Some player creates a fresh 120 and dominates in Arena

Doing the basic necessity of what is needed is not good team work.

It is futile to debate a brick wall.

or a lead belly?

I never did get into PvP in that game, is it pretty casual? The PvE side felt anything but… in order to craft my set I was logging in every day to gather mats, play the auction house, and grind out fractals.

I did enjoy the game, but felt I never had time for PvP lol.

Gear only matters in the world versus world component of PvP, which is the game’s zerg fest. Instanced PvP is available from level 1 and everyone has access to the same gear immediately. The progression is cosmetic-only.

I could never get with the floaty feel of combat in that game but I always appreciated their approach to PvP. It’s like legion that goes another step further.

Anyway, on topic…

This is just an exceptionally skilled player with exceptionally poor gear achieving mediocre results. If anything, it just proves that skill matters a lot (otherwise he’d be in the dumpster bracket with sub-400 gear) and that gear matters a lot too (otherwise he wouldn’t be ~50% w:l against players much worse than him).

Which is more important? Probably skill, but who really cares? Seems to me that gear (and neck, azerite gear, and essences) matter a ton up to a certain, extremely reasonable to obtain point, after which it tapers off considerably.

It’s not hard to get to a place where gear is no longer the reason for our bad results, and that place is even easier to get to where random BG’s are concerned rather than arena.

2 Likes

Precisely. You can’t win.

That’s cool, and I like that. I enjoyed while I was playing it, but all my friends who I started playing with quit and I’m scared of interacting with strangers :stuck_out_tongue: I’m sure I’ll go back to it one day and give it another try. My main was also a mesmer, which was a really confusing class to play >.<

Yea, I’ve been saying for a bit now in this thread that your final result is some combination of your gear and skill. Both have an impact. I’m not sure there is a point where gear no longer matters though… I raised this question to someone else in this thread who disagreed with my statements, but they never got back to me. He was a 2100+ rated player in 2’s with 440 ilvl. I’m pretty sure that if they dropped their gear to even 420, they would experience a drop in ratings.

It would be an interesting experiment though…

He is at 63% winrate and still under 400 ilvl. I’d like to see others try this. Skill definitely plays a part.

The higher his ilvl gets the better his percentage becomes. Hmm…imagine that.

2 Likes

I would like to see him play with a healer that is his gear level too. Not with the 425+ mw or the 440 rdruid

3 Likes

Not really. He was at 50% at 398

Meanwhile I’m wondering why this was posted in the Battlegrounds forum :thinking:

1 Like

Gear has been a hot debate here.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/proudmoore/cvm

this is who he played with. Doesn’t look 425+ to me

But they are also confusing to fight. :wink:

Erelir, is right about the gear but even in WPvP the gains are minimal when compared to WoW (or other games). Here are some mesmer movies if interested. GW2 is much more about reaction time than WoW. WoW is more about game knowledge.

Maybe they could add a secret, hidden MMR for random bgs.

You are correct I been bad at judging ilvls since they added the neck stam buffs. However that was the person he played with at first.
He later goes to play with

3 Likes

And that’s when his winrate lowered funny enough.

this should be in the arena forum, gear does matter in bgs