Spell Batching - YIKES

Yes? That is what I said and what everyone has observed. But if this 400ms batch is relevant then it implies this is a batching problem as dismount is an ability that has to go off. The other person said it is not at all a batching problem and strictly a tick rate problem. Which seems hard to believe considering how inconsistent it is.

The dismount server check is not synced with the same system as combat abilities, its completely seperate

Have you seen the server code? I’m curious what leads you to believe mounting and unmounting is so different than something like sinister strike.

You might be right, but I don’t think the fact that mounting is a more unique game mechanic is evidence to suggest it isn’t an ability like any other and goes through the same system.

I dont remember where i saw it but i remember either a blue post or an interview where they talked about it briefly, basically if you dont do any actions that tell the server to check your location it can take a second or two before the server realizes you are in a dismount location, however if you were to jump it would dismount you right away as you land

I can believe that the dismount check is its own thing, but once the check determines you should no longer be mounted it initiates the demount “ability” which could be subject to spell batching. Mounting up would be an ability like normal.

You left it too late. Again, this isn’t retail. You need to take spell batching into consideration to be high skilled.

You very well can. Work with the game.

You’re trash if you believe that has anything to do with “skill” its pure RNG and guessing, how am i supposed skillfully interrupt a cast if i have to do it at the very beginning, do you even know what fake casting is?

1 Like

Tough luck this is classic. Git gud.

You can keep calling me a garbage player or a troll but it’s not going to make you play any better if you keep comparing this game to how you would play in retail.

100% of the time that i use improved revenge, the game waits for about half a second to stun the enemy if it’ll stun the enemy at all
not that I mind, though

Every time my Hunter uses Ice Trap, the mob hits me the second it breaks no matter how far away I am. Spell batching? Perhaps. Whatever it is, it’s ridiculous.
I can’t say that I completely agree with OP that Blizz is trying to ruin Classic, but it does seem like they’re doing the very least amount possible to make this game successful.
That’s fine though. If their goal is to make players quit and play Shadowlands, well, they’re half right.
I quit playing WoW when Pandarans were introduced, and I really didn’t miss it. Similarly, I have no problem moving on to a different game when WoW Classic dies, because I will NEVER play WoW retail.

1 Like

Than you remember wrong.

Spell batching has no place in the game.

If you asked what people wanted from classic, it wasn’t old school lag.

How exactly does a druid adept to mana burn? Everytime he is out of form and the priest starts casting Mana burn it will go through. He can shift at 80% of the cast finished and he will get burned, or he can shift at 5% of the cast finished and he will still get burned. It does not matter.

The only way to avoid getting mana burned is to never be in Normal form, which quite frankly is undoable. This is just one example.

Your comment is useless, thanks!

2 Likes

Do you have any examples of this?

So, a mechanic that was in vanilla shouldn’t be in vanilla?

Spell batching wasn’t a mechanic in vanilla. You might want to look up what mechanic means. Can you just imagine when world of warcraft came out and the game designers marketed the game by talking about how awesome the lag was for the game experience.

1 Like

The vanilla spellbatching wasnt a recreated version of what we have now. It was much more dynamic and perfectly fine with the bandwith and internetspeeds back in the day.

I also would like to point out that PServers have the spellbatching system implemented just not on a fixed 400ms delay. So the game feels much more fluid while at the same time allowing for what people actually wanted out of spellbatching (double sheeps, double charges etc.)

The modern client does not allow this, so its never possible to have both mages sheep each other for example. But it is possible to retain the original spellbatching effect without having such a huge delay on certain things. I know it wont matter for most ppl, but if you pvp frequently and are actually decent at what you do, you will notice this stuff a lot.

2 Likes

This emulated vanilla batching is about the biggest failure in classic and I don’t understand how more players aren’t noticing this.

Are people just this bad at the game that it makes no difference to them? Or is it because I played in 2005 on a high-speed connection that it feels so bad to me now.

4 Likes

People specifically asked for spell batching. You take it away and suddenly people are complaining its gone. Lose lose situation for Blizz.