[Solution] Removal of the option to turn Lighting Effects off

Patch 8.2 removed the option to turn lighting effects off, a change which I don’t believe was mentioned in the patch notes.

This greatly affects people with lower-end PCs (such as me) with a required graphical upgrade mid expasion.

Much of the newer places (Boralus, Blade’s Edge Arena etc.) have plenty of lightning effects, as do newer spell effects (Chaos Bolt and Beacon of Light). So, this removal greatly affects playability by dropping FPS for somewhat low visual gain.

Despite it, Sin’dor (from XPOff) managed to found console commands that allow players to turn those setting off.

/console set maxLightDist “0”

Toggles lights off.

/run SetCVar(“maxLightDist”,2048-GetCVar(“maxLightDist”))

Toggles lights On/Off.

/run local i,L,D=1,{“Off”,“Close-range”,“Max-Distance”,“Off”},{“0”,“35”,“2048”,“0”} while L[i] do if D[i]==GetCVar(“maxLightDist”) then print("Lights: "…L[i+1]) SetCVar(“maxLightDist”,D[i+1]) break end i=i+1 end

Cycles between the default ( “Max-Distance” ) lights, proximity-based ( “Close-range” ) lights, and no ( “Off” ) lights.

Hope this helps anyone out there!

2 Likes

Thank you for this.

Intel HD 520 was getting murdered by this forced lighting garbage on my Surface.

1 Like

A small necro on this topic.

This solution was posted on patch 8.1, but every patch seemed to reset the original command issued by the macro.

So if you are have unexpected FPS drops after 8.3 it may be due to this. I believe only the first macro is working nowdays.