Spell batching in classic

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed things are off. It’s definitely very, very subtly different and having a tough time nailing down exactly what. Thank you for looking into this. Please keep us posted.

2 Likes

I think the difference in play is the back port and spell batching seems to not be ejecting failed attacks from the queue. That may also be attributable to how the Legion engine handles the data.

2 Likes

Yeah this is the worst part of it. Getting off a CC in time to be hit anyways by the CC’d mob is not something that happened all the time in vanillia.

4 Likes

From what I understand it did take place in early vanilla but was fixed in patch 1.10 (actual vanilla) For example:"Creatures will no longer get one hit on a rogue before cheap shot takes effect. "

Some how their Modern wow code does not like all the old bug fixes, or simply never had any of the bug fixes because I will assume some bug fixes were not data side.

2 Likes

Simultaneous CCing happened even through TBC but the window was MUCH tighter (I’m talking ~50MS or less). It was less tight in Vanilla, but nowhere near what is happening right now.

3 Likes

according to Blizzard it was 400 all the way till cata…

Thing is I bet that’s not the whole story. Its highly suspect that the complete cycle was 400ms back in vanilla and then there is the whole thing that we know is likely true, blizzard back then did some stuff client side…

Because of that it’s very possible that with processes taking place client side that the game play was indeed better on a 400 ms loop because the client would just sync every 400 ms.

However, however if that’s the case then Blizzard cant just use a 400 ms batch “artificially” because it’s impossible to make that feel correct, and I don’t think you can doing it in a modern wow kinda way…

Tuning is needed to make the game play correctly.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m inclined to agree with you on all of that. I don’t trust Blizzard’s statements on the game anymore. Personally, I think the decision to emulate 1.12 on Legion, before hastily porting it all to BFA, rather than build a bnet compatible API that works with the true 1.12 patch, was a massive, largely unrectifiable mistake. Blizzard has been in damage control mode ever since the launch.

5 Likes

This would explain alot.

I have been doing my best to reverse engineer the situation in a way that makes sense, unfortunately Blizzard tends to not make sense any more…

Dude I would take a 1.12 client over this mess running on an AUTHENTIC server, not a “modern wow server with classic code” nonsense, because at least with the authentic server I know darn right it works…

Heck I would put up with all the hax that people abuse on the old client; not like they’re stopping the people who’re hacking now any way.

6 Likes

Not only does the artificial spell batching they put in feel awful but its also founded countless numbers of new bugs

4 Likes

Maybe; have a look at the “Vanilla” patch notes.

Think about twiddle a moment, there is no way Blizzard of old made every single patch of the old game data side.

So because many big fixes were fixing the server or the client or net code or some interaction, then when they extracted the data and translated it to “modern wow” the effectively left out a slew of bug fixes that are simply not installed.

I feel it was a long road for them to use the modern engine, and I can understand the desire, but it can only work out if they put in some high quality effort to fix all the bugs that resurfaced due to this modern WoW client and server.

Additionally the engine and artificially implemented batching as you noted are also likely to blame for several problems.

4 Likes

Is this crap why, a rogue was able to gouge me the other day (he had imp gouge talent because it lasted about 6 seconds) and I was stunlocked basically the entire time even though he got off 2 white swings and an eviscerate? I assumed he had got me with kidney shot at first and I tried to trinket but I was confused when it didn’t work. Looked at my debuffs and was surprised to see gouge, which I immediately Berserker Raged out of.

After the fight I confirmed it in my combat logs too. The CC stuff that is supposed to break on damage, not doing so, is really really annoying. I feel for rogues with their vanish being bugged, but I wish we could get all of these issues resolved once and for all so the game can play like it is supposed to.

2 Likes

Yup, and it appears to be all forms of break on damage CC or break early when damaged CC just don’t break like they ought too.

I have also noticed the maximum possible durations appear to be getting clipped by about 1/2 second in some situations, leading me to think the batching system is a real problem.

1 Like

Have you tried having this discussion in general, trade or guild chat? The fanboys will come out of the woodwork to defend Blizzards honor and you will be trolled into oblivion for even hypothetically mentioning connecting to a private server.

That being said, I otherwise whole heartedly agree with your post.

1 Like

General discussion is for lulz, anything more and we’re expecting too much. =)

Spell batching is what causes bugs like the 2handed hand of justice macro one.

Yup, and execute to be delayed by 400 additional milliseconds.

3 Likes

It’s the backport.

I shifted into bear form in EPL and was trapped by a hunter.

The hunter ran away, mounted up, and ran off, and when the trap faded I meleed him from 50 yards away for 500

Whatever is causing that needs to be fixed. That would’ve never happened in vanilla

10 Likes

If we can’t get rid of batching can we at least get it looked at? It’s not the way it was in vanilla! I didn’t used to have to wait an eternity for my executes to go off in vanilla! When rogues would gouge me then melee me it would break gouge! Please Blizz!