So I picked Necrolord (Havoc) and seems to be top DPS on sims?

I picked Necrolord solely because I despise anything Rainbows and Unicorns… and love the leather MOG for Necrolord.

According to Bloodmallet, Castingpatchwerk sim, Plague Deviser Marileth is top in DPS of all soulbinds:
http s://bloodmallet.com/chart/demon_hunter/havoc/soul_binds/castingpatchwerk

DISCLAIMER: I am not smart and not well versed on all the stats/graphs/sims etc… I just happened to find this during server downtime and though “Is this right?”. I was always told Necrolord is the worst for Havoc, but of course I didn’t care.

Am I missing something?

Its Kevins fault.

4 Likes

It does sim the best. I’m a necro dh and I love it. You just miss out on the on demand burst from The Hunt and you also lose out on the extra mobility, which is pretty nice for our momentum build.

1 Like

You win the internet today.

Just a huge disclaimer right now bloodmallet is completely wrong about havoc DH on all accounts including talents right now, not to say necrolord isn’t good.

That’s a good point. The burst DPS is definitely not the same.

Ahhh interesting point… so are you saying that the numbers would be totally different if they used the talents of a momentum build? Wouldn’t it still be the same results?

Also, you said “all accounts” - What else?

I really like the idea of the killing demons to consume their soul and gain a damage buff. Practically speaking, the timing of the spawns and picking up the soul don’t always feel very good. With all the visual noise, sometimes the soul is hard to see. Maybe I just need more practice. My Necrolord DH is a second DH specifically rolled to engage the covenant. Regardless, my intuition on sims versus actual… necrolord may sim well but one won’t see similar results in game.

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed this as well… especially fodder of the flame for those of us that don’t raid. It procs for me a lot… however, 95% of the time by the time I throw glaive and kill it there are no more MOB’s around me lol.

Still, thematically, it is by far the best and that is enough for me. If I went Night Fae I would have quit the game by now.

2 Likes

I wish more people chose what makes them happy with covenants like this. My mains, druid and demon hunter, are Kyrian for reasons that have nothing to do with player power.

Necro DH isn’t a bad choice. It’s not the greatest, but it’s not bad either. It’s up to your preference.

Yes essentially your padding the meters with an auto kill glaive throw. This normally accounts for about… hmm I want to say 10 percent of my damage.

dps-fodder-flame
As Vengence

Don’t get me wrong I love necrolord but it really is not as good as other choices you have control over. It does make those parses look good though.

I got to a point about a month into SL where I got sick of wondering if my Covenant was best and went with what’s most fun. Why? Because screw Ion. SL systems are horrible, and I might as well try to have some fun while waiting for this trash xpac to finish already.

2 Likes

That’s your choice. The fault is with blizzard, though. Putting player power behind covenants is an obvious issue and many people tried to tell blizzard it’s not good design.
No reason powers couldn’t have been universal and covenants would simply be unique for aesthetic and fantasy, but this is trademark blizzard since bfa. They design systems that are overly complex and too difficult to balance and you end up with 99% dh’s going night fae because it’s simply the best covenant.

To op, the only sim that matters is your own sim. Bloodmallet is a meme. Otherwise, unless you’re a top mythic raider and you care about min/maxing, i promise you the biggest determinant in your dps is skill, not covenant choice. Play what you want to play. When you get to the point where a boss had .5% health when your raid group wiped, and you come to the conclusion that if you had chosen a different covenant, the boss might be dead, then you should consider choosing a covenant for player power.

So I totally understand this, but that also isn’t a simple statement. When I run keys, or Heroic groups or whatever, the competitive side in me wants to be at the top of the parse… that’s just how I am wired. So every 1% makes a difference. But then I want the individualism as well… and frankly, if it were Necrolord that 99% of the Havocs played I would probably be here asking about Venthyr or Kyrian instead because I am not into conforming unless its essentially forced.

Kevin is never at fault. It’s a precious blob of goo.

I went Nightfae on my DH because I like Jetpacks.

I’m actually tempted to go night fae for this dh.