Soar speed nerfed by 30%

Nah, Dragonriding is still the same 900% speed, it’s only Dracthyr’s racial Soar that has been nerfed “because reasons” while keeping an absurdly long CD

7 Likes

it’s probably just wanting to force dracthyr to need to interact with the dragonriding system then.

I imagine more tweaks and changes will come to the soar ability as alpha/beta goes on.

1 Like

It makes the Dracthyr starting experience annoying to traverse due to the long cooldown because you don’t have your Dragonriding Drake mount yet. Your quests are far apart, so sometimes you have to hoof it for long distances, or wait 3-4 minutes for the cooldown to expire. Thankfully the starting experience is short.

9 Likes

It seems like letting WoWHead have free access to the data and letting streamers freely share every change is a horrible way to do an alpha.

Pretty much every piece of information released and tuning updates immediately turns to forum/social media outrage.

2 Likes

I’m just trying to understand what tactical advantage soar granted that made it overpowered and deserving of a reduction.

What factor of power does moving faster out of combat grant players?

17 Likes

I don’t know honestly.

Maybe they are thinking of a PVP scenario, where nobody can escape from Dracthyr… but if anything that makes PVP even better, flying mounts no longer feel completely safe.

It’s just a “fun detected” movement

Edit
Bravo Vynesttra!! Thanks for speaking up!!!

:clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-dragonriding/1279462/81

5 Likes

You have to keep in mind that Dragon Isles is the newer content. And Newer content tends to have a lot more things going in it, which leads to Blizzard to change the game around enough to support the new zones. This does however will have unintended consequences for old zones, considering, they weren’t built for 940% flying.

Consideration does not mean capitulation.

2 Likes

“We listened and understand that players were having fun. We have therefore nerfed the fun because we are terrible at our jobs and/or actively trying to sabotage our own success.”

24 Likes

They’re never removing or reducing the cooldown. The maximum speed nerf is confirmation that they want to keep use of Soar limited and locked down.

Is it actually a nerf if it was never live in that state?

2 Likes

In my opinion, the entire point of having a dragon race is being able to travel the world many times faster than a normal mount could.

6 Likes

Pure fun detection here…. Prevent from activating in combat and ensure unuseable in instanced pvp.

Don’t reduce the speed……

Honestly if you play Evoker, just make it a mount ability like running wild so that you can level it up with dragon riding…. Same speed, same advancements.

15 Likes

Blizzard is the most “Anti-fun” developer. I’m already losing hope for DF.

15 Likes

At this point, blizzard promptly making me eat my words of defense regarding them is clockwork.

7 Likes

Pretty much to be expected sadly.

3 Likes

I really don’t understand Blizzard design goals with this kind of stuff. What’s the point of this nerf? The skill already has a massive cooldown and is inferior to regular dragonriding since you don’t have any upgrades, basically only relevant to old zones. If they want to still want to ahead a nerf it, they should at least remove the cooldown.

12 Likes

This is classic Blizzard “fun detected” moment. Soar has had universal praise and the feedback has been “Hey this is great, can you lower the cooldown so we can use it more?” and Blizzard’s response is to make it less desirable instead.

I feel like an idiot for thinking maybe they had finally improved on listening to players.

20 Likes

The thing that bothers me the most is the reason for this. I get it. Dracthyr go zoom too hard, slow it a little. Ok. So where’s the give to go with the take here? Its a 5 minute CD ability. You want us to have the fantasy of a flying race, but you put them behind a 5 min CD lock. Its already a gimmick at that point that’s gonna fall to the wayside to regular mounts and flight paths once the novelty is worn out.

The excuse for the nerf is what frustrates me greatly.
Don’t claim you want to keep it from being advantageous over other classes/races when Druids have instant flight form and can herb gather in said form.

Or when DH can do their fancy glide zoom in instanced content.

What advantage does Soar in the open world have over others in hunting transmog? Getting there? Flight paths, Mage portals, summoning stones, instant summon friends below level 50.

Pet battles? What, by dive bombing onto a fightable critter that MIGHT be blue quality?

These reasons, respectfully, are bulldung.

If its something to do with load issues in old zones, just be honest and say so. If you think soar ACTUALLY has some mechanical advantage in open world content, you need to review all your classes and realize a good handful of us have open world travel perks.

Keep the speed nerf if you must, they are dummy fast still anyways. But compensate it by trimming the timer.

Better yet (in my opinion) Just remove soar outside of the isle and give Dracthyr normal flight with normal speed based on ride training level, just like how druid fight speed works.

12 Likes

Blizzard will never learn, this expansion will end up just as horrible as Shadowlands at this rate.

3 Likes