Solenor the Slayer

The hunter quest demon in silithus " Solenor the Slayer" keeps randomly resetting for no apparent reason. It is not leashing because I am hitting it regularly.

Can you please fix this bug Activision?

FYI I was able to kill it using the kite strat (ie not cheese strat with a warlock helping) but it randomly resets which makes it very frustrating / rng dependent

4 Likes

Can confirm, I’ve had him leash multiple times despite recently hitting him after a fear. Frustrating to say the least.

1 Like

Yup, having this same issue right now.

I’ll be doing damage to him, and immediately after he just runs back to his location. Have to start all over again.

1 Like

Can you elaborate? I kited him almost to CH, then tried to turn around because I didn’t want to aggro the guards, and got feared.

Can corroborate:

I have tried multiple times, pulling at different spots, using different traps, staying within Scatter Shot range etc…and he keeps randomly evade bugging. Please fix.

You have to stay within a narrow distance range. Get too close, he hits you, get too far he resets. I remember this being very frustrating since the actual fight is easy, but ranging properly being the harder part. Try not getting so far ahead.

I have been in scatter shot range the entire fight with him evading. He has evaded while trapped, and me being dead zoned. He has evaded right after wing clipping. True…range is part of the challenge but, it isn’t WAI ATM IMO.

EDIT.

After testing I am fairly sure that what is bugging this encounter is any immobilizing effect. I tried kiting the mob towards CH and he never evaded unless I used WC, which immobilizes him. Since his movement speed is so fast, he does catch up to us, which makes kiting difficult. I respeced into Pathfinding and improved Conq Shot to help with this and without fail he resets if Imp Conq/immobilize goes off.

Has anyone found a workaround strategy for this encounter?

The Warlock Curse of Recklessness Rank 1 method is not working, he still fears you when it’s on. :confounded:

I helped a guildie hunter last night. We dueled, I cast r1 CoR on him, and refreshed it once when the demon was nearly dead. Hunter never got feared and got the head on his first try.

The best way to kill this demon is a combination of the Vanilla strat and kiting. You do not need a lock for this and need only one Greater Shadow Protection Pot.

Engage Solenor near the ruins of AQ…see link below.

First, use a Greater Shadow Protection Pot and wait for the two minute cool-down. Next, place a Frost Trap at at least max range. Engage Solenor, make sure he hits the trap, then Feign Death. (NOTE: The fact that his footprint is incredibly small coupled with his speed makes him the hardest demon to trap.)

Second, with Aspect of the Hawk activated, place and Explosive trap at max range. Blow all CD’s/consumables you want let him come into melee range and use Rank 3 Wing Clip. Get range, but not max. The Explosive trap should take care of the majority of bugs. Once ranged unload again. You will most likely get feared twice while he is immobilized. Before the first fear, I chose to use Arcane Shot followed by Multi-Shot instead of Aimed shot. I found that there was a high chance that the first fear would happen during the cast.

Immediately after the second fear, be sure to refresh Serpent Sting, and be ready to switch into Aspect of the Cheetah. Once he is free of the immobilizing effect, the rest of the fight is kiting.

He can still evade, but with immobilizing him only once, the chance is greatly decreased. Also, if you have to scatter, be sure that you hit him with Arcane Shot as soon as you are at a safe distance. He will sometime evade after Scatter Shot.

The video below shows a hunter kiting this demon the entire fight. While this is totally do-able, I found the above method to be faster which allows for fewer bugs and fewer mistakes.

3 Likes

Thank you @Beleriand for your suggestions. That initial burst does seem to help some. Unfortunately, I got screwed a few times with evade bug and got disconnected when I had him in that slow walk towards the end. He just now evade bugged on me and reset so I have to wait for respawn but I feel confident with this method I can do it.

Update: Just downed him with this method. Thanks again @Beleriand! =)

I can confirm these things:

Doing the fight as intended with root and fear, after getting out of fear he resets randomly. No one else around.

Even trying kite strategy he would reset after getting hit with an arcane shot. No one else around.

Using rank 1 warlock fear works, cheeses the fight, but if anyone is close to the demon or bugs (even if they are afk) the demon will reset mid fight even when you are unloading on him. Probably intended mechanic. Killed him a few times this way, but warlock has to keep distance.

Only way I haven’t killed him is the way the fight is designed, wing clip, eat fear with no lock cheese. He just resets. Got him to 10% this way but that’s as close as I’ve got.

I love these demon fights. Too bad the scripting is bad. Ungoro dog also leashes and resets leaving just the demon. I do remember the dog following us around the pond in vanilla, now he just leashes.

Using @Beleriand’s method I also did it a second time for another hunter for 100g. =) That initial burst does seem to help cut down on the opportunities for him to bug out. I think any CC other than snare increases the chance for him to evade. I notice when Improved Concussion or Scattershot drops if you haven’t damaged them about the same time then he evades more often. So if my Improved Conc triggered I would also arcane shot and that seemed to help. It’s not full proof but the strategy has worked twice for me now.

"
Kaivax

267 posts

Community Manager

7d

We’ve implemented a bugfix this week that should now be live in this region.

• Fixed a bug that caused creatures such as Solenor the Slayer to misbehave when pursuing the player. Groups of creatures that commit to combat as a group will now all continue to pursue whenever any one of them are struck by a player attack or ability.

Solenor the Slayer should no longer reset if the player strikes the adds that he summons while he’s rooted, or if the player strikes Solenor himself. And now, if you aggro one of a group of creatures in any zone, and then you keep occasionally hitting any one of them, the whole group will follow you across the zone."

Just finished killing this dude and he was constantly resetting for me.

Then my buddy noticed that I was using my pet. Having pet out will make him despawn.

Put pet away and easily killed him.

No pet out. No people around. Not partied
Resets with a dot on him or right as it falls of during his “deathcoil / fear”
On my last attempt yesterday he reset in between auto attacks.

This, on top of gankers, consumables, etc. This is incredibly frustrating.

The second I brought a Warlock out to curse me I killed it. dreadful-fright seems to be causing his aggro to drop instantly after you get feared

I manged to finally down him today, but when the fight was over I had no option to loot him.

The strat I used I never saw a video for but stumbled on another hunter doing it. It works similar to fighting klinfran using the tree pathing, jumoing up when he gets close, jumoing down when he runs around and gets close again.

You do this on the first wall along the hive just north of where he spawns. The wall starts with a ramp, you kite him up the wall, then junp down where the first dip is when hes close. He will path back down beginning of wall and come towards you on ground, when he vets close just jump up and same thing, he runs back around up ramp and down wall. I one shotted him with this strat with no potions, just a mana pot that i didnt need but made fight faster. Just kill few elite bugs up to the dip where you jump up and down. By far easiest demon using this method.

interesting find man. good job

please fix asap!