[Spoilculation] The Jailer and The Arbiter

This thread contains spoilers. Don’t read it if you don’t like spoilers.

Shadowlands villain “The Jailer” has a hole on his chest.

https://i.imgur.com/0E2ooL5.png

Meanwhile, the Arbiter seems to be a set of empty clothes with just a single black core floating inside.

https://i.imgur.com/9DQDITM.png

What I think is: The Jailer was the original Arbiter.

The rest of the Pantheon of Death turned against him at some point in history. They removed that core from his chest and banished him to the Maw, and made the current Arbiter as a construct powered by that core.

7 Likes

Everyone already is theorizing that. The question is: Why is Sire Denathrius siding with the Jailer now? The guy is clearly a Nathrezim so it can’t be an attack of conscience!

Why did a Dreadlord help seal away a fellow member of the Pantheon of Death only to decide to free him? Was the whole imprisonment just the Jailer playing the long game?

1 Like

I don’t know if the current pantheon is the same as the original pantheon.

I don’t think Denathrius is a Nathrezim. But there’s definitely a relation between Denathrius, Castle Nathria, the Nathrian Religion, Nathreza and the Nathrezim.

By the end of the day, Denathrius is a Death God. Gods create people and get worshiped. I think either Denathrius created the Narthrezim, or they found and worshiped him and were altered by his power to look like him, like how Elves are Trolls modified by wielding large amounts of Titan Blood magic.

1 Like

One thing to note the closest the Anima of the Arbiter’s Orb resembles is the Phantasma of Torghast.

Phantasma is expended Anima… Dead Anima.

Furthermore the hole in the Jailer’s chest looks like it was deliberately designed to hold that Phantasma Orb so it can’t be his Heart even if he had it before the Arbiter!

We might end up fighting a Phantasma Elemental if it awakens!

I sure hope it’s not something that dumb. Who wants to die and be sent to Hell after being judged by someone’s trousers?

Arbiter has a heart inside of its chest, while The Jailer doesnt… I think something in the story is gonna switch where the Arbiter is actually the bad guy, and he stole the Jailers heart and imprisoned him, and he is now messing with the way the souls are coming into the shadowlands.

Which would then lead us into a LIGHT IS EVIL xpac after this…with Yrel n such.

1 Like

It’s quite obvious souls originally went to the Maw, as without the Arbiter the souls flow straight into Oribos by default. Oribos is just a bottleneck at which the Arbiter at which the Arbiter disperses the souls to the various realms of the Shadowlands and away from the Maw.

We also know the Maw has another name and didn’t used to look so bad. But that name and those memories have been lost to time. How I see it, the First Ones intruded into the Shadowlands and Zovaal fought back, but lost horribly which left his realm completely destroyed. He then had whatever that orb is torn out and placed inside the Arbiter as a sort of power source.

Also, in general, I think people need to relax a bit about the Arbiter. She’s just a machine. The people we should be thinking about are the First Ones. The people who set this all up in the first place.

It resembles the colors of basic anima. It’s glowing blue. Which is the color of anima when in Oribos.

I have a feeling that the defeat of Argus, the Titan of Death, might have something to do with it, honestly. Denathrius might’ve been low-key backing the Legion thanks to his Dreadlord roots, but once the Legion was defeated, something changed. This might sound like a long shot but, what if Argus’ soul went to the Shadowlands, and wound up in the Maw, because of the role it play, even passively and unwillingly, in the destruction wrought by the Legion? All that anima right to the Jailer would be terrifying, and more than enough reason to swap sides.

Titans don’t go to the Shadowlands when they die.

Denathrius probably swapped sides because he’s a coward and thinks the Jailer will win and he wants to save his own skin. He’s a Venthyr after all.

Are you sure?

When the original Pantheon died, they sent fragments of their souls to the Keepers on Azeroth, meaning their souls were still bound to the material plane, and didn’t go to the Shadowlands. I don’t think Argus had any Keepers, or any hidden places for his soul to go like Eonar had.

Yeah but we learned in Antorus that their souls were simply just taken by Sargeras and placed at the World Soul of Argus. Also, Danuser literally said they don’t go to the Shadowlands.

OP’s links for reference.

Did he? I don’t recall. Do you have a source?

Blizzard said many times that the Shadowlands are for Mortals. Non-Mortals go elsewhere.

As far as I am aware, Titans are not Mortals. They are cosmic beings tied to the Cosmic Force of Order.

Where was this said? I must’ve missed an interview…

Argus the Unmaker was called the Death Titan, will he have any influence on the Shadowlands and do Demons go to the Shadowlands or are they on a different cosmic level?

Demons are born of the Twisting Nether; normally, a demon killed on Azeroth or otherwise outside of its home realm will go back to the Twisting Nether, eventually coalesce, and come back. Sargeras tried to shortcut that process by using Argus as a resurrection engine to speed up that process. That same principle applies to other creatures of various realms (Shadow, Light, Fire, etc). The Shadowlands is specifically for mortal beings to go through the process of Death.

So the Burning Legion still goes back to the Twisting Nether, unless they’re killed there, at which point they experience kind of a “true death”. Even then however, the energy that makes up those creatures remains. For example, if a Steward named Joe running around Bastion is crushed to death, Joe is gone, because he died within his home realm, but that energy remains - eventually a new Steward, Jane, will pop up to take Joe’s place.

1 Like

Much appreciated! Thank you.

Genuine Glowing Light Blue rather than the Glowing Normal Blue of Ardenweald or the Glowing Azure of Bastion! Seems like Raw Soul Energies now that I think of it! Just noticed that the Soul Model has the same coloration…

Phantasma on the other hand is Blue-Grey/Livid in coloration rather than the Light Blue of the Arbiter and Souls. Interestingly enough the Attendants glow with the White Magics of the Brokers aside from the mechanical eye on each of them…

https://ptr.wowdb.com/npcs/164123-attendant-scribe Incidentally I discovered this during this Thread conversation.

This is perhaps true.

I do think the hints from BfA will tell us where the story is going. “The Light has struck a bargain with the enemy of all.”

We know Sylvanas and the Jailer are considered by the Void as being allied with the “Enemy of All”. My guess is the Light in this quote refers to Elune. She agreed to feed the Maw. And this will be revealed in the Shadowlands.