Spell lock on Felhunter Vs Player Bound

So here is my opinion about the spell lock issue that has been going on. I prefer it to be on the pet specifically for the reason a warlock’s demon has very unique utility it can bring. What I think a lot of people fail to realize is that warlock has been pseudo forced into only using the Felhunter, unless you are Demo, mostly do to the designs of dungeons that Blizzard has made. Take for instance the Goliaths in Spires. In higher keys, interrupts are so important, that not having at least a 24 sec interrupt is almost a detriment to the party because of how much Blizzard has made the focus points of interrupts. If we could get to a point where there is less of a focus on them, then Blizzard would be able to see warlocks using their different demons, outside of extremely niche instances or RP.

1 Like

Interrupts should be important and Blizzard should not design dungeons in a way that makes it meaningless to use them. All they really had to do was make spell lock come from the warlock, give fel hunter a new on use ability, and then add a choice talent in the class tree that allowed any pet to use spell lock instead of the caster, but maybe that wasn’t worth the coding headache.

4 Likes

The main focus of kicks is what I wanted to focus because there is more issues than just warlocks being tied to only Felhunter or Felguard. I want blizzard to take a step back from interrupt focus, not because I don’t think that shouldn’t be important but because right off the bat if interrupts are the primary focus than you lose 2 specs from ever being brought to keys and that is Moonkin and Spriests. Spriests have a base 45 sec silence and Moonkins have a 1 minute interrupt. The two variables with those specs is they not only have to do good damage but resto shaman has to be good too. I say resto shaman because lets face it, Ele and Enhc are not the best specs for dungeons and if Rsham isn’t good, shaman is just never brought.

1 Like

Reading the responses in the DF feedback thread about this change make me want to scream. “Oh no! It’s unfair for a healer in pvp to see a warlock with a succubus and get spell locked with no warning or idea where it came from!” Completely ridiculous. Are you fighting a warlock in pvp? Assume they have an interrupt like every other dps spec. Are you being chased by a felhunter? 90% chance that’s where the interrupt will come from. Does the lock have a different pet? Go ahead and Los them because 100% the interrupt is on the lock.

6 Likes

My take is Felhunter only having interrupt is fine. You probably won’t need it unless you’re part of an interrupt rotation. As for solo play, yeah it’s annoying if you’re used to having an interrupt on call, however, you’re Voidwalker will pretty much soak any spells thrown its way. If worse comes to worst there’s always Mortal Coil or Shadowburn.

1 Like

PvP and dungeons exist btw. Yes I know you dont care about that content, but others do.

I’ve already said it before, but it hurts no one to have it on every pet and just buff the felhunter if its too weak.

The succubus has a slow+seduce
The Imp has a dispel+ ranged attack
The felhunter (would) have a only a purge.

Give it something else if needed

4 Likes

I know they exist and people like them, however, whether you need the Felhunter or not will be decided by your group in said dungeon or what type of PvP you’re doing. If you need a spell interrupt then take the Felhunter, if not take something else.
My point being, there’s no compelling reason for Spell Lock to be baseline. If you really need an interrupt on your pet all the time then go Demo.

How about the dps difference between the felhunter and the imp/sayaad? Every other spec is at least neutral if not outright rewarded for having their interrupt.

4 Likes

This is a fallacy, as if you are doing a mythic plus or PvP weather its a bg or arena, you need a interrupt. There is never a time where an interrupt does not get some value whereas purge/dispel can actually get 0 value by virtue of those mechanics not existing.

4 Likes

demo doesn’t have an interrupt on their pet. we have a semi-interrupt.

1 Like

Like hell it will, It’s useless and i’m almost always the one tanking

The warlock will always soak any spells thrown it’s way

Fixed that for you.

1 Like

What about mobs casting their own heals? How is your voidwalker going to soak those spells and stop the enemy from healing itself? It will not. You can’t always Mortal Coil, Fear or CC mobs casting heals on themselves, either, and sometimes those mobs hit very hard where you actually need the VW to tank and you need the felhound to interrupt the heal. You won’t be able to get both at once, nor will you be able to summon Felhound quickly for an interrupt back into VW for tanking back into felhound for interrupt again.

There’s many more examples of this, too, where you actually do need the interrupt and if you had it tied to yourself you could have VWs or whatever other minion out while being able to interrupt important casts as well.

There is 0 reason, I repeat 0 reason to have it tied to a pet. No, not even Lore wise does it work in this regard, either. The Warlock is a darker version of a Mage, Mages have interrupt. It would make so much more sense for Warlocks to know how to interrupt, themselves since that is power and that makes them more powerful.

Again, no reason to have it tied into the pet, no reason to not have a choice node where you can select to have it on yourself or on your pet.

You can, then, have it tied to the pet for PvP purposes, and then for everything else you can put it on your own character.

Cool, glad we had this talk.

4 Likes

This is false. You main warlock?

https://www.wowhead.com/news/demonology-warlocks-felguard-axe-toss-now-a-regular-interrupt-in-shadowlands-318702#:~:text=Demonology%20Warlock's%20Felguard%20Axe%20Toss%20on%20live%20servers%20is%20a,the%20ability%20if%20not%20interrupted.

erp that’s on me. my fault memory. thanks for bringing it back to my attention.
strike that point folks. it’s nonsense. the rest remain.

2 Likes

If this is true then you really need to look at your gear because when I play my Destro lock the Voidwalker is essential for him not to get his a** kicked. Also, you might want to make use of Health Funnel once and a while. It makes a difference.

• why is Blizz so offended by donkeys?

I can only think of one wing in Torghast where a spell interrupt would be needed to stop healing and that was the enhanced boss who cast Inner Fire and he was usually alone. The only other times where mob self-healing would out strip your dps would be if you took on a world boss solo, in which case, good luck!

Out of curiosity, who said the Warlock was a darker version of a mage?

Was pretty sure that was their whole lore thing, they were Mages who ventured into darker territory than they should have, or pushed past limits they should not have. Basically same thing, though, but yeah I was pretty sure their lore was they were Mages who went darkside instead of staying towards the natural side, in their quest for more power.

1 Like

Let me put it this way, It’s useless because it can’t hold threat worth a damn and anyone with actual gear knows that.

1 Like

Definitely team “Just make it a choice node.”

OG warlocks were actually twisted shaman, not mages

1 Like

Nope, at least not anything other than very recent Alliance Warlocks. KJ taught Gul’dan how to Warlock back on Draenor, and he in turn taught others how to use it’s power. Many of those were Shaman.

The lore is extremely well written in this regard.

Born of the Eredar race, warlocks are absolutely corrupt and unimaginably powerful. Their chaos magics have burnt out whole worlds and annihilated countless species over the aeons. Kil’jaeden taught the orcs the secrets of warlock magics, but the orcs could never master the powers of entropy and destruction as well the wicked Eredar. Under Archimonde’s command, the warlocks serve as the Legion’s tacticians and strategists.

Source: Warcraft 3 manual.