So you want a level squish, eh?

Is this in regards to every level below 120 or something? Because I feel plenty powerful at 120 400+ ilvl one shotting boars outside of orgrimmar. So powerful that the red mobs (raptors) won’t even aggro me unless I run through them.

It’s great :+1:t2:

I like scaling to a point. But there needs to be a light at the end of the tunnel when the scaling runs out and you have a good old fashion ROTFLstomp on a specific area. Yes things are fun when they are challenging but that feeling runs out if your always “challenged” on the same content. After a while the “Challenged” feeling turns to that of annoyance.

This is basically the crux of the levelling issue imo.

Scaling for levelling is fantastic and I wish it was broader so I had more freedom to level where I choose, but how were rewarded during levelling is borked.

Squishing levels down is the easiest way to do it, since it’s better to spread out new abilities and talents over 60 levels than it is 120, but it does have the psychological issue of feeling less powerful, which is a valid thing.

Another way could be to reward strong boxes at certain levels, giving things like gear, XP potions, and other items which could be useful for levelling.

Or even bring back optional class quests similar to how Monks have it, where your tested on how to use the new abilities you earned and get some cool class related gear in the process.

Theirs many ways to solve the unrewarding levelling issue, but removing scaling isn’t one of them.

That’s because scaling for vanilla zones caps at level 60. At the moment, you can outgear them massively, as it should be.

But what if they decided to “squish” levels to 60 and make the whole game scale from 1-60? Those boars would suddenly be a pain in the behind. Not dangerous, just endlessly annoying in a dismounty, trashy way (but hey, we’ve got mount equipment we can sell you to fix that!)

Yes it is. For some reason, Ion truly believes that going back and stomping old content when you outgear it is not fun - he’s outright said so repeatedly.

On that subject, Ion is wrong. Very, very wrong.

See, you are talking about ilvl scaling, something i HATE in Legion and BfA!

Worst thing they ever did to the game, and i agree with you 100%!

1 Like

No, you don’t. Actually you get weaker. Especially if you are not wearing heirlooms. Everytime you gain a level, the mobs grow relative to your level, not your ilvl. So what was previously a “good” ilvl, is now weaker against a mob that leveled with you.

These are too few and far between. Talents come every 15 levels, and when you get a seemingly “useless” one (mobility) … it just feels like a 30 level gap between things you want. Take shadow priest for example.

Go google priest abilities (wowpedia).

By level 30 you have almost everything you need for your “standard rotation”. Which means the next 90 levels feel like a waste of time.

World scaling took that problem and made it worse. You are correct it isn’t solely responsible. I honestly feel like the game genuinely feels even worse than it did before.

That being said - I more or less agree with everything you are saying from there on about max level ilvl inflation issues.

2 Likes

Taking out the ilvl scaling they put in in 7.3.5, would go a LONG way if fixing some of the most current issues plaguing the leveling experience in Legion and BfA.

I did not notice the ilvl scaling on my Zandalari Troll Hunter a few weeks ago during leveling up to level 100, but you hit a wall when you get to Legion/BfA content. Because you can no longer get, and use a Artifact, and Leggos unless you have thousands of essences to buy your alts those leggos, you are a whimp when hitting BfA even at level 110. Unless you run dungeons only through Legion to gear up, you are just meh because of ilvl scaling.

It needs to go.

Simply put, item scaling and level scaling takes away the sense of progression. Don’t feel any stronger, ever, because everything macthes your strength.

Where does that sound fun?

1 Like

Not to mention all the screw ups that are bound to happen. Can’t wait until the Lich King one shots some people farming Invincible with Fury of Frostmourne.

Idk what fools wanted scaling. That along with a level squish and the multiple stat squishes they’ve done has just been stupid.

People wanted scaling so they could do more than 5 quests in a zone before it greys out and they need to move to another zone to keep progressing.

Imagine having a kindle that only let you read the first 5 pages of each book. Is that a good kindle? No, it’s awful. It would be frustrating and make you stop using it.

“Frustrating and makes the user stop using it” is the worst game design possible, but that is how levelling in WoW worked before level scaling.

Because of level scaling, and because of parallel expansions like BC & Wrath, you go through fewer zones while levelling. That means fewer stories that you can get further along in. That’s a much better game design.

It’s obvious you are for scaling.

But look at it from the other side.

What about the players that want to get stronger as they level up? Hence the point of training to begin with. It’s like practicing to drive a Formula-1 but only being able to drive a Prius.

1 Like

I hate scaling and I hate squishes. I want an official statement from Blizz if they intend to do a squish so I can quit wasting any more of my time (10+ years / 16 max level chars).

2 Likes

Figure someone strong who trained all his life for tournaments and suddenly he can’t lift a feather.

We have progression in life, we begin as toddlers and we learn to crawl, walk on all four, walk on two legs, run, jump and many other things.

We do have some progressions in life. Our characters killed insects, rats and weak creatures all to be able to kill bosses like Sargeras and many more will come.

Scaling is a mistake. A huge one. I don’t understand people who likes TES and now WoW scaling. There is no progression there. We are stuck and can’t feel the power our characters are supposed to be.

Imagine a game where you play as the avengers and Thor is as strong as Hawk-Eye the whole game. God of thunder my ar**

Bring back character progression and no level squish. We worked for it. Others will have to.

1 Like

And then you age and all the little injuries you shrugged off in your youth start to really bother you. And weather changes make your bones hurt. And your knees go out so you can’t run. Your eyes get worse and you need bifocals. Your memory starts to fade. Or you just get fat and lazy and die youngish of complications from diabetes and heart disease.

You can still go back and blow up those boars in Durotar, you just need to get a little further ahead in levels that previously. Also, there was quite a long period where those boars were pushovers at level because they were designed in 2004 for 71 point talent trees and 60 levels with millions of XP and all that changed a ton as the game got older.

Level scaling by itself solves nothing.

1 Like

It solved what Blizzard intended it to solve: leveling being too easy due to class design changes and XP nerfs to the point of completely trivial 1 button combat. Now you can either use 1 button or practice an actual rotation with a fairly static time to kill.

They simply weren’t prepared for how boring that would be for 120 levels, with leveling speeds drastically nerfed, and certain specializations that only truly work at levels 100+ with their entire kits.

What people want is it to take less time to level. What they are getting is less levels but they take 2x as long as they use to lol

2 Likes

That’s not at all what character progression is. I’m surprised you didn’t know that.

2 Likes

You can hit max level right now in under 20 hours with a fully optimized character and path. Average times wouldn’t be much greater. I have 50 hours on my DiD Shaman that hit 120 on 6/10/19. I spent 115-120 farming IE’s which isn’t exactly fast. The length of time to max would likely stay roughly the same, but the journey would be improved.