So the new Ariel is black right now

I think she’s confusing Aladdin with The Little Mermaid.

And the Danish part of the story is Prince Eric. Disney blended the Greek mythology into it. So, in that story, Ariel is Greek. And Greeks come in black skin tone.

1 Like

the danish part of the story is Ariel, the entire over all plot. Everything.

If the danish story did not exist, there is no disney movie.

3 Likes

She’s not Danish. She’s Atlantean. Ariel was born in the sea. Eric is the Dane. His kingdom is located in the Danes.

And the story would exist regardless of the Danish origin. European pirates would still mistake manatees for merfolk. The story would just be a hell of a lot more horny.

1 Like

I am not talking about the story of mermaids.

I am talking about “Ariel, the Little Mermaid”.

In the original story she was not Atlantean.

In the original story she was not greek.

Ariel (and the Disney movie) would not exist if it wasn’t for Hans Christian Andersen writing it.

I don’t believe the city was ever named. Ariel’s father was never named either. That is all additional creative license by Disney. They were not named in the original story.

3 Likes

My problem with black ariel is not so much the gender swapping, but I mean Ariel is just so iconic. Pale white skin, beautiful red hair and lips. Changing that just makes me lose all interest in the character because it makes me want to see that original Ariel.

#notmyariel

4 Likes

Her hair is still going to be red. Red hair dye and lipstick exist.

As for the skin, that…sounds vaguely racist. The hashtag confirms it. Messed up.

2 Likes

That isn’t an…off…hash tag. Its just saying the person does not like the current Ariel.

I just find it interesting how swapping can only go a certain way. Scarlett Johanson gets ridiculed for being cast in Ghost in the Shell, or other minority roles. She replies that she is an actor, and its literally her job to act as things she isn’t. The world erupts in outrage.

This happens? “calm down guys. doesn’t matter if you are taking a danish cultural story and swapping things around”.

4 Likes

I have not seen that hashtag after a tweet that wasn’t spouting some real racist things.

I’ve seen it constantly used in ways not like that. I am really trying to avoid certain words so the thread doesn’t get locked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahem

As a Moonguardian, I can confirm that someone’s preference for skin color is regards to physical appearances is classified as a Fetish. Given the punny Worgen’s description of '89 Ariel, that’s his type or close to it. The hashtag is just part of the same bandwagon that was bashing the Fresh Blueberry of Bel Air a couple of months back.

Based off that one post alone, he’s not racist. You’re barking up the wrong tree. Get it? Cause he’s a Druid!

1 Like

Triton is the son of Poseidon, so it is Greek. In the Disney universe, Ariel’s dad and Hercules are cousins. Greeks were not dark skinned. Hercules, Zeus, Triton, and Ariel were not dark skinned. Never, in any version of the lore, were any of them dark skinned.

1 Like

In the original Ariel story, Triton is not Ariel’s fathers name.

In the Disney Hercules TV series, there is a Triton. But he is clearly not the Triton of Ariel’s movie.

1 Like

Icarus was dark skinned. Plenty of the characters on the TV show were. And real world Greeks are dark to olive skinned.

The MODERN RW Greeks are; the Greeks of antiquity were NOT.
The original Doeran/Aachean genotype was …‘replaced’, when Greece was invaded first by the Romans and later by the ever-expanding moslim caliphates: with the usual predictable results.
Look it up, before you start calling me names.

So let me get this straight. The Little Mermaid is about a mermaid, a mythological creature. Her world is inhabited by talking fish and crabs, as well as monsters and magical powers. And the part that people can’t accept is that the mermaid is black?

1 Like

I didn’t call you a name.

The Little Mermaid is a reboot of the original Disney animated movie with a red headed white girl, which has been recast as a black girl because of “being woke” and other nonsense like that. THAT’S what people can’t accept.

3 Likes

Why does it matter that she has been recast as black? Does it hurt the story? Does the movie no longer work with a black main character? Is it wrong if Disney perhaps wants to appeal more to a black audience?

1 Like

BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL ONE WAS WHITE. It’s like making the princess in Princess and the Frog white. This is a remake of a Disney classic, you don’t make such changes. And yes, it is wrong if Disney wants to appeal to a certain race. They should’ve stuck with the classic appearance and it wouldn’t have bothered ANYONE. If this had been done the other way around there would be an even bigger outrage.

1 Like

So in what way was Ariel’s skin and hair color of any importance to the plot?