So What Covenant?

So, since this is the story forums I can at least hope/assume that some thought was put into why each person chose their Covenant. At least for their mains. At least beyond the standard “what’s my best-in-slot”. As such, I am sort of curious what reasons people ultimately went with their Covie’s for their favorite characters, even if none of them happened be a perfect fit? Character reasons? Aesthetic reasons? Story reasons? Just didn’t like any of the others enough and defaulted on one?

Ultimately, I went with Maldraxxus for a few odd reasons:

• Alchemist: Pretty shallow, but they are very dirty Alchemy aesthetically.
  • Goblin: Building yourself up from nothing, and survival of the fittest? Not saying they’re good things … but those themes/rules are normal for Gobs and Gob society.
  • Shaman: The Elements only work their best when they are properly in balance, and Shaman’s jobs are to keep things that way. Same goes for Maldraxxus by the looks of things, just with 5 Houses instead of 4. There is a transition of duties there to some degree.
  • Horde: This one is the most bleak, and comes more for what I hope comes from the faction. Maldraxxus in 9.0 is a bit of a thematic microcosm of a lot of the Horde’s problems by the end of BfA … so if something so dysfunctional can be made to work in the absence of a “Primus” … maybe something as dysfunctional as the Horde can be made to work without a “Warchief”. Though, I do hope the Primus is still alive. He seems cool. :stuck_out_tongue:
4 Likes

My main is a night elf druid (battle priestess in RP terms) so Ardenweald was kind of a no brainer given a closeness for nature. It’s the only one of the covenants that feels like a true ‘rest’ for mortal spirits, as opposed to using them to protect the rest of the Shadowlands.

Also I would lowkey die for Lady Moonberry so that was also a factor.

4 Likes

I almost joined Ard just for her, but in the end it didn’t really fit this character that well.

1 Like

As a Kaldorei Druid, I am fairly sure there are fine print contractual obligations to be in the Nightfae covenant.

Not only is it literally the druid afterlife, but on a metagame level I know there will e important Kaldorei stuff I want for my Character to of been part of.

8 Likes

None of them seemed to be appropriate to me. I think part of it is that I don’t really care about my character as a troll or any other horde mage-available option, and I’m also starting to fall out of love with the class in general but I’m not really motivated to reroll to something else because I have a decade of inertia as one.

I went with Night Fae because it seemed like the best all-rounder performance option for mages just in case I try raiding again, and having 3 extra blinks when running old raid content. And while I didn’t pick it for this, I’m kind of in a “hit me harder, daddy” mood with the story so I may as well go for the Angry Tyrande hat trick.

5 Likes

Not only that, but the mogs and mounts are a pretty sweet bribe.

I’m doing Night Fae on Gal, and almost all my Night Elf alts to get each armor set. Except my DK, which is going Necrolord, and my DH, which… I guess might go Venthyr? That’ll leave my Draenei and LFD alts to take through Bastion.

I felt this on a personal level when they brought the eclipse mechanic back to Balance. I’ve… adapted to it, but I’m still not happy about it.

(But it still beats going Feral, amirite?)

1 Like

Unfortunately, I went Revendreth for my main for DPS versatility despite being a Shaman and desiring Night Fae. Ultimately, I advise people to choose Covenants based on which zone you find the most aesthetically pleasing, as you’ll spend too much time there.

Tilgath joined the Night Fae, obviously. Druid character in the nature zone. I also just liked it a lot on a personal level. The atmosphere, color palette, characters, story, etc. It was the perfect match all around for my main. And on the gameplay side, I liked their class ability the most, so it worked out there, too.

For my alts, the only one’s I’ve figured out already are:

Human DK: Necrolords. Because they fit him perfectly.
Undead Warlock: Necrolords. He’s actually more in line with the Venthyr personality wise, but he’d choose Necrolords solely for the greater insight into the origins of necromancy.
Draenei Mage: Bastion. Mostly because it’s the only place that vaguely fits.
Blood Elf Mage: Venthyr. Because of course.
Nightborne Mage: Venthyr. Same reasoning as above.

1 Like

I went with Revendreth purely because I liked the zone itself, spooky castles are my vibe, and I love mirror portals. Big favorite from D&D. I hated the characters at first, but they grew on me – tho I’m pretty frustrated that they’re letting the

Revendreth Spoiler

Naaru set up shop to “”“punish the Shadowlands”""
I’d have just killed it.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/97450060438044672/783162503948926986/SPOILER_unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/97450060438044672/783162616050483240/SPOILER_unknown.png

That said I very nearly went Maladraxxus because I love the characters and making abominations who are also actual legitimate characters. It was a hardwrought decision for me because I hate the idea of being a Revendreth butler.

In the end, it came down to one question: “Which zone am I going to hate spending my time in least?”

I was dead set on having my main here join the Night Fae once I learned it was the only way to experience the Vol’jin storyline in Shadowlands. It really helped that of the four zones this one felt the least annoying with the cliffhanger. Plus the story arc with Ysera was rather neat to see, especially with her rebirth.

For my alts, I have it planned out as:
Orc DK - Necrolords
Zandalari Paladin - Kyrian
Nightborne Shadow Priest - Venthyr.

1 Like

I went kyrian mainly just for the aesthetics. I like the open airy sunny atmosphere, the zone’s very pretty. Elysian Hold is such a pleasant hang out spot too.

RP wise really none of the four fit my girl well. The fighting spirits of the maldraxxi is a draw, but she isn’t fond of the zombie atmosphere. Ideologically the four covenants just aren’t her.

So I spun it as a different reason. Asana sees the kyrians as likable people, valuable to the Shadowlands and useful in the fight against the Jailer. And debt repayment to the spirit healers for keeping her alive all these years of accidental deaths.

6 Likes

I went with what was best for my main. And what was best for my wild hunter here was to be working with the Wild Hunt, spending time in a land of primal nature even in the lands of the dead and getting a feel for what was lost, both in terms of the lives lost and the ancestral connection to the forest the blood/high elves lost when the highborne separated from the night elves. And to pay a personal penance for not doing enough in the wake of Sylvanas’s power-mad decision to burn down Teldrassil.

It just so happened the night fae are also the best covenant (for now) for MM hunters.

And of course, they have the best transmog and fishing spot.

1 Like

Same here.

3 Likes

Plenty of reasons.

Personally, I’m not a nature guy that much, i respect nature and try not to be harmful towards it, but I never had much success dealing with it.

But I love Night Elf lore and characters, and it was my first contact with WoW, so Ardenweald has that same feel that made me enchanted with Shadowglen long ago.

RP wise, my character is kinda based on my personal view, he doesn’t personally do well with nature (no talent for being a druid or hunter), but respects it and feels a duty to protect its legacy and the legacy of kaldorei society, and being a monk means he has connections with the August Celestials which makes Ardenweald a good fit for him, not sure he would like to take an animal form when dead, but it seems to be optional even though every spirit in ardenweald is an animal.

Story wise, I want to live through the Night Warrior questline, I really am connected with that plot point.

Gameplay wise - Faeline stomp is by far the most fun Monk covenant ability, and soul shape fills the gap of avoiding fall damage that monks lack.

Extra points - Moonberry, Ysera and WQ are amazing characters.

Paladin. Kyrian. Shoe stringed reason is sense of duty and self sacrifice being a thing, yada yada yada.

Lorewise and Storywise, I feel like Daiza would actually end up being pushed into the Venthyr, if not by choice than by someone very obviously winking and nudging her into it, as she is a very hateful woman despite telling herself otherwise and it’d probably be best to work out that whole sinstone thing before biting it.

Why I didn’t actually choose venthyr for Daiza? Their plate armor is far too extra for me, and I’m not a terribly big fan of the blood red gothic theme of Revendreft.

1 Like

I won’t lie, it took me quite a bit to decide hahah. My decision boiled down to what most suited my characters aesthetic but also had a decent ability. I wasn’t too interested on % of stats, so I found this in the Necrolords.

Now people are really going to start getting us mixed up.

I kind of feel the same about Gal, and a few of my other characters. I mean, if the devs had never butt-pulled Ardenweald from a bit of Bastion concept art, an eternity of punishing the wicked isn’t a bad gig.

Oh I mean when she dies she’d likely end UP in Revendreft to be tortured straight. lol. So being a mortal sent there, I’d think would be to work out that punishment a bit before dying to hopefully dodge that bullet.

I went with the Ardenweald covenant, the mail armor looks so beautiful on a worgen, it’s the only set where the helm doesn’t look ridiculous.

Plus I love the Stag mount I got for just joining and the zone itself is beautiful

So I just saw that Huln Highmountain keeps his Tauren form in Ardenweald, so the only thing that i was in doubt i have an answer, Animal form is a power gained to the mortal spirits in ardenweald but is not mandatory and you don’t have to be on it. So Madhronir is 100% nightfae.

1 Like