So I guess the level squish is official now

Level squish is worst idea ever.

8 Likes

Makes it hard to even debate when our opinions thoughts or concerns dont seem to strike them where it hurts anymore.

1 Like

Very interesting. I didn’t get that survey personally.

I don’t see an option in the e-sports questions that e-sports are terrible and have no place in MMOs.

I’d rather limit e-sports to games that were built from the ground up with e-sports in mind than trying to fit in into a game that simply wasn’t made for it.

I think it leads to too much focus on numbers balancing and then you wind up with the devs pruning to make things easier to balance while forgetting that some of us chose certain specs because of some aesthetic or gameplay elements that no longer exist. Frost dk is ruined for me after the Legion changes; it was one of my favorite specs when I could use a 2h and when we had larger CLASS toolkits (presences for example, every spec having army of the dead like all specs really should have since we’re all DKs regardless of spec, etc.). Ok that’s a bit of a tangent but I think e-sports has a share of the blame in ruining WoW class design.

1 Like

Well, maybe it benefits Activision as a whole if WoW goes down in flames. IDK.:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I call bull on that. Maplestory likes to say hi. Max lecel 250 and If I recall it’s even upping soon (korean version soon na) The levels aren’t the problem. Squishing them won’t solve anything. Levels aren’t the problem, imo. You’ll still have the issues we do now with and without a level squish. Nothing will get solved via level squish. Maplestory shows you can have loads of leveling to do but not feel like how people “claim to fell” in wow when it comes to leveling. It’s more to it than the number of levels.

7 Likes

It was WoWhead or icyveins that also made a post about this as well this morning. Blizzard is actually considering a level squish for future expansions. The question becomes, what level would they squish down to?

“Actually considering”.

No. It’s a foregone conclusion. That’s why they keep bringing it up, so we’ll be prepared when they implement it. They first mentioned it in exactly the same way as they did with level scaling.

I figure they’re going to use this as an opportunity to gut old content even more.

10 Likes

Ahhh i get it with all of the pruning done to all the classes they think if they drop us to level 60 they might just be able to make it seem like we get stuff each level.

News flash if you give me a talent at 120 and change it to 60 its the same crap talent.

2 Likes

$60 to boost a character is more than the base expansions cost. Sticker shock kills a lot of possible sales.

$40 would sell more units, but to arbitrarily change the service price would look weak, like Blizzard no longer believes their boosts are worth $60.

To save face they have to change WHAT they’re selling to change HOW MUCH they’re charging for it.

So they squish. 2/3rds the price for 1/2 the levels. With more allied races on the way, they know that more players will want boosts, and more will buy them if the price is more reasonable.

And the cost to deploy a boost remains the same to Blizzard, so whatever combination nets them the most profit is what they’re gonna aim for.

3 Likes

That seems profoundly unlikely.

But, heck… so do a lot of other things Blizzard has decided needed doing lately.

3 Likes

I admire your optimism. I really don’t think Blizzard cares about how we feel regarding this. It’s going to happen because Blizz said so.

5 Likes

I suppose so.Then again,I wonder how many players say screw it I quit and leave totaly.

1 Like

Blizzard may just drop all the vanilla dungeons and raids from live/retail entirely if Classic works out well.

And then start selling “Character Migration” services to move players from classic to retail.

It’s confirmed on wowhead.

Time for classic to take over. Retail can get retired and classic can take us onto a new journey. Imagine it as a game level pick a path adventure novel. If they do not do this we will get to a point where stat crunches, ability pruning, raid tuning, dungeon tuning, loot tuning, etc…will eat at so much development time that new xpacs suffer for it. Hell, we are already seeing this.

1 Like

I doubt it.

They find it inconvenient to support the old content we have, therefore they’ll remove most of it before migrating the game to mobile.

While apparently increasing the amount of time spent leveling in order to push more boosting sales.

Less to do while leveling + longer leveling = more customers? Nope. The game and subs will continue to shrink as they make it more and more unpleasant for alts and new players to level.

3 Likes

The level squish, in and of itself, would solve nothing. Anything they do on top of the level squish could be done more easily without worrying about the squish breaking stuff.

They put a lot of work into making the world scale with the player, that’s not going to go away just because they do the squish. So mobs will continue to level up right along with us.

And that would cause even more problems, leveling will never go away. If we do a squish, they’ll either squish us to 50 and the expansion cap will be 60, or they’ll squish us to 60 and the expansion cap will be 70.

The level squish is going to be just like the stat squishes, a temporary band-aid until the number gets “too big” again.

11 Likes

Not entirely the same from 1 to 120, though mostly because of Blizzard’s own lack of foresight and poor quality changes such as the last stat squash.

There are some rough parts where the scaling left areas like parts of WoD full of bullet sponge mobs with entirely too much HP compared to player damage.

There are also outliers such as the XP from WoD treasures, WoD bonus areas, and Legion invasions that allow players to level much quicker through certain areas than others.

Also the power curve from 110-120 is highly inverted, where a 110 with any bit of gear and legendary items plays like god mode, while 119 until capped with 350+ gear is just a nasty slog.

As far as a level squash - I really don’t care, though if it just changes numbers and doesn’t significantly reduce time to level and / or massively improve the current leveling experience, then it will be like putting lipstick on a pig.

2 Likes

The survey has pretty much been shown to be legit at this point. I received one as well, so already knew this was not a hoax.

Even Wowhead is talking about it now, so I think we are past the “prove you are telling the truth” stage of the game.

3 Likes

Right before Legion ended, I leveled a druid from scratch and how anyone could say there was “progression” involved in that, I don’t know. Under the old system, if you stayed right on the borderline of green/yellow mobs, you got all the XP you wanted and were never in danger. As far as doing max-level content for those levels, you had no way to do it because no one else was doing it. I was even on Stormrage server at the time and I mentioned once about putting together a raid group to do Molten Core at level and the suggestion was met with derision. Why do it if you’re just going to outlevel all that gear as soon as you kill the first trash mob in Outland?

Having everything forever welded to their at-the-time level only makes sense for twinks. Then if you get a big enough group of twinks, everyone can stop XP at 60 and go raid MC and kill Rag for years and talk about what great fun they’re having. Meanwhile, the actual game is taking place at level 120.

There is no such thing as “progression” except at whatever is current retail content. Any “progression” you feel in vanilla, BC, Northrend, etc., zones is just an illusion, and you can dispel it at any time by going to the set of xpac zones that follows whatever you’re currently doing.

4 Likes