Someone please explain to me

Sorry but there is a queue for explanations.

14 Likes

Listening to people cry about how they couldn’t make time to play and trying to shape classic into retail wow by giving everything to everyone is worse. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good lord, suck it up, it’s day 2. This will work itself out. The tourists will leave, and all this unnecessary butthurt spilling forth will be a distant memory before you know it. Everything’s gonna be fine.

5 Likes

Contribute something to the discussion or go elsewhere.

2 Likes

“Contribute” meaning tell you something you wanna hear instead of dousing you with the cold water of reality? Sorry, already worked eight hours today; all outta bull! :laughing:

4 Likes

Contribute something to this discussion. It has all the info you want and more.

1 Like

Seasoned, mostly it boils down to “Server Identity”. Like in real life we have communities that you belong to and feel apart of etc. Contribute to and reap rewards or wreck and rune and have a bad time in answer for.
Server identity is the glue that keeps it all from coming unstuck and turning into “retail”.

2 Likes

Out of the dozen people i knew comi g to classic, none ended up on the same realm because they were forced to different ones from the queues.

The screw up of classic launch set the bar pretty low for future launches so it would be hard to do worse than this. I guess thats the brightside here.

2 Likes

Nope, I mean answer my question and educate me in regards to what I am asking. Lol

Try thinking about server pop 4 months from now. A busy launch with only queue times as an issue isn’t as bad as players are claiming.

The servers could be crashing non stop with multiple restarts.

Queues will die down eventually.

Ooooooh, sorry I get you now. So, what would have been worse? Listening to everyone clamoring for more and more servers and then merging them all later. That would be worse. That’s why they’re trying to avoid that. That’s what they did with Retail and, in case you’ve forgotten, Retail is a mountain of a$$ right now.

Playing devil’s advocate here but I suspect that if Blizz had made too many servers then merged them then there would be a problem with name clashes if toons from the merging servers had the same names.

But I don’t know what the right course of action would have been for the launch, so take my opinions on the matter with a large grain of salt.

1 Like

Maybe this will help.

1 Like

While I understand this point, I feel as if a concrete “server identity” will hardly be established in the month or two it would take before servers were to be combined. Even then, a few months is a small fraction of the lifespan that WoW Classic will likely live out, and a new (probably similar) server identity would take its place after the merge.

Seasoned, my friend you couldn’t be further from the truth. You see it is exactly the first few months that form the deepest, hardest, ‘seasoned’ (*cough), foundations of a server and it’s player base’s relationships and fond feelings for a server and the community.

edit: removed a slurr that was unfair :smiley:

Yes I agree, which is why I mentioned that this should have taken place in the beginning, before people even had the option to pick a server. That way, we wouldn’t be separating friend groups and guilds post name-reservation/launch. If more servers had been available from the start, this wouldn’t be an issue.

These guys are only human. They had no way to know for sure how many people would actually play Classic. They choose to play it as conservatively as possible in an effort to provide the best long term experience … and they miscalculated. A completely understandable mistake. Yet everyone who’s in queues now seems to believe the decision makers should have been prescient. Yeah? Well I don’t think so. I think crap happens and everyone should just roll with it. It is going to work itself out and it isn’t going to take very long for it to happen. Beating them up over it is unproductive and honestly just misplaced negativity.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I was trying to actively search for an explanation as to why, what I feel is a pretty obvious solution to a problem that could have possibly never existed, was never acted upon.

Where we will disagree is “just rolling with it.” I don’t think crying and flaming does anything for anyone, and I am personally not losing any sleep over this; I have other video games to play and other things to do (even though my preference would definitely be Classic WoW right now, lol). Having said that, in my opinion, Blizzard needs to publicly acknowledge their mistake and compensate subscribers for their wasted money and time. As for what is fair compensation… that I don’t know.

If there are name clashes then just give them a last name in the following format: [Player Name] [OG Server Name]

This is a great point that I hadn’t considered!