Spell Batching - YIKES

Very very few people wanted spell batching,there was a small vocal group and instead of telling them to buzz off blizzard caved.

2 Likes

It’s not so much about batching overall, but the issue is that, on a grand scale, it doesn’t really matter. People wanted classic and the #nochanges crowd is very well aware of the unintended consequences of making things easier for everyone.

An odd quirk of Monopoly is that the hotels that you buy aren’t real. We deal with it. On the other hand, if they were real, because naturally the founders of the game would have wanted great things for us, there would definitely be some hefty unintended consequences and some might just say something like “just give me Monopoly Classic.”

Like, six people on Reddit. Six people who stupidly believed Blizzard would pull this off the right way.

– and everyone else who jumped onto the #nochanges bandwagon. Everyone else falls into the “you think you do, but you don’t” category, which means they’re the biggest reason they didn’t remake classic until recently.

No, they’re just so bad that they don’t notice/don’t care. Hell, I fake cast a flash heal, stopped at .5 seconds left, CAST A RENEW, then ate a counterspell lockout. /facepalm

Its wrong to blame spellbatching and say its bad as a basic idea. Classic needed spellbatching because vanilla had it and it would not feel right if it was not in the game.

People demanded it, and rightly so, because if this version did not allow for batches to happen it would be different than the original vanilla game.

What of course nobody else thought of was that blizz would take this very reasonable demand and screw it up in the worst way. All people wanted was to see double charges, vanishing coils, Iceblocking coils, double sheeps etc. just like it was in the day.

Blizz just added a +400 ms delay onto it when there is private server proof that this is not needed for batching to work. You can log in on any current private server for vanilla right now and see how it is done correctly.

Its not the idea of spellbatching that is wrong, its the atrocious recreation with a 400 ms delay of it. So the removal of spellbatching itself would be wrong and calling out people who wanted spellbatching is not the correct way to point out the issue.

Gouge for rogues is devastating with this batching as well. Gouge was one of my favorite abilities back in vanilla and in classic it is much stronger. It’s basically another stun for any other casters in your party. I’ve had mages hit frost bolts sometimes two while a player was stuck in the gouge effect.

I typically tried to time the gouge for my partner, but timing it now has no matter. I just throw the gouge up and pretty much expect player or mob to stay gouged while being blasted away by spells.

It’s neat how I have been able to cast immolate and chain a conflag on the end of the cast and get the conflag damage without consuming the immolate dot.

Most people very accurately pointed out that batching was an artifact of server architecture not a gameplay design. And that there was no reason for it to exist in classic.

There was a very small minority who kept trying to claim it was skill based.

1 Like

– and debuff limits were for the same thing, but if you change it, you change raid difficulty.

Why don’t we just make everything way more convenient, eh? There’s a BFA for that.

Not just rogues. Hunters are broken and crippled by batching. And yet not a word from blizz about when hunters will be fixed.

They dont care, they just wanted a quick buck, now they want us to shutup and go away.

Debuff limits were an actual design decision.

It would still change the way the game works in PvP. The batching itself is not bad, its the weird implementation blizz chose. And yes, you can do it better.

Yes. Design with the (then) current architecture in mind. Ion went over that.

I’ve stayed mounted in retail for over 20 seconds before it kicks me off my mount as well. Definitely does not seem like a batching issue. I’ve noticed that it seems the longer I was mounted, the longer it takes to kick me off. Then sometimes it kicks me off immediately. I don’t know why it does it, but it’s not specific to classic.

#patchthebatch

1 Like

Spell Batching was a mistake. It was an interesting effort but when I said Blizzard would be bringing back all the buggy mechanics, I was hoping I would be wrong.

The meta-game would be largely the same with or without it. At some point I think Blizzard has to realize that this is just frustrating to players, and since it’s entirely designed this way and not because of technology limitations, that makes it infinitely worse. (Not even getting into the fact that what they designed of course doesn’t work all the time.)

No changes to the core of what Vanilla was doesn’t mean making a concentrated effort to make things an actively worse product.

Nobody enjoys spell batching. Purists put up with it because something that worked completely differently in vanilla had that name, and they value what they see as this internal consistency over fun.

A melee can hit you out of rang as long as you’re both moving. That’s leeway and it wasn’t in Vanilla.

Here’s leeway:

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/d0u2y8/aoe_grinding_in_a_nutshell/

And here’s Vanilla:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O_pNDc73MM&feature=youtu.be&t=825

Here’s an example of stupid Classic batching:

This is exactly the OPPOSITE of no changes.

1 Like

Ye man, it really is a monthly due private server

1 Like