So I guess the level squish is official now

You weren’t arguing in good faith.

So much for that slippery slope!

Uh yes I was, I just used Elwynn as an example.

… they implement something being asked for over a decade later isn’t really a slippery slope.

The leveling squish NEEDS to happen.

Stat growth is damn near useless now thanks to how inflated everything is (even with the two ilvl squishes). Stat growth makes little character difference. Less than .5% on damage between the races.

You know what makes players actually feel good? Gaining abilities and Passives. Even if they are tiny 1% increases. I would rather have 60 levels of actual progress and character growth than 120 levels with a good 40 of them (some times lower, some times higher depending on the class/spec).

Not just that, they have actually stated (the being blizzard) that those empty levels are problematic.

It’s actually one thing the old talent system has advantage wise over the MoP/current talent system. Those tiny power increases with talent points each level actually felt good, even if they were overall meh thanks to how they eventually all add up.

One way they could actually fix the leveling with out actually doing a squish is by introducing a leveling talent tree. By max level have every maxed out (so only say 110 talents to choose from, starting at level 10). But that is only a small issue to the larger one that leveling currently does not feel good.

Blizzard essentially needs to write a story and update WoW to the point were we essentially have WoW 2 but with our WoW 1 characters adjusted for it. Because the current systems are showing signs of breaking under the ever increasing need of levels, powers, and growth.

4 Likes

You picked the Alliance starting zone as an obvious strawman.

You have people asking for the removing of levels since BC? Now that’s interesting…

Opinion.

Because of how homogenized they made everything through scaling. There is no sense of progression because you slog your way through everything. BY DESIGN.

They literally intended for this to take more time, so people would get frustrated with the system. The fact that people don’t see this, is interesting. It would be like trusting the doctor who messed up the first operation to have a second chance on fixing the problems they created in the first place!

They can’t do their current squishes correctly, but hey…let’s trust that they won’t botch this one completely!

…because reasons.

5 Likes

No? I picked Elywenn cause you’re human, if you were a different race I would have picked their starter.

Not me but I have seen calls for it since Cataclysm’s only to 85 leveling scheme was revealed.

Which has always existed, you never overtook your equivalent level encounters unless your were overgeared.

1 Like

If it takes the same time to level i dont understand why they would lower the number.

6 Likes

Gives you abilties/talent every level rather than every 10 or so.

1 Like

Is this Durnholde again?? Cause the OP just owned you

1 Like

To remove all the “empty” levels where your character gains nothing but a number. You have 7 talents and maybe 40 total “spells” in your spellbook with a good number being passives. The number varies based on class and specialization but it’s pretty low with 120 total levels.

And due to the structure of current leveling and benchmark levels you’ll get several abilities at specific levels or within the span of 3 to 5 levels but have spans of 5+ levels with nothing.

Even when you do get something it’s often underwhelming and doesn’t make the specialization, game play, or rotation feel better.

Level scaling makes this worse because your character doesn’t gain in power through the leveling process now unless you specifically get a super OP talent that drastically affects the time it takes to kill a mob.

Then you have the fact that we’ve gotten nothing new (baseline to our specs) in 2 expansions and all basic progression stops at 100 now except for item level and throwaway single expansion grind gimmicks.

As Laeth says, less levels equates to more abilities coming faster and with better pacing.

1 Like

You realize that isn’t actually very common…right?

Level 89 is the only point of leveling up as shaman, for example, that I go more than 10 levels without a new ability/talent.

And then from there on out?

For Fury Warrior our last ability is at 80, and then we get a Talent at 90 and 100, nothing else from 80 to 120

From level 1 - 110, level 89 is the only time leveling as a shaman (any spec) you go more than 10 levels without a new ability/spell.

You don’t get “nothing else from 80 to 120”. You get a talent at 90 and 100.

1 Like

And only that, 40 levels, only two abilities.

Not really, with them asking these questions than it is a solution to a problem that they know that is actually happening. The issue is that leveling sucks. Leveling sucked before scaling mobs and after due to the lack of abilities

That’s your opinion that they ruined the squishes

That is your opinion there.

The stats gained through leveling up doesn’t matter because of the homogenized scaling.

The stats don’t matter since how inflated the stats are through gear and ilvl progression. That is the fact of the matter. They haven’t mattered since Wrath before any world scaling was introduced. The stat increases from leveling up haven’t mattered much since the difference between agility on an orc vs a troll is 4, a number so insignificant with how high stats are now so that those stat growths don’t really matter. You’ll gain more power from just equipping a green gear piece when you level vs the power gained from those base stats.

If this was Vanilla or even TBC then I would say those base stat gains matter a lot. Because the ilvl was so low that even gaining 1-2 in a stat could produce a lot of difference.

Hey, I am talking about going more than 10 levels without a new ability. You don’t do it from 80 to 110.

But you do from 100 to 120.

Just from 111 to 120. Not 100 to 120. :man_shrugging:

The last Talent is unlocked at 100.

I was daunted at 110 when I started playing in Legion. But to be fair, with gold and getting looms, the grind was more about me not knowing what was in each zone or leveling by dungeons.

Yes. I know. So level 111 is the first time you go more than 10 levels without a new talent.