So your not too sure if you want a SSD

Any particular reason you didn’t specify what kind storage you bought here? :thinking: (is it an HDD or SSD?)

I mean, i know it’s obvious that it’s HDD, because no SSD i checked are 8 TB and only cost around $150 (unless you’re willing to share us a link to where you get it where it’s that cheap), but i’m asking you to confirm it yourself on what kind of storage drive you got here. Maybe you saying “backup” is your way of saying HDD, implying it’s a storage space that won’t be actively used with the only exception of being the circumstances of rollback.

For WoW only, i would say 250gb-500gb at minimum if you only want to play WoW on it.

120gb is enough, but storage spaces always reserve 10% of the storage space, so 108gb may be enough, but that’s not enough to accommodate for patches and such.

Because I was using the size as an example, not the type of drive.

This is what I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5V2ZXD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ALL storage drives are coming down in price.

About the same time, I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L3D19MY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which is extremely low compared to what that would have cost 5 years ago.

I paid more than that for the 256GB SSD that ended up in my computer originally.

The 3 TB HDD I purchased with it was around $150 at the time, as I recall. (The above SSD had a similar price tag, at the time).

SSD storage is actually very cheap compared to the RECENT past. The price has dropped QUICKLY.

Unless your budget is already shoe-string, SSD should be a no brainer.

I agree SSDs are worthwhile, but I am with the other dude.

Your post was a bit hard to follow.

I also thought you meant it was an SSD due to the context of your post.

I understand what are you trying to say by saing “back in the past, 1tb SSD are much more money then they are nowadays”, and 1TB SSD for $100 to $120 is cheap. As well as 8TB of HDD storage.

It is important to know that price is a still factor here. While the price of the storage is cheap, that is multiplicative by the speed of the storage drive, given what kind it is or how much RPM it runs.

An 8TB Storage on the HDD does cost $150. But an 8TB SSD storage will be 10x of that price the very least. 1 TB HDD costs half of what a 1 TB SSD is. And so on.

Keeping the prices the same here, $150 will get you 1TB SSD or 8GB HDD. Well i say Or, it’s or/and depending on how much you want to spend.

Speaking of $150, why did you bought a 3TB of HDD for the same price for 8TB HDD? Wouldn’t it make sense to get 2 8TB’s if your gonna spend $300 in storage in total? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Bought it 5 years ago as an internal drive.

The 8 TB drive I just bought a couple months ago.

I was using both as an example of how much the price has come down (or inversely how much MORE storage you can but for your money today)

Oh okay, that makes sense.

Crap, now i want an 8TB hard drive if their that cheap, jesus. :laughing:

Ahh, alright.

That link I posted for the one I bought is current.

Quite frankly I was surprised to find it so low, because the last time I remember seeing THAT much storage you were looking at $1000 easy.

1 Like

I hear people complain about 3tb drives reliability. Any problems with those?

I currently only have 1tb and 4tb drives and haven’t had any issues.

My first encounter with SSDs was back around 2011, when the 7200RPM spinning rust in a 2009 27" iMac started giving up the ghost. SSDs had just started making their way into the enthusiast market in a big way, and I was ok with trading off capacity for speed since I had a couple of external HDs I could lean on for bulk storage. I replaced the failing HD with one of the Intel SATA SSDs that was considered the top dog at the time, and even though it was slow by modern standards, it absolutely flew in comparison to the HD.

Since then, I’ve tried to make sure that my daily driver systems had SSDs one way or another, even during the years I was on a ramen budget. It was just too good to have to do without.

Today the only reason I’d buy anything with an HD is for home server purposes, where speed doesn’t matter and you just need as much capacity as possible to support a proper RAID setup.

Wish I was on the fence LONGER. Going with the $400 32GB SSD drives in 2010 ish.

Been using SSDs for about 8 years now. Love them! No problems ever encountered, and it takes like 7 seconds to boot my computer. Everything loads up very fast too.