the B4A story plays out.

This might very well be my last expansion of WoW, and the completionist in me wants to see how it ends.

Whether you personally enjoy the new customization options is immaterial to my point - that Blizzard hasn’t made updates like that before, and that most games don’t have the kind of support where new customization options come out just because.

I love night warrior elves. I think it was a supremely cool moment and I love that something in lore has had reverberating repercussions all the way to the very avatars were use. It rekindled my fondness for night elves. To me it shows tremendous respect for customization and lore.

I chuckled when you complained about the lack of customization we have for our 20 playable races. I haven’t played many MMOs but I guess I missed the ones that had more than that. In my experience you’re lucky to get more than 10. Sometimes you only get one, or all the races use the same “model” (rigging? Skeleton? I don’t know the proper terminology but I’m thinking ESO here.) Sometimes there’s multiple races but race/class are the same thing so you’re locked in to that. I love ESO but it has sliders and sliders don’t always mean much when, once you get into gameplay, everyone has the same silhouette besides a few inches of height or a tail here or there. (It is awesome for RP though.) LotRO, one of my favourite RPGs ever, only had 4 races at launch, with some minor customization therein.

Yeah, the story is pretty okay. Bad sometimes, amazing other times (Jaina Warbringers for example,) sitting in the middle most of the time. Pretty okay. FWIW I would rate most media “pretty okay” these days. Captain Marvel and Umbrella Academy were pretty okay, to use some recent examples of stories I watched. I enjoyed them both, could certainly find a lot to criticize if I were so inclined, but on the whole found it to be a pretty positive experience. Maybe I’m just getting old or maybe companies are playing it safe or maybe a combination of both, but nothing really “blows my mind” or evokes anything significant from these days when it comes to fiction. I gotta read the classics for that.

But on the whole I like the lore and would rank BfAs story nearer to the top than the bottom if I was ranking the expansions. And I appreciate that BfA is arguably the most lore-driven expansion to date, even if I don’t like every single plot point or would have written them slightly differently if given the chance. I think Blizzard struggles sometimes with having an ensemble cast and almost 2 decades of lore built up, but so do most serial stories that go on that long. There’s a reason most TV shows don’t progress beyond 5-7 seasons without jumping the shark or taking a dive in quality, why comics are always rebooting (sometimes too much). Even JRR Tolkien got writers block when he tried to write a story after Lord of the Rings and scrapped it. At a certain point a story has to end. Unfortunately for Blizzard, their story is their main IP and keeps making money, so just like comic books or pro wrestling or a network’s flagship show (other stories that aren’t allowed to end) there’s going to be a slight quality dive at times. But on the whole I find BfA’s story perfectly okay, and think Blizzard is doing a pretty solid job tackling the challenge of working from all that lore and juggling all those characters.

I’m not really carrying water. And my support certainly isn’t undying - indeed I don’t even sub anymore, I just buy game time as needed, because as much as I love this game I really do pick it up and put it down a lot and I honestly don’t know month to month if WoW is something I want to spend time on (though lately I keep buying when my time runs out.) I’ve walked away from the game before and I will again, and one day I probably will forever. But for now I’m just a passionate fan sharing my thoughts, same as you or anyone else. That my passion is of a more positive bent than others’ may be doesnt make it any less valid, nor does my sharing it mean I am somehow trying to “silence” others. Even if I had that power, I wouldn’t want to.

I don’t wish to silence criticism. And I love thoughtful criticism. We have some incredible writers around here who have come up with wild theories, flavourful lore tidbits, amazing original characters.

I think if one’s ultimate goal in criticising the game is to see it change, it would probably be better to compile it by topic, with substanstive and qualitative feedback that is actually actionable, and post it in the appropriate subforum. I don’t think Blizzard really trawls random threads in realm forums for feedback. But that is just a suggestion - people can do what they want. If the goal is merely commisseration then I guess any thread on any forum is as good as any.

2 Likes

they added new hairstyles in late cata I believe and they added the Blood Elf new models post-WoD launch

1 Like

Cataclysm came out almost 10 years ago

we need 10 years worth of hairstyles to make up for it

blizz needs 2 give me what i need

fully 3D model beards on Lightforged Draenei that don’t disappear when the heritage helmet is equipped

um this but for normal draenei too

and lightforged horns for normal draenei

and actually just delete lightforged because i just want their cool options without elf eyebrows or forced white skin

EQ boat rides were busted as heck. Most times if you didn’t load in fast enough (the ocean between continents was its own zone) the boat would keep moving without you, leaving you stranded in the middle of the water. Hopefully your swimming skill was high enough to get to land so you could Gate back to your hometown and try again, otherwise you were in for a really annoying day.

1 Like

See, I wouldn’t mind an option like that.

Yes, you can go straight from the Eastern Kingdoms to Kalimdor, or Northrend to Lordaeron, or any ship or air-ship path, directly.

Or you can do a little single-player scenario where you have to face something along the way. It could just be a gag scenario where you’re running around putting out fires and slapping seals on the hull and engine, or you could be fighting a Kraken trying to drag the ship under or rogue sky-pirates trying to take over your zeplin.

Just … something fun and random to do that doesn’t really put ‘hero of the world’ on your head, but rather ‘Azeroth is a dangerous place, it’s why it has people like you running around’.

6 Likes

Nailed it. I love WoW, always have, always will. But good golly gosh it’s seen better days.

1 Like

Please have the Salty title.

You can lead a Dog to water, but you can’t make him fish.

1 Like

OMG I don’t but I definitely need it ><

It’ll be perfect if you plan to RP him in a nautical sense. :smiley:

I’m still fleshing out his backstory but in the words of Lady Katherine, ‘every Kul Tiran has ties to the sea’ (or w/e)

:smile:

Come on now

5 Likes

Eh, some folks are going to RP them as regular humans with larger proportions, I’m already in the mindset that I don’t know what region Kul Tiran are from until I get to know the individual.

joke: RPing a human male with growth potion

woke: RPing a Kul Tiran with growth potion so that NOBODY can look down on you

2 Likes

Oh totally, I’m digging the whole naval vibe and having origins around Boralus but the lines are super easy to blur.

That reminds me, how do the weapons scale on Kul Tiran? Are they a pretty good size? Do they put human females to shame?

Mine seems to scale fine, definitely not hilarious Human Female proportion. My ingame screenshots are all on my PC at home so if I remember I’ll post one later.