Some player creates a fresh 120 and dominates in Arena

this

you mean gear > skill working as intended

as a side note why do you feel that gear > skill is working as intended, or sorry if i’m assuming by your implication
why do you feel that this should be intended

1 Like

No. Skill is still better than gear.

Well, the discussion was a hidden rating that just tries to keep you at a level appropriate for you.

I mentioned previously, but the way people treat rating right now is that it’s a gold standard of excellence. People are trying to move up and, because humans are humans, they have a tendency to stack the team in their favour to provide the best outcome. There’s also an expectation that every game is a win, no matter what.

I used to try to pug RBGs but ultimately gave up because of how things were. First off, nobody wanted a WW monk (back then anyway, not sure if still true) because it wasn’t the meta spec, so getting an invite was all but impossible. On my other characters, we would go in and play a few games, then people would bail at the first loss.

Random BGs are just a casual, solo queue experience. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect to win every game and most people don’t. It just maybe a little rough when you get thrown into that queue with people who are far beyond your level (either by gear, skill, spec, or all three). So the thought we’re having is that some hidden rating keeps track of how well you do in random BGs, without advertising it, and just does its best to match you against people who play at around your level. Probably less rigid matchmaking than you might experience in arenas or RBGs as well.

Blizzard actually already utilizes this kind of thing in Heroes of the Storm, I believe. I seem to recall there’s a hidden rating that drives quick play. It still happens, but if you’re an average player you’re less likely to get matched up with the best players in the world and the worst players in the world. People tend to be roughly around your skill level.

2 Likes

but currently it’s not

1 Like

It absolutely is. Roll a Warrior and see if you do half as well as him.

Sure you going to get me 2400+ healers to play with as well?

1 Like

Sure you can find one. And then go into 3s with a DH who is 390 and still get 67% winrate

big opinions coming out of someone who exclusively plays random battle grounds but ok

skill > gear in bfa

I like your idea, wish they had a way to eliminate afkes

I don’t notice them much. But I know for the people starting out on a boosted character with limited pvp knowledge any hard loss can be discouraging

ESPECIALLY, if they come from a twink environment (being beat down by twinks) and thought once they hit 120 it will get easier

I also don’t see many well coordinated teams lately so wins are easier (hence going in with only 65k to spice things up)

And then you have the solo 1 v 1 players getting irate you beat them down through teamwork ( duel me punk tells right afterwards)

All this contributes to poor Teamwork behavior from player’s

You also have those pve Lord’s who thought once they get high enough ILevel nothing is going stop them… and sure in randoms vs poorly skilled players that person is going feel good but once they get stomped proper by a well coordinated team they either talk ($eurh) to their teammates on why they should gear up past 420 and or they say the other team had op specs and where all high level toons
Anything to protect that ego (natural)

Skill is a very important component to PVP and pve . You can’t mongo your way once you actually face a good team or high enough key

1 Like

You vastly overestimate how many new players we have.

1 Like

Was in a 2s with a WW Monk up against an undergeared Resto Druid and Sin Rogue. They were both around 200k HP, while myself and Monk are 300k+.

The Monk went full tunnel-vision on the Druid, who kited him for 10mins, while the Rogue kept me locked down.

We eventually lost because my healing was negated by dampening and the Rogue’s damage was too much to heal through.

Could be argued that skill > gear in arena, though in this instance it was due to Monk’s lack of skill that caused our loss.

He should have stuck to the Rogue knowing that he would have more uptime to put out pressure, and the undergeared Druid wouldn’t keep up on heals, while I would have had enough peels to contribute more to the fight.

TL;DR … gear > skill in arenas. Losses due to gear disparity = bad player, not good skill.

1 Like

I don’t see toooo many afk people either. The ones I do see are actually just not participating. When you challenge them, they actually start talking trash. I’ve like 5 people rally against me with them, all the while they are still chilling off on their own by themselves. In short, I guess, people are idiots.

Anyway, do we have all that many boosted people who don’t know what they’re doing? I mean, I’ve played a new character a time or two myself but I’ve been playing the game for 15 years, so I know enough to look up a build and a rough idea how to play. Within a few games I feel fairly effective. Not a pro, but effective enough that I feel like I’m playing adequately against other people.

Yea we talked about this above, I definitely agree here. Arena matchmaking does a good job of putting you near people at your skill level, so it balances out the equation. Not sure if you played a lot of games with that monk though, or if it was just the one. If you keep playing though, eventually you guys will land at a place where the two of you can play.

Out of curiosity, were you on voice comms with that monk asking for help and they were ignoring you?

Jus someone I picked up on LFG, no comms. Majority of my Arena is through LFG since I play off-peak US time and there doesn’t seem to be many Aussie/NZ players doing Arena, including the guild.

We played around 4 games I think, though in the two we were matched against a Resto Druid, he would only tunnel the Druid and fail.

Just curious, more than anything. Without comms it’s pretty hard. I’ve found people mostly receptive to teamwork if you can talk to them, but in certain areas it’s tough. If you’re not on comms for arenas, definitely, and in BGs I think there’s just too many people that it’s hard to make any meaningful progress.

Anyway, that’s too bad. When I was a doing a bit of arenas with my paladin friend, I would spend a lot of time tunneling the healer, or switching to try to make an opportunity, but we were on comms so he could call me over to help him when he needed it. Resto druids are especially hard to stay on top of as well… I found I pretty much had to use all of my movement abilities perfectly to stay on top of them, and even then between the barkskin perk and thorns, they are pretty hard to touch. They barely need peels at all.

Eeeeh… Sure. Gear doesn’t matter so long as your unrated and pull out the insanely geared healer who does half your damage from your back pocket and farm some mid 1000 ranked players.

For most players, gear matters. A lot. lol

there are players hard stuck at 1500 with 437 ILevel , so yes for those players gear is everything

1 Like