So What's the Status of Troll Guilds?

Please pay no attention to my name or guild when answering this question.
I'm not aware of any active ones with a presence. Troll guilds tend to die down after awhile or isolate themselves from most people... for reasons. Don't know any of them though.
09/18/2018 06:04 PMPosted by Yokumba
Please pay no attention to my name or guild when answering this question.

<scrutiny intensifies>
What Jimlok said. Although this was recently posted on the community lists by Azuulai:

Name: Darkspear Revolutionaries
RP/PvE/PvP: RP
Theme: Darkspear Trolls
Summary: A Darkspear Troll centered RP community that is open to all individuals that RP Darkspear so that we can create events, discuss lore, and have some fun!
Prerequisite For Joining: Must RP a Darkspear Troll
Community Link Information: https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/invite/9bNjaMAFney?region=US&faction=Horde

I think people are interested. It's just that no one has managed to keep things going over the long term. I've seen a few come and go over the last year. Here's hoping all the trolls can come together and create something!
09/18/2018 09:58 PMPosted by Flywheel
What Jimlok said. Although this was recently posted on the community lists by Azuulai:

Name: Darkspear Revolutionaries
RP/PvE/PvP: RP
Theme: Darkspear Trolls
Summary: A Darkspear Troll centered RP community that is open to all individuals that RP Darkspear so that we can create events, discuss lore, and have some fun!
Prerequisite For Joining: Must RP a Darkspear Troll
Community Link Information: https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/invite/9bNjaMAFney?region=US&faction=Horde

I think people are interested. It's just that no one has managed to keep things going over the long term. I've seen a few come and go over the last year. Here's hoping all the trolls can come together and create something!

I do hope that this community grows to be more than 2 people.
I want to make a troll guild or co-lead one tbqh.
09/20/2018 02:04 PMPosted by Kerdic
I want to make a troll guild or co-lead one tbqh.

I wish you luck
More trolls would be great. The best way to make such a thing happen is to promote them, and show others how interesting they are. Lead by example.

I'm still looking for someone to write the troll section on the Horde RP beginners guide sticky thread. If you're interested, Yokumba, I'd love to have your input.

Or Kerdic, if you're thinking if moving to Horde! Researching racial lore is a really good step. It sets the foundations to help others who want to join in.
09/18/2018 10:07 PMPosted by Yokumba

I do hope that this community grows to be more than 2 people.

I hope it grows to be more than two people as well. Granted, I'm not very active in the Horde Union, or any Troll-based Discords.

And while it is a Darkspear community, I'd like to see more Troll RP and less isolation with the community as a whole.
09/20/2018 04:45 PMPosted by Flywheel
I'm still looking for someone to write the troll section on the Horde RP beginners guide sticky thread. If you're interested, Yokumba, I'd love to have your input.

I contemplated it, but I eventually decided that a single post would not be enough to discuss Darkspear Trolls (and I would have to limit it to Darkspear Trolls, due to the large amount of subraces) without painting with broad strokes. I am not a fan of using such broad strokes in beginner guides because it is often one of the first resources new roleplayers access and thus something upon which they lean heavily. It is a very formative time, and I am not a fan of promoting very generalized character concepts or making people believe that the universe of information is much smaller than it actually is.
Trolls are a unique case for to in that they suffer proportionately from it's uniqueness as well as benifit. On one side here is a racial monolith that stands on its own, but is riddled with such cultural nuance that , the broad strokes of generalization becomes almost intrinsic. It leads to people doing a stereotype out of sheer unfamiliarity with the culture which inspired the lore to start with. This is compounded by the West in general being unfamiliar, or having already prepackaged assumptions of the root culture that is not as subjective as, say knowing the difference from the url crusaders of the 1300's vs the scarlet crusade of tirsfal. There is overlap but familiarity of the url inspiration helps people walk the thin line and know how to express the spirit of that visage.

Most have no idea the difference between a Loa vs an Orisha or how a houngan's role in the community differs from that of a bokor, or Obeah-mon; and how every last one of these things I mentioned has an iteration in wow troll lore.

This is inherently the problem. Sprinkle in a bit of potential offense to individuals who may have c okme up in these traditions url and you are left with s o kme very binary communities of trolls either too intimidated by how much work it takes to make it feel more 'authentic vs folks who say damn it all and run head first into stereotypes that fall victim to redundancy and ultimately irrelevance.

This is no undertaking that can be done alone, but...it could be. Just understand trolls are a unique creature and body of work to deal with which extends to more than just a lore page (more like a lore site) and copy and pasting some tropes, it would take a full blown community lined wi th leaders elders and proper structure for the culture to express itself on a micro and macro level..

Hopefully this helped gather a sense of the picture at large
I really wanted to make a troll guild, did all the leg work, figured out a name, guild structure, story line, forum post but when it came time to get things going I came to the very sad conclusion that after leading guilds for years now I have truly grown to hate the process of making and running RP events. I love being a part of them but because of my anxiety it is to much stress for me now a days and I never could find anyone who loved making them sadly making my guild unable to get off the ground.
@Ragtul: Dat be a shame. An wi know from experience, runnin' a guild be na triflin' t'ing. It be like herdin' ghost cats.

Still... if dere be a Darkspear guild wit more den a few occasional alts in it, wi consider joinin'.
I would suggest with trying to recruit Troll players for Horde MG. Most of them are on WrA.
10/21/2018 09:00 AMPosted by Abhimanyu
I would suggest with trying to recruit Troll players for Horde MG. Most of them are on WrA.

I believe that is more of an answer to "How do we get more Trolls for a Troll guild?" rather than a status report on them.

I don't think anyone here is considering starting up a Troll RP guild, and I personally enjoy keeping my interactions with WrA to a bare minimum.
They died in Cata.
10/22/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Avrek
They died in Cata.

Nah, cause I was in one in MoP and I thought it was equally as healthy as the one I was in during Cata.
I think even if you hated running RP events, you could still make a decent guild with an active IC channel and lots of casual RP. All people want is interaction, not to just be ignored.
My husband (Zulrajai/Altarash) and I Azuu/Azuulai) keep up the Darkspear channel, while we do not run a Troll discord and I don't participate in the Troll Discords here's been my issues with more community based Troll RP:

People (mostly male characters) simply are not interested in RPing, with me at least, when they are told OOC (or IC) that my character is married. Maybe this is just my bad luck.

That said, I have a great guild. Were I not in Stormblade, there's a fair chance I'd make the attempt at running a Troll RP guild that was focused more on the culture and the unique aspects of the various Tribes. Making a broader community that is outside of a guild isn't in my interest because I have, unfortunately, run into plenty of drama.

The Darkspear channel barely exists. I can talk about it all day long, but at the end of the day, there is simply no interest in participation. The Troll community seems to have this preference for separating ourselves from even each other.

And though I've RPed Trolls on MG for the better part of 10 years and consider myself to be quite knowledgeable of Troll RP, I am no expert. That title goes undeniably to my husband (Altarash/Zulrajai). I have no intention of debating the status of the Troll RP community, I also believe that it's that way for a reason.

And like any other race-based community, it'll have its time in the sun once again.

That said, for those of you that are working on revitalizing it on MG, I have a channel. It was Darkspear only, but I'd love to have any Troll in there. That channel is a start.
10/24/2018 01:49 AMPosted by Flywheel
I think even if you hated running RP events, you could still make a decent guild with an active IC channel and lots of casual RP. All people want is interaction, not to just be ignored.

Your right, and I have not been able to get the urge to try to make the new guild out of my head so I think I might give it a shot, after all if the Troll community cant find a way to come together during an expac that right now is just huge amounts of troll lore when can it?