So what exactly is the point of Lava Lash?

The wild thing to me… I feel an “artifact-like” progression system for PvP abilities would feel really good to fill out for PvP’ers over the expansion. There’s no other reason to include certain effects, like mortal strike, in the game otherwise. And then the PvP trees could be balanced spec by spec to “even out” the competitive scene and leaves PvE in a bubble - so they can stop breaking PvE for PvP reasons.

what god no lol

nobody wants to have an incomplete toolkit in pvp, when it’s going to affect balancing like that, for significant periods of the expansion

playing legion as an off-spec at the launch was awful, let’s not do that again in any form, but especially pvp

1 Like

I mean, I wouldn’t mind it. I actually like the idea of lava whip and making enhancement this weird fusion between spellcaster and melee. It’ll play into our strength more of being a melee that can function well outside of melee range.

if Ascendance was base-line still, then that would literally be the final key to that style of play since Ascendance gives stormstrike a range and allows us to melee a target with auto attacks from outside melee range.

Yeah , I agree. I don’t mean to be an exact replica of the system. It’s clear some ideas worked while others didn’t. But I do think leveling an honor tree would be fun if it gave PvP benefits, and you could make some choices and BUILD into what you feel are the weaknesses in PvP. We’re getting a little off topic… My fault for the note, as we were talking about PvP talents.

Things like Mortal Wounds is a huge benefit for certain comps but not every spec had access to it. Running feral druid, ret paladin as your DPS in 3s will work, for example, but will almost always take a backseat to comps that can either kite into high dampening or have a Mortal Wounds or Necrotic Strike in their kit (partly speaking to the strength of healing). By letting enhancement drop 1-5 points into a 10% heal debuff, you can choose to go more mongo. As a counter option (tiers would have some exclusivity), you could maybe pick up a healing power buff that increased you healing by 15% per point, dropped Mana cost by 17.5% etc etc… You could make trees: OFFENSE | DEFENSE | UTILITY. Then let players build their way in PvP without ruining the alternate PvE silo.

They gutted defense from offensive classes and vice versa to streamline PvE encounter design, and it’s definitely working there. But PvP has not been as engaging as past iterations because of the loss of freedom and diversity other systems offered. That’s the “motivation” or guiding spirit behind feeling an artifact-like tree may be good for PvP. No clue on specifics more than that because as you point out, there are definite drawbacks.