So the new Ariel is black right now

You’re the only one acting this way, here. Defensive and aggressive, with nothing mature or relevant to say. Seriously, go back and check. You’re projecting, and that’s something that can generally be controlled with a deep breath and a clearing of the mind.

Also, as I’ve begged of you more than once, READ THE THREAD.

That’s a direct answer to your question, albeit with a different person as the subject. Same thing, though.

Here’s another person that answered you already:

So, the unambiguous answer is “no.” I certainly wouldn’t, and I don’t think the other poster would, find it acceptable to cast an actor of Nigerian descent (Freeman) in the role of a person of Welsh descent (Davis), in a historically accurate movie about the President of the Confederacy. That’s ridiculous, and you know it.

But we aren’t talking about a war biopic here, are we? We are talking about a Disney cartoon. In a Disney cartoon, the “race” (of a mermaid?!?!) and/or skin color is inconsequential.

If you want to argue purity of art, “staying true to the original,” etc., then where’s your thread on the lack of hand-drawn animation in modern films? It’s all CG these days; hand-drawn art in films is all but a memory, which is quite a travesty. That’s an actual art form that is becoming lost.

That argument is far more worthy of discussion than colors of characters.

2 Likes

Good luck getting them to realize that, I mean, just look at the post they made to start this whole thing

In which they quote me saying that you want to be historically accurate in a history movie to ask me if a history movie should have accurate casting.

1 Like

Oh, jeez. I didn’t realize the “Inception” of it all. What is this, five levels deep?

Lol…

1 Like

Oh, girl. Do you really want the minefield of an explanation of why they chose to go that way? Better than me telling you, I’ll let one of the Writers explain it at the 18:00 mark.

OP, I feel Disney is being really stupid here. If they want a strong “ethnic” woman lead in a film adapted from one of their properties, why not go with Elisa Maza from Gargoyles?

1 Like

Because the true strong ethnic female lead of Gargoyles is clearly Desdemona. Nothing is more ethnic than a winged warrior woman with an 80’s haircut.

1 Like

Good thing they’re both from the same show, we both would win.

1 Like

Literally this. People are accepting it as being woke, but they shouldn’t be. It’s lazy, and it basically says “Sorry, real African fairy tales aren’t good enough for Disney, so we’ll keep rehashing the same movies with race-bent characters instead. Praise us for diversity!”

They’re doing the same thing to the Witcher series coming to netflix apparently.

4 Likes

Netflix witcher writer tldr: “We blackwashed the Witcher cast because Americans are racists!”

I love how she’s trying to sell us that the people that would slit some kids throat because of his ears or height would totally be okay with different skin colors. And then we the audience are asked to suspend our disbelief because she couldnt even be bothered to justify her lazy world building

God damn usa producer decides her country is so important that its own peculiarities should seep into a work of fiction conceived in a completely different place and inspired by completely different people.

1 Like

It’s not really an American thing; more of HOLLYWOOD, which infects media with their distortions. Because of this, the average American wouldn’t know a good film if it bit him.

1 Like

So does everyone have enough tin foil in here to protect themselves? I can run out and get more if you need it.

3 Likes

Yeah wasn’t the witcher created to be in a polish themed setting? Polish people being one of the most underrepresented people in media?

There are four hundred million of us. What the “average American” can or cannot do doesn’t fit into a tiny little box.

In addition, would the average Mongolian? Would the average Canadian? The average Welshman? Where on Earth would they know a good film?

Or, do you mean people, in general?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I get it now. After what you posted in the music thread about being proud your ancestors “roflstomped” Mexico a couple hundred years ago… yeah… I know exactly what your angle is now. Of course you want Ariel to be white.

4 Likes

LMAO. Grab me one, just so I can blend in.

Keep in mind, many folks here need to wear four to seventeen of them at once. Better bring extra.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

There are days I feel like I really should have invested in Alcoa…

1 Like

Alcoa and “Shield Headwear”:

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Oh joy of joys, here we go.

Just for reference…

1 Like

If you seriously think that ‘American’ means ‘white’, then you have some issues of your own.

Read all my posts again, for homework.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll continue with you here.

You should heed your own advice, this is the second time you’ve claimed to be in agreement with me, while completely - completely- missing my point.

You brought up Mexico, not me. LIke I said before, I’m above all this race nonsense, and it’s reflected in my posts.

You said.
You were proud.
That your ancestors / kin
“Roflstomped into Mexico”

…when I never said anything about Mexico at all.

Get it? You hated on the country, and by context the race of the person I was arguing with. There was no other Mexican person in the discussion, nor anything else being spoken about Mexico. We weren’t talking about old wars or American sovereignty.

You said what you said because dude is Mexican.

Conversely, I hated on the criminal, regardless of race. Race is irrelevant. In fact, I went out of my way several times to point out that the culture he was promoting was anything but Mexican. Mexican culture is to be loved and respected. Gang and crime culture, on the other hand, is not.

Come on, now, son, you just made that up outta thin air. I never said that.

What I did say was:

First of all, that is actually your standpoint on the Ariel issue.

Second, in a discussion about crime and gangs - where, incidentally, the race of one of the people in the discussion is Mexican - yes, I think it’s racially insensitive to waltz in and say how proud you are that dude’s country was “roflstomped.” Hence, the “of course.” You lack racial sensitivity; it’s buried under all that pride.

4 Likes

Off topic but when are you gonna Break out some sick beats?

2 Likes

I do almost daily. Here’s the first one I posted today: