Some PVE Players Are Selfish

So as a pvp community I feel like we don’t ask a lot. Of course some might, but as a whole we pretty much universally just want to be able to gear up doing the content we enjoy and not feel handicapped, or sub-optimal.

As to the point of this thread, how many times have you seen some pve player say… “Yeah but I work really hard for my pve gear, and I want it to be powerful in pvp too”…

How selfish is this? So these players are completely fine RUINING an entire player community, the pvp community, so they can casually pvp every now and then? They have no problems seeing half their community screwed over and quit the game… So incredibly selfish… Then you see them say

“PvP is a minigame, it’s like pet battles”

So first off, even if that were true… Which it absolutely isn’t and is quite frankly laughable to compare… Even if it were true. Lets say there was this pet battle community… They love pet battles, they hold tournaments. Then blizzard randomly decided to gimp their pet battle system to make it easier for pvp and pve content to get the best pets, and pet levels or whatever doing non-pet battle content forcing them to do our content.

I would absolutely be against this! I would stand up for this pet battle community and support them. I wouldn’t be like…

“hey this makes it easier for me to pet battle tho, I might casually wanna pet battle sometime.”

I would stand up for this small pet battle community because that would be incredibly unfair to them.

23 Likes

I’m with you and I PVE. I’ve seen it too.its BS. If I want to PVP, I’m happy to grind the gear.

Not all of us are the same.

10 Likes

Wanting to be powerful is not the problem. If I have powerful PVP gear, I too would like to be powerful in PVE content. The difference is how it works now is that PVEers with PVE gear are just as, if not more, powerful than PVPers with PVP gear.

People can want their gear to be powerful in both areas of the game, that’s fine. No one wants their gear to feel useless in some areas of the game. The problem arises when their PVE gear overpowers PVP gear in PVP.

I don’t blame people for thinking PVP is a sidegame, as PVP doesn’t recieve the same amount of content as PVE, that’s just a fact. However, Blizzard clearly doesn’t see PVP as equatable to pet battles, that’s just an anti-PVPers hyperbolic way of dismissing us.

If you really want to feel disenfranchised you can wander over the the Beta Forums and watch Ion lie about the reasons.

I will believe this when half of the BiS PVE gear comes from 2400 arenas.

Until then, he’s just blowing smoke ** **** ***.

9 Likes

Because all PvP requires is just good class design/gearing and it has infinite replay value. PvP doesn’t require new content because playing vs other people is the content

PvE requires vastly more work because it has limited replay value. Once tiers are finished people quit. It’s really easy to keep PvP players happy. Design classes well and give solid rewards. It’s not like PvP hasn’t had tourneys for years. I’m glad PvE actually got something that does have mass replay value (M+) but it still does require new content eventually. But raiding is so finite. Plenty of guilds want to just clear the raid then quit or just do sells after. There’s no point to spam doing the raid over and over once you’re geared from it. The bosses are trivial after you’ve killed them for the first time.

22 Likes

ITS NOT SOME ITS MOST iv played pvp from day one and i can tell you for sure every bad thing done in pvp is a result of trash pve players crying from losing res stat to pve gear always being better its all because of bad pve players

1 Like

Yes Dillon I agree, but some people like to use PVP’s lack of content as undeniable proof that Blizzard sees PVP as a side game.

I understand where they are coming from, PVP certainly isn’t on the box for the expansions-- rather it is the lich king, the jailor, the big bad of PVE. And we can’t really compare a few reskinned BG maps / arena maps to the extravagant raids or dungeons.

I do concede that a portion of people definitely like to use this idea as a veil to just disguise their irrational hatred for PVP, but for some, it is all the justification they need to consider PVP as a “sidegame”.

Solution: each raid now has 100 bosses

2 Likes

cataclysm kinda had a good solution to this with resilience on pvp gear,

pve gear generally was better for doing damage in pvp but you also took more damage due to lack of resilience so it balanced itself out.

2 Likes

Resilience was in the game from burning crusade until WoD? Can’t remember which one removed it but it was around a lot longer then cata

Edit:
https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Resilience

Added BC, changed in cata, changed again in MoP, removed in WoD.

3 Likes

Imo it doesn’t have to be a “pvp stat”. A simple corruption like text on PvP gear that says something like " while in PvP combat, you do x% more dmg/healing and take x% less dmg".

It’s easy to understand, there’s no weird stat stacking interactions. The additive nature will make you want to use pvp but doesn’t total screw “raiders” who derp around in bgs.

1 Like

Versatility 100% the same thing as the most recent version of Resilience, the only difference being Resilience was a 3rd secondary stat so every piece of PvP gear was immediately better then PvE gear.

Even if the ilvl was the exact same secondary stats were always just a smidge behind PvE gear in PvE because the Resilience took some of the item stat allotment.

1 Like

It’s pretty obvious that Ion doesn’t want PVP gear to be competitive when playing against PVE players. I’m really not sure why he feels this way, but his statement and his actions reinforce that feeling. Once more, I will quote him:

The fact that he says this, but doesn’t force PVE players to participate in PVP makes it pretty clear where he stands, and he is not likely to change his stance. He’s like the Donald Trump of game designers.

It’s disappointing really. I used to enjoy doing PVP on alts because the Raid grind was too much for more than one or two toons. Now I need to raid on any character I want to PVP on, but by the time I’m done with the PVE grind, I simply don’t have time to participate in PVP. As a result, I’m pretty stuck doing PVE only, and I miss out on PVP entirely.

There is one more obstacle to PVP that doesn’t get mentioned very often. It’s the fact that PVP guilds and PVE guilds are typically separate. My character needs to be in a PVE guild to raid, and there is little interest in PVP among the members. I’ve tried communities, but they feel less of a community than a whittled down general chat.

Now, with Covenants, it’s only going to get worse. I will need to choose one Covenant to get gear, but the Covenant probably won’t be very good outside PVE. It’s just another barrier they’re putting in place. Intentional or not, it’s still a barrier.

I really miss the time when I could participate in the entire game. As it is, it’s difficult to keep up with one part of the game.

I sincerely don’t know how you guys manage to compete is Arenas. Where do you get the time to gather the gear so you can be competitive?

3 Likes

Ion’s statement could very well be referring to special item procs / trinkets from PvE being a viable source of healing/damage in PvP. Doesn’t necessarily mean he wants every PvE item slot to be better.

1 Like

We will know for certain when we see what he does with the PVP vendors in Beta. I honestly hope I’m wrong.

Everything he does reinforces my belief that he wants PVE gear to be better in PVP. Why do you think he designed templates the way he did? He could have simply created templates and been done with it. Instead he decided to add an item level component to them. I quit about that time though (because he removed my spec) so I don’t know if the item level scaling had anything to do with templates not working out.

1 Like

I could be wrong but the 1-10% bonus scaling was to give you a reason to feel semi-rewarded with PvP power by still doing other activities. If you just always played in the same gear you were wearing while leveling because templates allowed you to ignore any form of gearing, the game in Legion would of felt pretty bland.

1 Like

Pretty obvious reason.

He hates PVP, Always has. Was very vocal about it back in the EJ site days, speaks through his Dev decisions now.

3 Likes

Literally never.

Really? You’ve never heard this? Even on the forums?

…Do you know how to read?

Thanks for your time,

Barespanks

1 Like

I mean, Baj says it.

And that’s about the only person I’ve heard harp about it.