So I guess the level squish is official now

Ac[quote=“Jops-zuljin, post:196, topic:197957”]
Exactly. And for what? Number games.

How is saying “I’m 12 leap years old” better than saying “I’m 48 years old”.

It’s the same thing. Changing units of measurement won’t make the game more fun. And changes that will help? Those can be done without a squish.
[/quote]

actually in game design changing numbers can 100% be fun. It’s why hacky mobile games and clicker games will increase numbers into the decillions and beyond.

It is also why a lot of games actually feature low level caps unless they have some type of system that lets players infinitely gain power in some way along with infinitely scaling enemies. Or they have a high cap but it’s just so hard to reach and leveling is just so fun and rewarding (like path of exile).

It also isn’t just a number change. It would affect ability spread and can also affect pacing.

???

I started seeing it in game, i don’t know what to tell you.

That’s not how i used “a lot”, and not by much.

Just the same as when you had older gear and went to a higher level area to replace, as its always been.

Not really, since you cant really see the differences leveling alone provides.

I did. There was never a point where higher level stuff was easier because you were higher level than lower level stuff just because you were low level.

No, me disagreeing.

Good, that means they do something with leveling.

I got it too yesterday. From the official Blizzard email (compared it to the previous one i got from hearthstone, diablo3 etc) and it was the same one OP posted.

4 Likes

So, your source is…“it’s out there, really credible, and nearly as old as the game itself.”

Well, I suppose no one could argue with that…

Except in a real debate/discussion.

It’s still more than zero, no matter how you want to try and use it.

If nothing changed, scaling is an unnecessary change.

If that’s the case it should be removed since it does nothing for the game.

And since that’s the case, level removal shouldn’t happen since it will equally be a “nothing” change. Using your argument.

Then you must not have been paying attention. Because there was a point where you were more powerful than the mobs in the zone. In fact, it was one of the things people said was “fixed” by scaling.

The equivalent of “nuh uh” is handwaving. In debate like this, you need to offer something more substantive.

1 Like

Your choice, have at it, but don’t tell others how they should play and enjoy the game.

3 Likes

I wish I got that email.

What? /10 characters

I just said “i starting seeing calls for it back then.” shrugs

Not really helping your argument.

Scaling allows players to level up in the areas they want to level up in.

That’s not using my argument at all. And what will change is levels will actually matter more again.

When you outleveled/outgeared them, there was never an instance of going to an area appropriate to your level and being stronger than the mobs there.

I have, the “not really” response was because you were repeating the same thing over and over.

Those numbers usually go up, not down though. Or they get encapsulated, not replaced. :slight_smile:

They can adjust pacing without squishing and vice versa.

If the goal is to obfuscate the problem by playing shell games with numbers… It’s perfect. If they actually want to improve conditions… This ain’t it.

2 Likes

You leave Shell Game out of this.

2 Likes

Then your sources can be “shrugged” off since you can’t provide any.

You said none, then “not a lot.” That’s literally helping my argument.

Not what was being discussed.

It was. You said “as it always has been.” Meaning that nothing changed from before to after which shows the change was in fact useless.

“Let’s make something matter by removing it!”

I wonder if that principle would apply to deforestation.

“Let’s make forests matter by cutting down trees!”

Obvious circular reasoning. “I gave a more substantive reply…because I did.”

Well, there’s a perfect descriptor for this. Basically, they want to keep hiding their bad decisions behind more squishes, scaling, and now level removal.

“shell game,” is perfect.

1 Like

I did this too, thanks for pointing it out. This survey is good and extensive.

Interesting, for me it asked the same question but the price was $40

They really broke the power progression. I didn’t see any questions about it in the survey.

It’s very telling, that even now - their solution to ‘fixing’ a core problem with the game is to remove something.

Let’s not change XP values to make leveling less garbage, let’s not ‘add’ back some old abilities that are almost universally wanted back by their respective classes, no no, we can’t do that, that would be ‘bloat’. We have to cut everything fun or interesting out of the game. Fun is a cancer, after all.

5 Likes

It’s chatter, I never claimed it was official statements or the like.

I did not.

It validates scaling, which was being discussed.

Wooooooooooow. Not even remotely what I was talking about.

Levels as a mechanic aren’t being removed, the inflated levels would be.

You’re going a bit off the deep end there, this is a game.

My posts had my replies, when you keep repeating the same thing over and over my responses became succinct rather than copy/pasting my replies.

rolls eyes

I was making a joke about the ingame WQ Shell Game.

Leveling a lot of levels faster and having levels mean something are two different things.

This I can get behind.

1 Like

While true, squishing levels won’t magically make the leveling experience any different, unless they alter XP values anyway.

Ok but they get a level boost. They only have to do 10 levels. lol

1 Like