So you want a level squish, eh?

I do not want the level squish at all, but if it happens I have lots of alternatives. I am getting a Switch next week, I have a ton of games on steam, and I recently bought a replacement super nintendo. If Blizzard does this lame idiotic squish, I will just quit. I am having a blast in game, but I am not playing if all my work to hit 120 goes out the window.

1 Like

No, that’s San’layn & High Elves

Because people want to also level efficiently, and while some did fully finish zones after they went grey, for most they just left 1/2 way into a zone because they weren’t being rewarded properly for their current level. Scaling fixes that.

Health pools for questing mobs aren’t approaching the trillions though. That’s the difference. Without a squish the numbers would have capped out around the end of WoD and the devs couldn’t do anything about it, so we would be at the same effective power level forever.

3 Likes

Nope. I dont want to pve so I dont get oneshot in pvp.

That was claimed to be a limitation of the 32-bit game client - a limitation the devs later admitted could have been worked around, but they CHOSE not to.

Funny how misinformation and myths turn into “facts” with the passing of time.

2 Likes

It’s also a thing with player perception as well. Imagine having to read your DPS in the trillions as opposed to thousands. For alot of people smaller numbers are easier to get a grasp on and understand, which makes the game less confusing at face value.

Plus eventually they would have to squish because if we continued to gain power at the rate we did back in MoP, our numbers could potentially be in the quintillions.

Bigger =/= better, especially considering our actual effective TTK (How many casts it takes to kill a enemy) on mobs wouldn’t change, since the mobs in newer content would be stronger to match us (for a time).

Plus if you had to sim your character to optimize DPS, do you really want to be dealing with differences in the trillions? I certainly don’t.

It doesn’t matter. Leveling in retail serves no purpose and just wasting time.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with a level squish or stat squish unless you want your character profile looking like this.

level 10000
strength 3659987347
Stamina 6859478

Get the idea, now think about the headache the developers would have with that…

Yes, in BfA. That hasn’t been the case previously. They just dropped the ball big time in BfA by giving players nothing for levelling, and instead making each level a signpost that your character just became weaker.

Something which they said they’d never do again after a much lesser version of it happened in WoD because of rapidly decreasing secondary stats, by the way.

There are many ways of shortening large numbers for those who want a compact overview. Certainly that would have been preferable to the sheer volume of things that got broken by the last two squishes.

1 Like

They fixed this at the start of Legion. The game can handle numbers up to 9 quadrillion now.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed this issue with my scaling. I got stronger, and I absolutely destroy open world mobs 10 times harder than I did when I hit 120. They obviously still scaled some, but their scaling is nowhere near the scaling of player gear.

I run over world mobs like it’s an expansion late and a dollar short.

All in all I gotta say my character progression feels perfectly normal.

better than item squish.

I think thats incredibly inaccurate. Older players are the ones that stick around.

2 Likes

Thinking that my character getting more powerful as I level up is a “weird power fantasy”

Leveling up and getting more gear to become stronger in an MMORPG is a weird power fantasy.

Sweet Jesus…

There is a difference between “growing stronger” and “pure invalidation of content” again, the Elder Scrolls Skyrim is one of the best examples of this. There is a constant sense of growing stronger in a satisfying way without turning enemies into one shot targets.

Character Growth shouldn’t be based purely upon arbitrary power fantasies of “Lol, I can one shot the Lich King” and more on “I can kill things a bit faster and have far more utility and tools to work with than I did last time I was here”

There should always be a feeling of growing stronger but that does not need to be as binary as it has been in WoW and older MMO’s for as long as it has been.

2 Likes

Highly unlikely. Anyone who weathered WoD through BFA is too complacent and attached to WoW to leave. Anyone who has skipped any expansion or any significant part of an expansion doesn’t really matter since they can’t be counted on to be a consistent consumer. And even if they do leave unless they are a WoW whale who spends lots of real world money on store sales, Blizzard won’t have lost much.

I can 1 shot dragons in Skyrim though. Especially building a stealth based character. Now, when you hit them and they fly up, die, and crash land halfway across the map is where it gets bad.

When I’m farming transmog and have ran the same dungeon/raid dozens/hundreds of times why do I care about having more utility or killing things ‘a bit faster’?

I want to one shot it and get out asap. I’ve already experienced the “journey”. I don’t need to experience it 100 more times.

4 Likes

World scaling is one of the better changes in the game tbh.

I actually pronounce it “squorsh”.

3 Likes