So, what are the Shadowlands made of?

While playing, I came up with a doubt. I have understood that the Shadowlands are not in the physical plane, so, what is the earth I’m walking on made of? If my body is physical, how can it be possible for me to interact with everything in the Shadowlands that is supposedly not physical? Or maybe the Shadowlands are physical but with their own natural laws?

And for example, how do the powers of shamans work in the Shadowlands? Are there elemental spirits in there?

2 Likes

Steve Danuser said in a recent interview that the realms exist to serve whatever purpose imagined for that zone. he implies that the zones came into being as needed by intelligent design.

2 Likes

Concentrated ethereal energy, maybe? Maybe this energy was later reinforced by a huge influx of anima once the dead started coming.

The elementals appear to be summonable to the Shadowlands.

Be advised:

Summoner Marcelis and his cohorts are dabbling in dangerous magics. They are calling forth ashen elementals to ravage these Light-scorched lands.

We cannot let such acts continue.

Any who can are urged to put an end to this madness.

• Dispatcher Raluca

…but it’s unknown if the existing Rock lords are native elementals.
https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/932045-rock-lord.jpg

2 Likes

Everything seems to exist on the physical plane in Warcraft, you just have to look at the ‘invasions’ into the Shadowlands by other parties. For the Light or the Void to threaten the Shadowlands, they have to be able to interact with things. You could say that by entering the Shadowlands, other parties are now bound by the laws of that realm, but that’s no different than being able to interact by default.

Over all, the Shadowlands are similar to say, the Firelands. It’s just another dimension. Why do ‘mortal’ souls go there and form into bodies to live again? Well, the Titans… errr, First Ones, wanted the universe to work the way they thought fit.

2 Likes

It just works.

Soul stuff

One does not question the wind when it blows, the waves when they splash, the earth when it rocks, nor the fire when it burns.

I thought it was supposed to be made from and sustained by anima. It’s ‘physical’ but it’s not the same as our reality.