So where did the Story went wrong?

I personally think blizzard is puttimg its toes in the water for three to four factions. Because the Alliance with Stormwind has lead to a hegemony with a country that not only isn’t what it promised but undermines the existence of its member states.

A good example ia Anduin’s short comings leading to the sharpest decline of the largest and wealthiest ally outside of Ironforge and he can’t even apologize.

Anduin’s disposition doesn’t make the Horde any better, it makes them worse. Its a crisis of three kinds.

1. A crisis of lies
  2. A crisis of loyalty
  3. A crisis of existence

A crisis of lies between the Alliance because Varian/Anduin’s actions have lead to the rapid decline of their largest and most strategic Ally: the Kaldorei.

A Crisis of loyalty within the Horde because survival and autonomy means measures against a party that doesn’t even concede ruins. We get a little dialogue of this between Danath Trollbane and Lady Liadrin in the Arathi Warfront; where Liadrin confers with Danath that he conceded Stromgarde years ago (inferring his dedication to Outland and the sons of Lothar liquidated his interest.)

Furthermore in regards to #2, the Forsaken have their own member of House Trollbane and thus Arathi is legally a Forsaken investment.

1. I’m not much of a Horde player so forgive me but, both Garrosh and Sylvanas’s had expressed vivid inturest in securing the borders and boundaries of their people permanently. This makes sense since their old world of Outland is dying and falling apart and all of the Eastern Kingdoms is claimed by present or absent parties and more than half of Kalimdore is held or contested by the Night Elves.

The Horde, even with the inclusion of Quel’thalas is really in a shrinking bubble with a membership thats actually expanding.

Its sad because we love the Kaldorei but respect the Horde but neither Continent is large enough for both of them. Personally, Garrosh should have used Hamuul’s connection to the cenarion circle to lay claim to the rest of the plague lands and Hinterlands and take the 15 year pressure off the shoulder of the Frost Wolf clan permanently. But of course doing so would put Orgrimmar in danger of a Teldrassil therefore its better them than us scenario.

At the end of the day, it is Warcraft after all. And there is no war without its irrationality; ask the dude who started WW1.

3 Likes

Not to mention they were so lazy and cringey they just wholesale copied things for quest storylines. Westfall became CSI Miami and Uldum was Indiana Jones. It’s cool if they have like 1 NPC to reference something, but straight up copying to that degree was so boring and bad and cringe.

1 Like

This should be a thread on it’s own. Damn. Forget hitting a nail on the head, you just built a fence in one post.

1 Like

The title is where it went wrong.

1 Like

It went wrong when they made the story focus on one dimensional characters instead of the lore and world of the setting.

A problem made worse when these already bare bones characters and forced to conform to the needs of the plot, making them say or do weird things that are utterly out of character for them.

4 Likes

Because wearing the weakess weapon you had, then just waiting for a bar to fill out is not, and will never be engaging gameplay. I remember just leveling up my weapon skills in Violet Hold, it was not fun by any stretch.

1 Like

I remember getting a weapon upgrade on my DK during Lich King and having to go stand on a beach in the Borean Tundra and kill endlessly respawning K’valdir just to get my weapon skill up. Good times!

1 Like

I believe you could have done that on a training dummy in Ironforge if memory serves.