So thrall is no longer a shaman?

I feel like this is more about you thinking little of Rehgar than Blizzard ignoring others. I would argue that aesthetically Rehgar is fairly close to Thrall. So, it feels natural to me that when they build a kit for Thrall and then decide it doesn’t quite fit that Rehgar would be the natural one to think of. He would have fit a lot of the concept art. It may even have been model art was done and Rehgar was easier to convert. In short, there are reasons that Rehgar would be a natural replacement in HotS. And, lets be honest here: We are talking about HotS, which should not to be used as any indication of lore in WoW.

Either Thrall is going to end up becoming a Warrior and that’ll be his new path, or, he’ll go on a lengthy quest with players accompanying him to regain his connection to the Elements and become a Shaman once more.

My bets are on the second. We’re due for a Cataclysm Repeat. Legion meshed BC and Wrath together. BFA is blatant MOP. We’re just waiting for a new Cata/WoD.

His new model points toward him reconnecting with the Frostwolves, specifically Drek’thar. He might not be world-shamaning it up, but it would be disappointingly short-sighted to bump him down to a denatured me-smash. Just as it would be criminal to kill him off at this point.

So, basically, even if his shaman jive is on ice for now, I wouldn’t expect that to stay the case.

1 Like

I personally don’t see his model as a sign of his class. Shamans can use axes. I used them on my orc shaman in vanilla.

1 Like

I think Thrall will go down the path of Durotan. Since his Father was more of a Warrior Chief than a Shaman one.

I’m actually hoping the old boy reconnects with his shamanic roots. Not to the extent where he becomes green Jesus again but enough so that he can at least conjure a little bit of lightning

That may be a very common misconception lass. The Artifacts did not get their power sucked from them but rather the other way around. They were used to suck the corruption out of the sword to prevent it from seeping into Azeroth. This is why at the end of Legion all of our Artifact Weapons got superpowered.

This is also likely why they got locked up. They’d become too powerful for even the Class Order Champions to wield. That and giving us a reason to farm green weapons once again.

As for the Weapon type argument. My Shaman here has always used an axe. One of Doomhammer’s alternate skins is even one. Well the Elemental off-hand is. The Doomhammer I just Mog into my axe pre-Legion.

Thrall was a Warrior before he was ever a shaman. Let’s not forget this. Now that is not saying he could not or didn’t go back to this path after Warlords. The reality of it is, he lost his confidence due to the guilt in what he had to do to Garrosh. The Doomhammer was only a shaman weapon in his hands, before that it was just the Warchief’s weapon.

Thrall could still have some shamanistic power, but his ability to talk to the elements is not directly linked to them actually listening to him. Remember in Cataclysm – Or was it prior? – where he was at the Maelstrom and asked for aid only for the Fire Lord to finally answer and give him a vision. Thrall felt like he’d been loosing his connection to the Elements for while now. The Elements don’t care if Thrall thinks he cheated or actually did in the duel. They lost respect for him because he lost it in himself.

To call on the Elements as a shaman and command their power you have to be able to have something they want or command a certain level of respect from them. Dark Shaman force this with decay magic and Mages do so with arcane. I do not believe Thrall has not lost the power to talk to the elements, they just refuse to listen to him. Similar to how he felt on Draenor. When he stepped through the Dark portal he could no longer commune with those of Azeroth and those of Draenor didn’t have any respect for him. He even comments as such. That may have changed throughout the story but I am not sure.

2 Likes

That overcharge however eventually burned them out like an Algernon effect. That’s what’s described as happening to Titanstrike at least during the rescue Hati questline. and if you open up the artifact panel it specifically says that the artifact power was sacrificed.

There’s no point in giving Doomhammer back to Thrall because it’s dead.

This does not make any sense.
Thrall has to continue to be shaman and powerful.

2 Likes

Tell that to Xal’atath.

Just because they’re depowered now doesn’t mean they can’t be repowered in the future.

1 Like

Besides, it is more than just a hammer. It is a symbol. One that should be returned to its owner.

2 Likes

It’s most likely going to be an arch of him regaining his powers and coming to terms with Garrosh and his failures with him. I imagine it ending with a full power thrall being gifted a re empowered doomhammer

Technically speaking it’s owner is now the Farseer of the Earthen Ring. Just like it had an owner before Thrall.

He lost his powers because he no longer believes in himself after his failure with Garrosh.

He will probably get them back after he saves the Horde from Sylvanas.

1 Like

Thrall is the Wow version of Thor, he has an axe now, eye patch soon to follow.

1 Like
1 Like

I mean… It’s the theme of the entire expansion.

4 Likes

Legion was just BC. There is DK story that is making Bolvar powerful, so my bet would be a whole new xpac on Bolvar himself.

It was BC and Wrath. We had the Vykrul making a return, Dalaran as a capital again, fighting together against a common foe, etc… Replace Scourge with Burning Legion and there ya go.

Frostmourne was destroyed long before artifacts entered the picture.

1 Like