Spell Batching in Classic

I love this sentiment. Even though I never really knew this was a thing, knowing what it is now and that it’s going to be back, really makes me happy to see the dedication you guys are showing to the project as well as its community.

A lot of people say “warts and all” but I think a lot of genuine fun and hilarity will come out of stuff like this, and it’ll really inject a lot of character that was lost over the years in humorless refinement.

Carry on, good sirs! Three cheers for our Classic team!

2 Likes

yep nothing like blowing that 60 min CD for it to do nothing and for you to lose all of your mana to boot.

1 Like

Awesome! Have you guys committed to mob tagging staying the same as well? There are lots of changes that have been made to it in the current game.

:cocktail:

1 Like

Not a fan of how the old spell-batching used to work, but all the same I commend the devs for staying true to the classic system.

Gotta take the bad with the good.

1 Like

Spell batching isn’t a priority of mine, but, I’m happy they are putting this in for authenticity.

Now, in response, I played vanilla wow with a fairly decent computer and cable internet. I could play on high resolution settings with great frame rate. Please don’t assume we all played the game with toasters and AOL.

This is also not my original account. It’s been lost to time :slightly_frowning_face:

While this isn’t something I was concerned about, the fact that its a mechanic that has purposely been changed in order to bring vanilla authenticity is a big tick from me.

1 Like

This kind of thing needs to be changed, though. I get it if both players are still alive, it makes sense for both of their actions to go off.

But in this scenario, both actions are not going off at the same time - one action is going first, resulting in death, and the second action shouldn’t go off if there’s no target to cast it on. I have to question how they even decide which goes first unless they’re actually measuring which cast completed first.

Even so, I would like to ask Blizzard to make this change - if two spells are cast in the same batch on the same target, and the first one results in death of the target, then the second spell should not be wasted.

At the very least that’s what they can do. I will still be irritated if people died and I could have prevented it, but the least you can do is not take my mana and put skills on CD.

It’s not so much which cast completed 1st, as which cast hit the server as completed 1st.

Take as an example, someone who lives in Japan playing on a US server. They have a 400ms latency. On their screen the heal finished casting 150ms ago. 100ms ago the fatal blow landed. Even though the heal technically finished 1st, because the server received the fatal blow directly from the game where as the player cast had to travel across the ether, the fatal blow is processed 1st in that batch.

I dunno if it’s possible, but they could change pve player spell casting to be high priority and keep pvp player spell casting as low priority to allow player spells in the same batch as fatal blows go off more reliably then the tank just dying despite the healer cast.

This post really helps resonate that you guys are trying to bring us the classic experience. Thank you

1 Like

Honestly I’m as concerned about PvP as I am about PvE. I’m still healing people whether they’re fighting mobs or other players, and I want to keep them alive in both situations. Spells need to be handled in a way that makes sense.

I understand people think some situations are cool and strategic, but when it comes to a heal that could have saved someone’s life, that removes skill from the equation, not to mention the penalty of removing my mana and putting the skill on CD just makes it worse.

1 Like

And that’s a fair concern. Again I don’t know how feasible it would be for them to change it but perhaps making healing spells specifically in pvp high priority would reduce the number of “I healed you and you died anyway” instances.

It’s not an idea I am against off hand. As someone who mained a healer through Legion, (BECAUSE BLIZZARD RUINED MM HUNTERS AND HUNTERS IN GENERAL BUT I’M NOT SALTY!) I’d be frustrated casting heals and people still dying and losing mana for it.

Edit: Or many make the game refund the mana and anything else wasted if the cast goes off and the target still dies. Dunno, if that would be feasible either.

I think making all heals high priority would fix the issue. Nobody seems to have anything against doing that. People who prefer spell batching do so because of the strategic ways they can use that to damage people, and the current negative effect it has on healing feels like an unintended consequence.

I think making heals a priority wouldn’t have any effect on those combos and things that spell batching allows people to do.

Oh come on. The game, like all games, has a mechanic process that is the accumulation of design decisions made by the developers. All the complaining and all the code tweaking that occurred in the past trying to make everyone happy resulted in the crap game we have today. Just play. Just have fun. Quit worrying about trivia.

1 Like

That’s amazing. You guys are doing great, I might just have to play this game again.

You will be fine.

This is fantastic news. It is great to hear the dev team is working so hard to give us an authentic Classic experience.

Awesome work Devs!

to be fair, their was no uproar on spell batch change. of all the things that turned wow into meh spell batch change was not one of them

2 Likes

What 50% of the country had AVAILABLE to them. Is 100% relevant.

I live in Southern California (a pretty well developed area), and DSL wasn’t even available until late 2005. We got it as soon as it became available.

What is irrelevant is your “guess”.

Particularly given that for the first time an MMO reached both gamers and nongamers alike. The idea that only gamers were playing wow and subsequently all gamers had DSL is ridiculous, dishonest, and a blatant strawman if I’ve ever seen one.

If you feel the least bit qualified, you might try using this nifty little thing called google:

“US Broadband Penetration Jumps to 45.2% - US Internet Access Nearly 75% - March 2004 Bandwidth Report”

Make sure you understand it’s contents before you snap back with another snarky response.